PDA

View Full Version : limited internet access

Dusty99
10-02-2009, 09:29 AM
hi all,
i have problem, for a few days now i have had limited internet access, limited in the sense that i can only access some websites such as banking websites and gmail, i can not access google or anyother website.

i thought it could be the exchange that i am connected to but the internet company does not think so, i got a friend to come around and use his laptop and it worked fine on my router which possibly inidcates that i have a virus.

here lies the problem i cant use the internet to download any sort of patch and therefore i can not update my virus protector, i tried reformatting my laptop (which also has the same problem) and reinstalling windows but this did not fix the problem, therefore i dont know if reformatting my desktop will cure the problem.

does anyone know what the issue is, what i can do about it and whether i can get a quick fix.....??

pctek
10-02-2009, 09:45 AM
What antivirus are you using? If Nortons or McAfees, ditch it.
Boot in Safe Mode - Safe Mode with Networking. That will allow internet access. Assuming it hasn't screwed that too.

Then download Spybot, Malware Bytes and Hijackthis.
Run all 3.
Post the HJT log here.

Blam
10-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Also get trojan remover and select all options under utilities.

And also disable system restore, right click my computer>properties>system restore tab, tick turn off system restore on all drives

Dusty99
10-02-2009, 11:28 AM
if i get those virus sofrtware will i need to update it?

also what if I cant get into safe mode and use the net?

im at a dead loss I havenít yet tried reformatting my system drive on my desktop if I did this could it fix the issue or have a got a more deep seated problem?

is this a new virus or something?? has anyone come accross this before?

Blam
10-02-2009, 11:31 AM
yes, try updating. If you still cannot update in safe mode select the "Reset Hosts file" option under utilities in trojan remover, then scan. You should be able to update after that, so scan again when you've updated.

This problem is easily fixed. Just do the scans and post a log here.

ONLY if all else fails, then you'll reinstall XP/Repair install.

If its fixable-fix it. If not-reformat

the_bogan
10-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Might be a good idea to use another pc to change your banking passwords.

Dusty99
10-02-2009, 11:43 AM
ok il give it a go....

one last think when you say "post the log" will the system give me a log? i am alittle unsure as to what this mean.....

will reinstalling windows work? i dont understand why i still have the virus in my laptop even after reinstalling..... i cross contaminate at all between my laptop and my desktop, what would have caused my laptop to fail??
granted its an old laptop but reformatting should always do the trick...

Dusty99
10-02-2009, 11:47 AM
thanks for the advice, i havent logged onto my bank so i think il be ok but i mite do it just incase

Dusty99
10-02-2009, 12:25 PM
so does anyone have any thougs as to why my laptop didnt work when i reinstalled windows xp??

linw
10-02-2009, 01:04 PM
If your desktop and laptop are networked, the desktop malware could have re-infected the laptop. Both machines with the same problem suggests a cross contamination possibility.

Dusty99
10-02-2009, 01:56 PM
they are not networked, i just unplugged the ethernet cable from the desktop and plugged it into the laptop....
thats what the strange thing about is, i dont think it could be the router either as i used my friends comp and it worked fine.
i also used another router and that caused the same problem...

could a virus really persist even after formatting??

stormdragon
10-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Did you back up any data prior to formatting and then reload it?

Have you tried accessing the internet via safe mode yet?

Dusty99
10-02-2009, 02:24 PM
nope all i did as soon as windows xp loaded up was try plug in the internet cable to try and use the net....

i didnt even load any of the drivers up or anti virus, it was all of a sudden clear that the internet wasnt working and that i had limited access ie could only access banking websites and gmail.

this was really strange......

Chilling_Silence
10-02-2009, 02:37 PM
It sounds like basically there's a firewall somewhere which is *only* allows SSL Browsing.

Generally this is the sort of thing that Nortons Anti-Virus does, or the Symantec Security Suite.

To reboot into Safe mode:
Power Down your PC
Press the power button
As soon as you've done that, quickly & repeatedly press the F8 button until you get a black screen with white writing on it. One of the options should be "Safe Mode with Networking"

Dusty99
10-02-2009, 02:48 PM
thanks for that....
il see of this works, hopefully il be able to use the internet while on that mode which will then allow me to load on the virus sorfware and update them.

if it was a firewall issues why then did my laptop no work when i reinstalled windows? the only firewall on there would have been the standard windows, i dont have anyother software on it.

