PDA

View Full Version : Connercting PS2 to computer

gza
05-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Hi, what do I need to be able to connect PS2 console to my computer, laptop or pc, so that I can play the games on the compter.
I have done a lot of researching and Googling and apart from the blatant "can't be done"s most information points to my needing a Graphics card with a Video In Capture capability; S-Vid?

From one of my searches I had this:-

"This is a video capture PCMCIA/Cardbus card that works only for laptops. Its almost $110USD but it sounds like what you're looking for.

Then the PSP included a touchscreen. Then the PSP included more ram. Then the PSP finally ditched the crappy UMD format.

And then the PSP was perfect... "

http://www.mrgadget.com.au/catalog/sunix-port-usb-20-pcmciapc-card-p-567.html

There were also mentions elsewhere of VGA cables, USB to Serial cables, but I don't know.
I think I need a Video/Movie capture card. If so, any recommendations?

Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
05-02-2009, 07:48 PM
So what are you talking about PlayStation 2 or PSP which isnt the same thing

What exactly does it have (whatever it is PSP or PS2) as in connections

gza
05-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Hi Speedy. I have just texted my mate who is coming tomorrow for the long weekend with his 2 kids and he says its a PS2 machine, not PSP. The kids can plug into my computer if I can sort something, I don't think the PS2 machine will plug into the TV here, it hasn't got the 3 S-VID inputs on it.
Can the PS2 plug straight into the RF input on the TV, where the aerial plugs in? That would be easier if it can be done. I don't know much about Play Stations or X-Box's. Don't actually use them,

Connections will most probably be:

2 Controller Ports
2 MEMORY CARD slots
2 USB connectors
1 NETWORK connector (100BASE-TX/10BASE-T)
1 LINE connector (modem : RJ-11C)
1 DC IN 8.5V connector
1 AV MULTI OUT connector
1 DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL ) connector
1 Infrared I/R Receiver

I have just looked at
http://www.altoedge.com/usbcapture/index.html?gclid=CJa9ir3mxJgCFR0Sagodkiza2A
and I think it will do the job, if I have to get a connection device that is .

Cheers

Or could I Network the PS2 through my Internet modem/router for the games to show on computer monitor?

Blam
05-02-2009, 08:45 PM
I would suggest a PS2 emulator...it would probably be your best bet.

And why can;t you just connect the ps2 to monitor/tv?

gza
05-02-2009, 10:53 PM
blam6, thanks. I have the ePSXe 1.7.0 emulator, scph1001 BIOS and all of the necessary bits but I cannot get it to work once the one game I have (FF V111, in four .ISO's) gets past the introduction part and to the game proper. It won't open using com keyboard as Game controller. Only the Esc and F keys operate but none of them will open the Game, not even the 'V' key which is meant to correspond to the 'Start' key on a PS2 game controller. Well, I can't get it to work. I might need a gamepad, controller or such like. I'll try the youngsters' controller when they arrive, or send the .iso's to disc and try that on their PS2.
I only installed the ePSXe 1.7.0 last week to try it out.
All sorted out.
I've been offered TV for $100 that has S-VID inputs. That will do the job and also, I'll be able to plug my DVD player straight to it and do away with the VCR intermediary.

Thanks for your help guys.

Netsukeninja
06-02-2009, 08:10 AM
To connect the PS2 to a TV, it can use either the 3 coloured plugs, or an RC adapter which goes into the plug where the aerial would normally go.

aidanmaz
06-02-2009, 11:27 AM
i just used a cheap usb TV tuner card and plugged the ps2 into the av ports, it works perfect.

gza
06-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Netsukininja and aidanmaz, thanks for your advice, Waitangi Day here in NZ and shops closed ( I think).
I now have the TV with the red/white/yellow RCA inputs so there shouldn't be a problem getting the PS2 to play.
As for using a USB tuner card to connect the PS2 to my computer I had looked into them and most of the downside of them would appear to be the 500ms -2second Lag between that which is seen on screen and a player's action/response to it using the game controller.
I don't have a Gaming computer with powerful accelerator graphics cards, CPU and RAM.
Would have been ideal if I could have connected the PS2 straight to the monitor! But alas, no can do.