PDA

View Full Version : Wireless network not detected - but its broadcasting.

woc
06-02-2009, 03:38 PM
I have wireless networking problem.

This involves 4 Toshiba Laptops. They were all connected to a wireless router several months ago without any problems. Now they are not.

They are not able to detect the network.

Ok the router is broadcasting and working fine and is an unsecured network (Out in the country at a school). There are some other laptops that are connecting to it.

I tested the network on my laptop and it worked just fine.

I tested all the settings on the laptops and could not find any problems other than they could not detect the network (they work fine on cable).

I have taken one laptop to my workshop and it immediately picked up my wireless network.

So now we know that the router is working and the laptop is working. So what is stopping it from seeing the school wireless network.

I thought it must be a firewall that had been installed (no one can remember installing anything) but it did have CA on it so I uninstalled that as well as disabling windows firewall. No difference.

Anyone got any ideas Ė Iíve currently run out of ideas. Given that its occurred with four laptops at around the same time that is software that is the cause of it.

pctek
06-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Malware?

Blam
06-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Go to network connection, right click wireless network connection and select "View Available Networks". Then , click "Change Advanced Settings" on the right hand side.

Now click advanced, then select "Access Point (Infrastructure) networks only.
Untick "Automatically connect to Non-Preferred Networks"

Cheers
Blam

woc
06-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Ok Thanks for that I have reset it and will try it tomorrow.

woc
07-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Unfortunately that did not work either. I also removed the old profile.

I did a scan for malware and found nothing.

Ok so has anyone else got any fresh ideas?

Is there any testing software I could use to see what is going on behind windows.

Blam
07-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Try going to device manager and uninstalling the wireless adapter.
Then restart, it should install itself back.

If that doesn't work, uninstall it and install the latest driver from the intel site

wainuitech
07-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Have you tried renaming the SSID on the Router - Had something similar a while back when PC wouldn't detect, renamed the network and it suddenly picked it up again - no idea why ??

woc
07-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Try going to device manager and uninstalling the wireless adapter.
Then restart, it should install itself back.

If that doesn't work, uninstall it and install the latest driver from the intel site

Yes tried uninstalling are reinstalling but not downloading the latest drivers. Ill do that now. I think it is specific to the one network as its picking up ones all around my shop that other people have.

Its almost like some software has a list and not letting it connect.

I will try renaming the router as well.

Have to wait until monday now before I get inside the school.