Sweep
10-02-2009, 04:12 PM
thanks for that....
il see of this works, hopefully il be able to use the internet while on that mode which will then allow me to load on the virus sorfware and update them.

if it was a firewall issues why then did my laptop no work when i reinstalled windows? the only firewall on there would have been the standard windows, i dont have anyother software on it.

I just have to ask if all motherboard drivers are installed?

Dusty99
10-02-2009, 04:23 PM
no i didnt install the drivers, i thought id give it ago wothout installing the drivers...at anyrate this shouldnt matter as i can access banking websites such as kiwibank, asb and gmail.... i should therefore be able to ccess google etc....

i think its a worm.... i just hope theres a cure

gary67
10-02-2009, 07:30 PM
No drivers no internet at least you need to install the LAN drivers for your network card or NIC

Speedy Gonzales
10-02-2009, 07:49 PM
True, you wont get far with no LAN drivers

Dusty99
11-02-2009, 08:23 AM
i understand what you guys are saying but it shouldnt matter...

heres another update,
i took my work computer home, i tried using the net and i still had the same problem, i could only access sites like kiwibank, gmail and asb.

i then thought ok, lets take my work computer and my home laptop to a firends place, i tried it there on his router and connection and both computer worked fine, infact i even had time to do a house call (PC cillin) which found no major threats.

can it really be a virus then?

i took an idepedent computer home and tried it, still didnt work, i then tried 2 laptops at a friends house and they worked fine.

whats goin on here???

ohh one more thing, my brother dropped off an old router to my home this morning, i used it and i still go the same problem.

Safari
11-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Must be your router then.
What make is it.
Try changing to MTU settings in the router config to 1492

Dusty99
11-02-2009, 08:33 AM
its a dynalink router what the MTU and how would i chnage this??

Safari
11-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Open up a web browser and enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and hit the Enter key on your keyboard.

In the User name field, enter the word admin. In the password field, enter the word admin

Click Quick Setup on the left, make sure "Auto Scan Internet Connection (PVC)" is not ticked and that the VPI is 0 and the VCI 100 then click Next and Next and Next again

You will see a box for MTU setting
Change it there and go Next and Next and then Finish to save the settings.

Dusty99
11-02-2009, 08:46 AM
great thanks for this.... what is this likly to do?? how could this be the cause of the problem?

Safari
11-02-2009, 09:02 AM
great thanks for this.... what is this likly to do?? how could this be the cause of the problem?

Have a read here
http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/archive/index.php/t-86445.html

sroby
11-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Who's your ISP & what area are you in. Ive just seen a similar problem. Google
loads up quick, ANZ takes 5minutes, xtra & vodaphone web pages wont load at all. Can ping web sites OK (where allowed). pop3 wont connect.

In the workshop this laptop works perfectly.

Dusty99
11-02-2009, 11:06 AM
my ISP is tenstraclear, i live on freemans bay auckland, hmmm what ISP is this other person using and what area are they in?

could be something in common

Ofthesea
11-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Is it too basic to ask if your browser is causing the problem, like Firefox with some add-on like adaware gone mad. You've done some reinstalling but try a different browser to what you have (IE/Firefox/Opera) with no add-ons. Eliminate the obvious first (imho)

sroby
11-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Also Freemans Bay/ponsonby.

Not TelstraClear(also not Telecom/xtra) thou...
The plot thickens.

Dusty99
11-02-2009, 11:42 AM
hmmm this is most strange....

i wonder if it is an area thing, has this other person contacted the service provider etc.....

im lost for words really dunno what to do or say, the ISP arnt really that helpful....

sroby
11-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Yeah, they were on the phone with the help desk for hours(they even remoted
into her PC to check things)

I'm going back with another router today, I'll keep you updated. It may be that the actual data speed (not connection speed) is too slow to load anything except the most basic web page: ie google.

If anyone can think of any other very basic (ie mainly just text) web pages to try, please post some links..

