PDA

View Full Version : USB extension cable for 'live' photography

R.M.
06-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I want to use my digital SLR camera to pics of birds in the tree next to the house. Now, these birds a pretty smart and very skittish! I plan to use my camera on a tripod with the usb cable through the window to my lappy - where I can use Canon software to control the camera. However, the usb cable is quite short and I really haven't got enough distance (and yes, I've tried crawling on my belly through the conservatory...But the little dears caught sight of me and departed rapidly).

What sort of extension cables are there available for this, and what are the restrictions? I had a look quickly in DSE this afternoon, but felt I didn't have enough info to make an informed decision!

As always - thanks for your help. :)

Blam
06-02-2009, 06:46 PM
USB extension cables are pretty cheap, you can get them off trademe easily.

Or, if you want I got two 65cm ones you can have for free, totalling 120cm if thats enough. Just PM and give me the postage money.

Blam

Speedy Gonzales
06-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Cant the cam record to a memory card or something??

Then you can transfer the video / pic to the laptop (if the laptop has a card reader)

That would probably be better than using USB extension cables

Blam
06-02-2009, 06:50 PM
It can record to a memory card. She/he just wants to control the camera with her PC

davidmmac
06-02-2009, 06:50 PM
USB has a distance restriction of about 5m.

You could try one of these (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=200904109) if the distance is more than 5 meters.

Speedy Gonzales
06-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Get a power extension cable then, move closer to them. Then you wont need USB extension cables

R.M.
06-02-2009, 07:14 PM
DSE has this (http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/498bd30801af20a82740c0a87f3b06be/Product/View/XH8199) - it looks a bit the same. Good length.

The reason for the USB cable is to try to get out of their sight - I tried sitting in the car in the driveway (I got cold and bored - they obviously could see me). The 'other half of the household' says I lack patience - that may well be so!

The other thing I could do is to hang a blanket alongside the window (so they can't see me -but I could see them on my lappy screen!)...

davidmmac
06-02-2009, 07:25 PM
DSE has this (http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/498bd30801af20a82740c0a87f3b06be/Product/View/XH8199) - it looks a bit the same. Good length.

The reason for the USB cable is to try to get out of their sight - I tried sitting in the car in the driveway (I got cold and bored - they obviously could see me). The 'other half of the household' says I lack patience - that may well be so!

The other thing I could do is to hang a blanket alongside the window (so they can't see me -but I could see them on my lappy screen!)...

That is very much the same, only after 5 meters you need another one.

Nomad
06-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Some dSLRs has wireless - maybe your model not support it. Wifi I think.

Failing that, you can get things like Pocket Wireless, they stick on your hotshoe and you use a transceiver to fire it ... using radio technology. You can get trademe or ebay cheaper types to do the same job.

R.M.
06-02-2009, 07:34 PM
That is very much the same, only after 5 meters you need another one.

Five metres would be plenty. So that looks like my solution - all this effort to get a close-up of a sparrow!

What I'm really after is the greenfinches and the yellow hammers I see at times (greenfinches more often). Sparrows would ok to 'practise' the setup on though! (And I have to persuade the cat to stay inside with me...).

Thanks. :)

R.M.
06-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Some dSLRs has wireless - maybe your model not support it. Wifi I think.

Failing that, you can get things like Pocket Wireless, they stick on your hotshoe and you use a transceiver to fire it ... using radio technology. You can get trademe or ebay cheaper types to do the same job.

Yes - I looked at that. However, although I could fire the camera, I couldn't reliably see the birds.

Speedy Gonzales
06-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Doesnt it have a zoom on it? It'll save you getting too close, to take a pic

R.M.
07-02-2009, 04:47 PM
The set-up works well - sparrows today, who knows tomorrow!

Misty
08-02-2009, 09:11 PM
The set-up works well - sparrows today, who knows tomorrow!
Impressive !
Misty :)

R.M.
09-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Thanks. Yesterday's pics were interesting - everything had this eerie red glow (the Australian bush fires).