PDA

View Full Version : BIOS password

Sapperbro
06-02-2009, 11:09 AM
I recently suffered a stroke, and apart from affecting my eyesight, I suffered quite severe memory loss. On cleaning out my home office and trying to regain some semblance of order, I decided to fire up my laptop and clean out some garbage. I am now fully retired on an early pension as I am unable to work so I desided to get rid of some of my ex-working projects. On opening my laptop, I found I could not get past my logon password as I had totally forgotten it. Trying as many as I could remember, I only use a half dozen at most, I had no joy. Sent it in to my local IT shop and they used their security software to remove the password frm Windows for me. Great!! However I had put in a BIOS password for added security and they cannot access it. This means I cannot instal Windows again as I cannot change the oder of booting from HD to CD. I emailed F1 for a private answer do to the sensitivity of the request some twoo weeks ago. To date I have had no reply, so now I am throwing open to any of the knowledgable gurus on this means. If you with to reply privately please email me on [edit: email removed to prevent harvesting by spam bots - Jen].
Cheers,
Ken Avenell

Blam
06-02-2009, 11:14 AM
What brand of laptop?

Try these master passwords:

manufacturer preset ones
VOBIS & IBM: merlin
Dell: Dell
Biostar: Biostar
Compaq: Compaq
Jetway: spooml
Packard Bell: bell9
QDI: QDI
Siemens: SKY_FOX

Also try this:http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/reference/biosp.htm
TMC: BIGO
Toshiba: Toshiba

Sapperbro
06-02-2009, 11:25 AM
I recently suffered a stroke, and apart from affecting my eyesight, I suffered quite severe memory loss. On cleaning out my home office and trying to regain some semblance of order, I decided to fire up my laptop and clean out some garbage. I am now fully retired on an early pension as I am unable to work so I desided to get rid of some of my ex-working projects. On opening my laptop, I found I could not get past my logon password as I had totally forgotten it. Trying as many as I could remember, I only use a half dozen at most, I had no joy. Sent it in to my local IT shop and they used their security software to remove the password from Windows for me. Great!! However I had put in a BIOS password for added security and they cannot access it. This means I cannot instal Windows again as I cannot change the order of booting from HD to CD. I emailed F1 for a private answer due to the sensitivity of the request some two weeks ago. To date I have had no reply, so now I am throwing it open to any of the knowledgable gurus on this means. If you with to reply privately please email me on [edit: email removed to prevent harvesting by spam bots - Jen]. (If this goes out twice, the second one shows all the spelling mistakes fixed - I hope.)
Cheers,
Ken Avenell

Sapperbro
06-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Acer Aspire 5600. Thanks for the promptness.
Ken

beama
06-02-2009, 11:31 AM
are you ex miltary with a nic like that
sorry to hear about your misfortune.

also ask Moderator to get your email address removed from your post or if able remove yourself, spam bots havest those and youll get heaps of unwanted emails

want brand is the laptop

This may help you on bootup tap the F12 key this may give you boot device screen which will allow you to choose the boot device you wish to use if it does use the up down or left right arrows to select then press enter.

Blam
06-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Try this:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd

beama
06-02-2009, 11:38 AM
I replied in the other thread

feersumendjinn
06-02-2009, 11:39 AM
This may help
http://www.tech-faq.com/reset-bios-password.shtml
Lists "backdoor" passwords for various proprietary computers/bios's. :)
You could also clear the bios settings by removing the CMOS battery (the 'coin' cell on the motherboard), your IT shop should know this.

Sapperbro
06-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks, but F12 didn't work.
Cheers,
Ken

Driftwood
06-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Might be handy if a Moderator could merge these 2 threads.

Tryed to get into a Compaq some time ago with the same problem.
None of the many available passwords worked.
Pulled the CMOS battery & left it out for about a week.
Still didn't fix the problem.

feersumendjinn
06-02-2009, 12:19 PM
By the way, not advisable to put your email address on the open forum post as it can be harvested from there by spambots, better to use the private message or internal email tools.
http://pressf1.co.nz/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_contact_member s

Sapperbro
06-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the many comments about the email address. I already appear to be on many lists but Mailwasher sorts any spam out. Tried getting through to the Moderator but is not clear on the General Screen. Eyesight problem isn't helping.

Jen
06-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Tried getting through to the Moderator but is not clear on the General Screen. Eyesight problem isn't helping.I have removed your email address from the posts and merged the duplicate threads.

To contact a Moderator, just send us a private message. Otherwise, you can report your own post which sends out an email to all Moderators asking for us to remove your email address from the post. :)

Sapperbro
06-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks Jen,
Much appreciated. Get myself very confused these days. In answer to all you kind people, I was playing around with the various programmes from links that were sent and getting nowhere. Couldn't even find the BIOS battery in the laptop. Anyway had a brainstorm and the password popped into the old pumpkin and it worked!! Everything removed and back to normal now.
Cheers,
Ken

Paul.Cov
06-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Tryed to get into a Compaq some time ago with the same problem.
None of the many available passwords worked.
Pulled the CMOS battery & left it out for about a week.
Still didn't fix the problem.

Laptops are such devils to work on, so I'd try all those 'backdoor' passwords you can find first, but if all else fails, you could also try this to clear the bios.

1. Pull out the power.
2. Pull out the main batteries
3. Pull out the CMOS battery on the motherboard
4. Use something metallic to create a short between the exposed terminals of the CMOS battery.
5. Wait a bit, and then try restoring power. Doesn't matter if the CMOS battery is left out.

You may find that the hard disc parameters get lost from CMOS as well, which is another pain.
I dread opening up a laptop, as the chances of wrecking something seem to be about 20 times higher than when doing the sames tasks on a regular desktop. Be particularly carefull if you have to handle the hard disc drive. Handle it by the edges only, and do not grip it with your fingers over the broad flat top/bottom surfaces, as just a squeeze can wreck them.

Good luck

Driftwood
06-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Glad you got it sorted Ken

ZapperBoy10647
06-02-2009, 08:21 PM
I dont know if this had been posted because im too lazy to look. but if u want to bypass/delete a bio password remove the battery that keeps the time. it will be on ur mother board. leave for about 10-30seconds; replace and start up. no password :)

-p.s got this from reading my asus Mobo manual