Dusty99
11-02-2009, 12:37 PM
try the following web pages and see if they work.

www.kiwibank.co.nz
www.asb.co.nz
www.gmail.com

these pages work for me, see if they work....

wainuitech
11-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Quick question - you say the ISP is telstraclear - every ones talked about the router - BUT is the Internet connection TelstraClear CABLE or ADSL.?

Dusty99
11-02-2009, 01:18 PM
uhhh i have an ADSL router thus its an ADSL connection....

Dusty99
11-02-2009, 01:34 PM
what difference does this make?

wainuitech
11-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Try running Winsockfix (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml) through Laptop or PC, you may need to download it from another PC then transfer over Via a USB Drive. OR Click this (http://download.softpedia.com/dl/ebaf6e99c1ac8456baca94bf343e69f1/49921cf8/100015337/software/tweak/winsockfix.exe) - its a direct download.

Please correct anything thats wrong below;

Lets see if this is right.

Your Laptop/PC - you can take it to another Persons place - it works Fine?

Any one puts a Laptop/pc on your Router and it plays up ?

Changed the router to a known good working one - yet the problem is still there?

you say you have a Dynalink Router - what is the Modem model/make or is it a modem/router all in one?

Dusty99
11-02-2009, 01:48 PM
ok,
lastnight i took both my work and home laptop to a mates place and they worked fine, i could access any web page i wanted.

but both these laptops dont work on my home router.

i have a modem/router in one i think, its just a stnadard Dynalink one model number RTA1320.

my friend borught over his router and that did not work either i was having the same issues....

however my friends laptop worked when he plugged his router in on my line and when he used my router.... this is why i initially thought it was a virus, but now i know its not as both my home and work laptops work on my friends router at his house.

its a mouth full but i hope that clears the air.

ohh i have tried the winsocks fix thing it didnt work, but i can try it again when i get home from work.

sroby
11-02-2009, 02:32 PM
try the following web pages and see if they work.

www.kiwibank.co.nz
www.asb.co.nz
www.gmail.com

these pages work for me, see if they work....

looks like I have exactly same issue. Those web site all work , ASB & Kiwi take
about 10secs to load. Other pages will not load, just time out. Tried opendns.
Its not a speed issue as some other very basic local sites also time out. Ping to www.google.com gives 200ms (about the same as at work)

Set MTU to 1492, all websites will now load, although should be faster.

wainuitech
11-02-2009, 02:35 PM
what difference does this make? The difference is HUGE - if you have telstra Cable they supply the Modem and its tied to your IP address - you generally use a different Router to one on ADSL- while they are both high speed their settings are completely different, and a problem can be in a different area.

Safari
11-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Is your friend using Telstra broadband as well
When your friend connected his router to your line was he connecting with his own username or did he change the username in the router to yours.

Check your LAN connection properties in Internet protocol TCP/IP to make sure you have obtain IP and DNS automatically

Try getting a website using the IP address in the address bar instead of the URL

eg stuff.co.nz 202.135.111.130
bbc 212.58.251.197
Google 66.249.89.104

Dusty99
11-02-2009, 03:12 PM
i will try this MTU think, this could possibly work.

i have checked all the setting etc in internet protocol everything on the computer is right, i have done much testing as telstra has asked me to in the past and they isnt work either....

as far as my friend is concerned his connection is with Telecom, so when i went over there my comp worked...

my other firend brought his router to my house we altered it to my setting ie usename and password etc and my computer didnt work even after using a different router.

Safari
11-02-2009, 03:26 PM
i will try this MTU think, this could possibly work.

i have checked all the setting etc in internet protocol everything on the computer is right, i have done much testing as telstra has asked me to in the past and they isnt work either....

as far as my friend is concerned his connection is with Telecom, so when i went over there my comp worked...

my other firend brought his router to my house we altered it to my setting ie usename and password etc and my computer didnt work even after using a different router.

His router probably had different MTU settings to yours.

Dusty99
13-02-2009, 10:14 AM
hey all i thought id just post a quick update, i have solved the problem, i chaged the MTU setting to 1492 on my router...

my next question would be why did this happen, what would cause me to have to chnage this setting??