PDA

View Full Version : Following on from Windows Updates - Is my notebook safe?

tuiruru
09-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Is my notebook safe?
The other day I posted a thread asking if I needed to install Windows updates for Vista and received lots of useful replies – thanks people!.
Next question: I’m running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1. .At present I am using Avast! Home edition, AShampoo Antipsyware 2, Spybot S&D and Adaware. I’ve kind of got Windows Firewall running but only because Windows One Care had turned it on before I uninstalled it (One Care that is).
So, how safe am I?
Should I replace Windows Firewall with Zone Alarm or Comodo or sometning else (reasons for or against either would be greatly appreciated) and, are either of those likely to slow my notebook Internet access, general performance, and especially download speeds (already slow – 30 kb/sec is GOOD and that’s broadband!), down?
Is there any other (free) security type software I should be looking at?

All input, good or bad, gratefully received.
Thanks

Sweep
09-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I really like your mock latin signature.

Are you safe? Whom really knows?

The only way to be SAFE is to hide in the bush but you may be struck by a chunk of flying rock or lightning or a person who mistakes you for prey and you get shot.

You kind of have Windows firewall running. Do you turn features off? If so then how?

Blam
09-02-2009, 07:07 PM
There is always a risk of viruses etc. You can only minimize the risk of getting infected.

Your current setup is safe enough, you won't need to Install ZA or Comodo if your router has a FW. Along with windows firewall, it should provide adequate protection. Uninstall Ashampoo AntiSpyware and Adware and install SuperAntiSpyware or SpywareTerminator.

Use Firefox.

Generally none of these software will affect your internet speed unless they are updating, which is a small quick download anyways.

Blam

Sweep
09-02-2009, 08:02 PM
You can also not use P2P and not allow other people to use the equipment you have.

pctek
10-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Is my notebook safe?

Iím running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1. .At present I am using Avast! Home edition, AShampoo Antipsyware 2, Spybot S&D and Adaware. Iíve kind of got Windows Firewall running but only because Windows One Care had turned it on before I uninstalled it (One Care that is).

Forget One Care.
Ditch AdAware, its not so great now.
Install Malware Bytes. Its better than the other 2 Blam6 mentioned. At least at the moment.
For total paranoia use all of them.

And update them every week. None of them are any use if not updated.
I'd install Comodo firewall with Vista. You can untick the AV part during the install.

SolMiester
10-02-2009, 10:13 AM
A bullet-proof vest in only good if you are shot in the body, head shot and your dead. Nothing is bullet proof....

So, I guess we are saying, it depends on where you surf.....maybe I should of changed the metaphor to a dive suit and talked about sharks?...LOL

tuiruru
11-02-2009, 06:57 PM
As usual, thanks for all the input folks! Maybe i'm a little bit more confused - hence my most recent post about Revo Uninstaller cos I'm going to be doing a lot of experimenting

Cheers