PDA

View Full Version : CPU overheats

Nomad
08-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi, the CPU tend to give a reading of 70-75 degress (ASUS software) when I am doing admin work - like right now or typing an email.

When I use 3D Marks 06, it probably go towards 100 degrees and the system shuts off. It has done this 2 or 3 times. Upon restarting the software show it is at 85 degrees and then slowly it returns to 72. This is normal? Does 3D Marks crash a system without special cooling :confused:

I have a Intel Quad Core 2.33 (std freq), retial pack CPU fan, Antec Case, with rear case fan, no front case fan.

Do I need to buy extra cooling?

:thanks

Netsukeninja
08-02-2009, 04:50 PM
I think you'd probably need to reapply thermal paste.

Nomad
08-02-2009, 05:06 PM
A bit more info, after sometime now away from 3D Marks, CPU temp tended to be around 58-62 doing admin work. Just noticed it went to 65 and now back to 64, while I was just typing text in this window ....

9600GT GPU tend to be around a constant 48 degrees but this one has a OEM Zalman fan on it, but it is not co-operating with my monitor, may need to do a RMA and hopefully swap for a ATI 4830. Again the GPU is not overclocked. Oh .. CPU back to 65 now ... it tends to be fluctuating all the time doing nothing than just typing in this pressf1 window.

Ah .. now 66 deg. Now 65.

Does 3D Marks crash a system with std cooling gear (not overclocked)?

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2009, 05:24 PM
I wouldnt trust / go by whatever ASUS s/w youre using

What does it say in the BIOS, for the temp?

qazwsxokmijn
08-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Google RealTemp and download the latest version. It's the most accurate. It's really small - less than 500kB.

Nomad
08-02-2009, 06:51 PM
What is the ballpark figure for a non overclocked CPU these days?

Downstairs, our AMD Sempron 2500+ goes at 30 degrees via Gigabyte's software and bios.

ASUS software read 50-55, then when I fired up Firefox for pressf1, it got to 67, upon restart and into bios, it said 72 and then 71.5.

I will get some thermal paste, Intel's instructions didn't ask for thermal paste and it did have a powder like thing on the OEM heatsink fan.

Regards.

Nomad
08-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Real Temp:
Under temperature it shows:
80 75 71 72

Paul.Cov
08-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Nomad, it is certainly overheating.
However, disregard the little one degree up, one degree down fluctuations. That's entirely normal.

Admin work is typically not at all taxing on a CPU, so I hate to think how quickly it would cook on a decent 3D game.

Thermal paste needs to be in a VERY THIN layer. Less can be better than more!
The purpose of the paste is to fill all the micro peaks and valleys on the surfaces of the CPU and the heatsink, so that the entire area is transferring heat across. And it''l transfer it more quickly and efficiently if the paste is very thin (but you do NOT want any air in there).

I've heard it suggested that simply reseating the heatsink can help, or just giving it a wiggle to further spread out the paste.

qazwsxokmijn
08-02-2009, 11:02 PM
At 80 it's not at a dangerous temp, but is certainly much hotter than I think it should be, even under stock heatsink and paste.

However if it's all stock and the heatsink IS mounted properly, then most likely it's got a faulty temp sensor - a problem that is bugging a countless number of the new 45nm chips, duals and quads. My E8400 for example tops at 75 degrees at 3.8GHz as reported by RealTemp - and that's using a TRUE120. Even at stock 3GHz it tops at about 68-69. These are false readings as there is no way the chip is running as hot as reported. Even BIOS gets it wrong.

Nomad
09-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi, what is the diff between Arctic Silver thermal paste vs thermal compound?

Thanks.

Blam
09-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Just one of the best brands for thermal compound therefore more expensive.
Its also made from pure silver or something.

dugimodo
09-02-2009, 04:29 PM
any thermal paste should be ok if everything is stock. If the temperatures you're seeing are correct it is way too high. I would suggest the heatsink was not on correctly or the paste poorly applied, but generally it's hard to muck up the installation of the latest inTel coolers.

Have you googled your motherboard model for problems with the temperature settings, or checked the manufacturers FAQ file ? sometimes a bios update can fix such problems.
If the pc is new or still under warranty and purchased as a whole machine, go back to your supplier and see if they can help.

as a reference I have a 2.5G quad core ( Q9300 ) in a small cube style case and it runs at 25-35 degrees when browsing the net etc and never exceeds the high 40's even under load ( DivX encoding, 3D gaming etc ) I have an intel board and am confident the readings are at least in the right ballpark. I personally use the speedfan utility to monitor temps on my pc's

Nomad
14-02-2009, 05:34 PM
I got Arctic Silver, what a gem.
I am now doing 25 degrees doing boot up and admin and when I fired up 3D Marks 06, it went up to 33% but for some reasons dunno why but 3D Marks don't work on PC anymore, I did change nvidia to ATI and I uninstalled 3D Marks and reinstalled it. Still no go.