PDA

View Full Version : Desktop fails to load, and many other programmes

tribomb1
07-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Hey,

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate, 64 bit.

When I turn my computer on I get an error message:
"C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is not accessible.
Access is denied."

My desktop no longer has any of my previous icons on it, only the recycle bin, and the appearance of everything has gone grey (task bar etc).
All the normal icons in my task bar have not loaded, there is only a battery icon, sound icon (which says "The audio service is not running) and the network connections icon.

Also, I cannot connect to the Internet. The following message is displayed if I hover over the network logo on the task bar
"Connection status: Unknown
The dependency service or group failed to start"

I also often get that same error message "The dependency service or group failed to start" if I attempt to load a programme.

It takes quite a while to load anything, such as opening a folder.

Search also fails to initiate.

I recently used a programme called RegCure; it removes unnecessary registry entries from the registry to improve your computers performance. The programme makes a back up the registry before changing it, and I managed to open RegCure in safe mode and restore the previous versions of the registry, however that didn't help.

Thanks to anyone who helps,

Mike

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Try this (http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1494102&page=1)

A few sites say to boot into safe mode, create a new user, copy whatever over to the new user, then reboot. That should hopefully fix it

Be careful , WHAT registry cleaner you use. Some can totally screw a system up

feersumendjinn
08-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Sounds like Regcure is malware/scamware (or close to it), see this for a list of happy customers.
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/regcure-c4155.html
I'd say your registry is now probably 'toast'.

Try doing a System Restore, if that doesn't work, you may need to reinstall Windows and everything else.
Moral of the story "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", especially with suspect software.

wainuitech
08-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Regcure will be the problem alright - it should be listed as destroy ware.

Playing with the Reg with programs like that can be very dangerous and cause a lot of damage, as feersumendjinn Mentioned run system restore, take it back a day or so before regcure was run.

tribomb1
08-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Sweet, system restore set it right.
Thanks guys
:D