PDA

View Full Version : Formating a 1TB external HDD on Windows XP

Renmoo
10-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Dear all,
How long would it take to reformat such a massive capacity hard drive? I have just been given a half-working 1TB external hard drive to fix. The owner "just wanted it to start working". It does not have any data in it. Since this morning my laptop has been trying to format the drive, but I haven't got any idea whether it is progressing or not (the status does say "formatting" though).

Under the properties of the hard drive, it says "RAW" with respect to the format type (rather than FAT32 or NTFS).

Cheers :)

pctek
10-02-2009, 02:27 PM
5 minutes. Tick Quick format.

Renmoo
10-02-2009, 02:50 PM
What's the difference between that and proper formatting? Which one is preferred?

Paul.Cov
10-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Took me 3 or so hours to foramt a SATA connected drive of that size with NTFS.
Dunno about RAW. Maybe it is preferred for whatever software / drivers do the talking between the drive and Windows.

Paul.Cov
10-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Proper formatting checks the entire disc surface for errors, and marks bad areas as unavailable.

Quick format only does that to the FAT / directory areas, and sets their contents to null.
If the drive is troublesome, better to suffer through a long format.

CYaBro
10-02-2009, 02:56 PM
What's the difference between that and proper formatting? Which one is preferred?

If you think the drive could be dodgey then do a full format.
A quick format basically just wipes the boot sector & master file table while a full format actually wipes all files and checks the entire HDD for bad sectors at the same time.

Renmoo
10-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the response guys. Does Windows actually display a progress bar of some sort during reformatting via Disk Management?

Speedy Gonzales
10-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Yer where youre formatting it.

But its not like a window, like you would see if it were formatted already

FoxyMX
10-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the response guys. Does Windows actually display a progress bar of some sort during reformatting via Disk Management?

Have never seen one if it does, unfortunately. It just displays a window saying that it is formatting.

IIRC my new 500GB took around an hour to do a full format. Not sure if it makes any difference or not but it is an internal drive, not external.

pcuser42
10-02-2009, 04:08 PM
A quick format basically just wipes the boot sector & master file table while a full format actually wipes all files and checks the entire HDD for bad sectors at the same time.

Then how come NTFS can do a quick format at any time while FAT32 can only do so on an existing partition?

Renmoo
10-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Okay cool. What is "RAW" format? Should that be a concern to me?

pcuser42
10-02-2009, 05:04 PM
RAW simply means that the drive has not been formatted. :)

Renmoo
10-02-2009, 09:45 PM
I have just tried Quick Format / Full Format but I think it is not working. What can I do to get the drive running again?

Blam
10-02-2009, 10:02 PM
What was the problem with it?

Renmoo
10-02-2009, 10:50 PM
There seems to be no sign of a formatting in progress despite the drive showing the message "formatting" under disk management. Everything is pretty much static. Have tried unplugging / replugging the drive.

Speedy Gonzales
10-02-2009, 10:51 PM
How long did you wait for?? I wouldnt pull it out all the time

And what SP is on it?

porkster
11-02-2009, 07:14 AM
Dear all,
How long would it take to reformat such a massive capacity hard drive? I have just been given a half-working 1TB external hard drive to fix. The owner "just wanted it to start working". It does not have any data in it. Since this morning my laptop has been trying to format the drive, but I haven't got any idea whether it is progressing or not (the status does say "formatting" though).

Under the properties of the hard drive, it says "RAW" with respect to the format type (rather than FAT32 or NTFS).

I think the point here is you say the disk is half-working! What do you mean by half-working? Sounds like its failing to me. As it's a 1TB drive it is fairly new and probably covered by manufacturers warranty, unless its been drop of misused.

Renmoo
11-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Apologies for rushing my first post. Here's the situation:

When I connected the external hard drive to my laptop, Windows recognised it and installed the relevant drivers. After three minutes or so, an icon would pop up in the system tray, saying that it has been installed successfully. However, when I go to My Computer, the drive was not visible there. After waiting for another five minutes, it showed up as "H:". I tried to double click it, but the "My Computer" Window stalled in the process. I have also tried to access the HDD via Command Prompt - but to no avail.

Having reached this stage, I decided to format the drive via Disk Management console. After right-clicking the drive and click "Quick Format", I waited for about eight hours before calling it a quit. No visual changes associated with the progress were visible.

The 1TB HDD is no longer covered by the warranty, it seems that porkster.

Blam
12-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Format with gparted? Or linux distro?

Not within windows....

Renmoo
12-02-2009, 02:33 PM
I will give it a try when I can find my Ubuntu disc. Can I possibly run gparted using Ubuntu running via Microsoft Virtual PC?

Paul.Cov
12-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Apologies for rushing my first post. Here's the situation:

When I connected the external hard drive to my laptop, Windows recognised it and installed the relevant drivers. After three minutes or so, an icon would pop up in the system tray, saying that it has been installed successfully. However, when I go to My Computer, the drive was not visible there. After waiting for another five minutes, it showed up as "H:". I tried to double click it, but the "My Computer" Window stalled in the process. I have also tried to access the HDD via Command Prompt - but to no avail.

Oh dear, this adds a totally different complexion to the problem.

There is quite possibly a problem with how Windows is accessing the drive, given the very slow manner in which it is recognising it.
As long as this 'path' between the drive and Windows is slow, then all other functions (like format) will be super painfully slow as well.

Question. Did this external drive come with any drivers? Have you searched the box or read the instructions?

I would suggest you go into control panel and try to find the section relevant to this hardware and uninstall it. Then try to reinstall it, paying particular attention to any instructions that may have come with it.
A lot of the hardware I've played with is useless if Windows is allowed to 'find the best driver', and are only brought to life by reinstalling with the manufactureers drivers.

This usually means do the following:
1. Disconnect it
2. Uninstall it, or revert to a Restore Point prior to adding it
3. Reinstall it in the exact order specified in the manufacturers instructions which is relevant to XP
4. Do NOT connect it until instructed to. If not instructed to, then I'd recommend a re-boot (full power off and shut down - NOT a Hibernate or Slumber type of power down) prior to tryin to connect it anyway.
5. If this gives any luck, then try to reformat it, coz the formatting is almost guaranteed to be buggered by now.

Final option - test it and format it on another machine.

pctek
12-02-2009, 08:18 PM

Nah, if you thinks its dodgy run the manufacturers diagnostics.