PDA

View Full Version : Canon printer problem

GorCh
09-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Hey there,

My friend has a Canon Pixma MP170 all in one printer. It has recently been giving a "U051 Check ink" error, which supposedly corresponds to non-compatible ink cartridges. However she is using Canon cartridges, and the have not been refilled, which from what I read can cause this error.

Has anyone by chance had experience with this error? Or have any idea of somewhere in Christchurch she could get it looked at?

Regards,

GorCh

Blam
09-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Has she tried aligning the catridge's with the supplied software?

Speedy Gonzales
09-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Try this (http://support-hk.canon-asia.com/contents/HK/EN/8000138702.html)

GorCh
12-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Hi there, thanks for the replies.

Speedy - her printer is just two cartridge - a black and a coloured. Its not a new printer, and was working fine up to a few weeks ago.
Blam - she is not able to do any software things. The printer doesn't finish its boot-up initialisation, it just gets stuck at the error message, and won't allow communications from the computer.

Cheers,

GorCh

linw
13-02-2009, 12:39 PM
it probably just needs the scattered ink cleaned out of it but new printers are so cheap that it is uneconomical to get them serviced.

Just bought a HL-2140 laser from DSE for $129!

GorCh
14-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Yea that was probably going to be my advice. The only thing is that it is a loaner from a friend for her so she has to get in contact with the owner.

Ah well, done what I can.

Cheers everyone,

GorCh

wainuitech
14-02-2009, 12:34 PM
To the left of the Start button is a reset - reset the Printer and see if that has any effect.

Other wise try cleaning the system - follow the instructions in the Manual - if you dont have it you can download it from This Link (http://static.tigerdirect.com/pdf/canon_PixmaMP160_UserGuide.pdf) ( right click / save as) - its a PDF about 2.8 Mb - scroll down to the bottom, and it tells you how to clean the Printer ( page 81) as well as what the reason is for the Error message , could also be the fine cartridge is mis aligned .

No point in throwing out a good printer if its only needs a bit of TLC.

GorCh
18-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Just an update for everyone, in case this crops up again for anyone. My friend talked to people at Cartridgeworld, and it is a known 'feature' of the canon printers. Supposed to scare off using non-standard cartridges (turns out hers were actually refurbished).

You just have to hold the "resume" button (on plain printers) or "OK/ Trinagle in circle" button for 5 seconds when the error comes up after sending a print job, to bypass the check. This does however not let the printer detect the level of ink cartridges.

Cheers,

GorCh