PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Servers confusion :)

WarNox
09-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Hey!

So today I decided to install the MS Virtual Server 2005 SP1 and put a virtual server on it (windows server 2003). All this running on a quad core Vista x64.

Virtual Server installed fine (i think), after fiddling with some IIS stuff but it installed. I never got the web interface to work (some authentication problem I couldn't fix) but found a program VMRCplus that works as far as I know, without a web interface.

Ok so my questions are:

1. Anyone know how to fix that authentication error (HTTP Error 401.2 - Unauthorized)?

2. I created a virtual machine in VMRCplus, installed Win2k3 and allocated 120gb (maximum) size to that vm. How exactly does this work? I haven't lost any actual space on my physical HDD but my VM says I got a HDD of 120gb? Is the 120GB shared or how exactly does this work?

I'm new to this whole VM thing :)

Thanks for any help,

Gregor

somebody
09-02-2009, 06:46 AM
What OS have you installed Virtual Server onto? The error sounds like one you'd get when you try putting it on XP or Vista.

With hard disks, you probably chose "dynamically expanding disks". What this means is, there's a .vhd file somewhere which represents the "hard drive" for the virtual machine. The limit on the size of that file is 120GB, but it will only expand when it needs more space. My suspicion is that it's currently a couple of gigabytes in size at the moment, which is why you haven't noticed any hard disk space disappearing.

WarNox
09-02-2009, 08:27 AM
I installed the Virtual Server on Vista business x64. And then installed Windows Server 2003 onto the virtual machine.

Cool, that makes sense with the hdd, thanks. I doubt it'll ever use 120GB anyway.

somebody
09-02-2009, 05:30 PM
I installed the Virtual Server on Vista business x64. And then installed Windows Server 2003 onto the virtual machine.

Cool, that makes sense with the hdd, thanks. I doubt it'll ever use 120GB anyway.

You may have problems with Vista hosts, as Virtual Server was really designed for Windows Server 2003.

If you continue to have problems, it may be worth trying something like Virtual PC 2007, or VirtualBox.

WarNox
09-02-2009, 06:45 PM
The problem remains but its not necessary to fix it, it would be nice to know how to but not a big deal as VMRCplus works fine.

Yeah suppose I could have just used virtual PC heh ah well.

WarNox
09-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Just want to let you know that I installed virtual pc 2007 (x64) and works perfectly on my vista pc. I even re-used the same virtual machine.

I managed to set up a domain (a made up one) and get a user to log on, now the actual confusion begins. Half my computers are on the domain and others are still in a workgroup but the server can see all :S cannot access files on all of them though.

Anyway thanks for your help man! The playing around will be fun :)