PDA

View Full Version : A question about System Restore

LynX
05-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Used Vista for so long, and I didn't even know where was system restore... (this is probably a good thing for Vista, for its stability) until a few days ago, when I did one. I found out that it's accessed in Backup and Restore Center.

But when I saw it, I had a question: in the available restore points, there's only restore points from recent few days (sometimes only today's is available). I must have done some tweaks that I don't remember, and I want it to record ALL restore points from today, so that System Restore is not there for looks. Is there any ways to do it? Thanks in advance.

Blam
05-02-2009, 05:53 PM
I don't think you can, as once new restore points are made, old one's MUST be deleted AFAIK. Its a windows feature, so there might be a registry hack out there that can change the amount of space allocated to System Restore allowing you to save more points before it overwrites them.

Personally I reckon system restore would use WAY too much space if you did that....so your choice.

Blam

wainuitech
05-02-2009, 05:55 PM
When you have the restore window open , select "Chose a different restore Point" - then down the bottom left is a check box that says " Show Restore points older than five days"

If you want to have a record of restore points, then take a screen shot - but remember they wont stay there for ever, they drop off after a while , to be replaced by new ones.

From MS
Restore points are saved until the hard disk space System Restore reserves is filled up. As new restore points are created, old ones are deleted. If you turn off System Protection (the feature that creates restore points) on a disk, all restore points are deleted from that disk. When you turn System Protection back on, new restore points are created.

How much space does it take ?? Again From MS:
To store restore points, you need at least 300 megabytes (MB) of free space on each hard disk that has System Protection turned on. System Restore might use up to 15 percent of the space on each disk. As the amount of space fills up with restore points, System Restore will delete older restore points to make room for new ones.

Bantu
05-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Try Acronis*True*Image, make an image at any point(s) in time
I normally do one with basic install patches and small apps like winzip etc installed. I would not rely on a Windows Restore point.

True Image has saved my ass a few times.

Driftwood
05-02-2009, 05:58 PM
When you get an urge to tweak/fiddle/tinker with your system it may be advisable to set a restore point prior to this & name it accordingly. Then you will know which point to return to if your tweak/fiddle/tinker falls over.

R.M.
05-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Try Acronis*True*Image, make an image at any point(s) in time
True Image has saved my ass a few times.

Mine too - I'm about to use it again tomorrow, time for a clean beginning (but with programmes and printers etc all installed). Takes about 30mins from whoa to go.

Blam
05-02-2009, 06:13 PM
How much room does it take?
Is it just a normal image or is it a compressed one?

LynX
05-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks to all the FAST responses, really appreciate it.
1) I checked the System Restore again, and there's no such checkbox as Wainuitech said
2) Okay, personally I don't system restore that much. In fact, I only done once System Restore ever since installation in 30/05/2008. It's only that there are only today's restore points available, so what's the point (you can interpret it either way)?
3) Currently I have two Ghost images on my hard drive, one for Vista and one for XP. I keep them because I never know when I'll need files from them. I might try TrueImage.
4) There's only 11.6 GB left on my Vista drive, does this matter?

All I want is that System Restore would record my activities for, say, a week so that I can go back to the times before I fiddled. Also, how can I choose to delete unused system restore points?

Thanks again.

R.M.
05-02-2009, 06:57 PM
How much room does it take?
Is it just a normal image or is it a compressed one?

Normal (equal size) or maximum (takes longer) and I think there is one in between - I think from memory takes 15gb down to about 9 or 10. Compression depends on the data - if it is .jpg, .pdf or .mp3 (already compressed) max compression won't reduce the size much.

wainuitech
05-02-2009, 07:17 PM
1) I checked the System Restore again, and there's no such checkbox as Wainuitech said
its there unless you are looking in the wrong place, or your system restore is damaged.

Heres where ( Highlighted areas) First select this (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/One1233814433.jpg) Click next, then Tick this (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Two.jpg) and all available restore points will show.

3) Currently I have two Ghost images on my hard drive, one for Vista and one for XP :groan: NOT a good place to have them - the images are meant to be available in case of needing to reinstall them -

Two Questions:

1. What happens if your HDD Fails = Images GONE.
2. What happens if the HDD gets badly Corrupted and you cant access the images - they are useless.

Its a bit like people backing up their data to the same HDD - no good if the drive Has failed. (Had a customer just after Xmas exact thing happened - total drive failure - the backups were on the same drive EVERY thing lost)

The images NEED to be on another source. put them on another drive or DVD, then that will free up some of your HDD space as well.

mzee
06-02-2009, 06:12 PM
I use TuImage 11.
C drv (Ptn1) XP pro + Vmware-W98 with a swag of software.
Size: 21.4 gb, Free: 13.7gb
Size of Image file backed up to Seagate 250gb USB drive 2.62gb
Time taken: 2minutes 35seconds.

TruImage backs up the 7.77gb used, ignoring the free space.

If you wish to back up the entire partition tick the box "create an image using sector by sector approach". I have only used this with Linux, it takes much longer.

I never use system restore, mainly because it also restores the Virae & Adaware etc, also takes up disk space.