PDA

View Full Version : PF1 slow loading, all other sites OK.

Billy T
09-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Hi Team

As the header suggests, PF1 is loading very slowly here at present and has been ever since my Xtra mail had an outage a few days ago. The same thing happened around Jan 23/24 when Xtra had problems and I noted another post at that time about PF1 being slow. In my case it speeded up again as soon as my email came back but all other sites were unaffected.

Today it is painfully slow, and the ads don't help either (what do you use to stop them?) they take ages to load as well. All other sites I visit are operating normally with no speed problems.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Speedy Gonzales
09-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Depends what browser you use, if FF Adblock/flashblock.

If IE, IE7Pro. And privoxy (this will work with any browser, once its configured) also does a good job

GameJunkie
09-02-2009, 09:14 PM
i use FF and i block http://inl.adbureau.net in PF1 using adblockplus ,and it seems to load faster.

Billy T
09-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Depends what browser you use, if FF Adblock/flashblock. If IE, IE7Pro. And privoxy (this will work with any browser, once its configured) also does a good job

I'm using FF. Where do you get Adblock and is Flashblock an alternative? Are they easy to configure?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Speedy Gonzales
09-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Theyre both addons

Tools/add-ons. Get add-on

Type their names in when they come up, add to firefox / click on install / restart FF

Flashblock blocks flash, adblock blocks ads

Chilling_Silence
09-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Yeah Ive noticed PF1's been slower lately, specifically today .. :-/

GameJunkie
09-02-2009, 10:31 PM
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=adblock plus

top of the list

Billy T
10-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks guys, I'll follow that up today.

It's not that I don't like ads, I just prefer them to be in a separate section of the newspaper so that I can throw them out before they get in my face or Mrs T sees them!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

Billy T
10-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Well, I have killed off the flash & ads, and those two made a remarkable difference, with page load speed almost back to normal.

Funny that PF1 was the only site affected though, plenty of others have ads and they were just fine. I'm not sorry to see that stupid corner-fold ad disappear though, it was the biggest irritant I have ever encountered and as a matter of principle over its intrusive behaviour I never read the content once! A futile protest of course, but it made me feel better, unlike suicide bombers who sit in oblivion wondering where all the virgins went.

Which thought, as my warped mind wanders, leaves me wondering what the female suicide bombers were promised. Is there supposed to be a stock of male virgins awaiting them in paradise, do they join the ranks of the resident virgins (what if they are not virgins anymore??), do they become born-again virgins or what?

Just a thought.............

Cheers

Billy 8-{) ;)

Trev
10-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Installed Ad Blocker Pro for IE7, everything loads alot faster. As Billy said I go to other sites with lots of ads but none as slow as this site.
:)