PDA

View Full Version : Who the hell reccomended ORCON????

JJJJJ
05-02-2009, 02:40 PM
I decided to switch to Orcon last week.

Last Thursday I filled in their on line form. Received an auto acknowledgement.

I have spoken to them three times by phone. Dunb buggers know nothing. "It's being processed" is the best I can get out of them.
I have sent them four e-mails. I have had four auto replies stating they will be answered in due course.

I am about to tell them to stick their broadband.

Anyone else got any bright ideas?

cajetan
05-02-2009, 02:50 PM
forget it - any biz that treats their cust like that in today's climate well u know - i'm personally with Xnet and WEEEEEE alll know wot's going on there or rather not really.. i was gonna go to Xtra (i hate to admit it but they've been very good cause i use them for my biz) but then Xnet switched me back to the NORMAL plans and it's been all good since.....

JJJJJ
05-02-2009, 03:02 PM
forget it - any biz that treats their cust like that in today's climate well u know - i'm personally with Xnet and WEEEEEE alll know wot's going on there or rather not really.. i was gonna go to Xtra (i hate to admit it but they've been very good cause i use them for my biz) but then Xnet switched me back to the NORMAL plans and it's been all good since.....

I,too am with xnet. I had excellent speed and service from them for a year. Then overnight ny download speed was cut nearly in half.
And they are telling me I am getting all the speed my line can handle.
They say I am paying for uncapped and that is what I am getting.
Bloody liars.

cajetan
05-02-2009, 03:16 PM
ahhh yes, i like u was on the incredible TORRENT plan - incredibly useless that is!!! - switched back to the river plan n now very fast again

Speedy Gonzales
05-02-2009, 03:20 PM
ahhh yes, i like u was on the incredible TORRENT plan - incredibly useless that is!!! - switched back to the river plan n now very fast again

You must be one of a few then. Coz I've been on the river plan since I joined, speeds were great, UNTIL the torrent plan arrived.

Thats when everything went downhill. Xnet deny this is the cause (of course), but its funny things started going slower (not all the time), after the torrent plan started

JJJJJ
05-02-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm actually on thr FLOOD plan.
Used to d/l at about 4200 kbps and u/l at close to 700 kbps
Now d/l at about 2500kbps and u/l at 300 kbps

And the liars tell me that's all my line can take!

acheron4778
05-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Hmm what now? In two months I'm out of my contract and I was eagerly looking forward to teaming up with my favest b.f.f. ISP once again, should I reconsider my options?

Erayd
05-02-2009, 08:03 PM
TelstraClear is pretty good. Not the cheapest, but you usually get the advertised speeds.

JJJJJ, I didn't recommend orcon for the customer service - I recommended it for the network. I still recommend it for the network.

JJJJJ
05-02-2009, 08:58 PM
TelstraClear is pretty good. Not the cheapest, but you usually get the advertised speeds.

JJJJJ, I didn't recommend orcon for the customer service - I recommended it for the network. I still recommend it for the network.

Oh well. I'll never know. I told them what to do with their broadband this afternoon. We didn't part on the best of terms.

Sweep
05-02-2009, 09:12 PM

Last Thursday I filled in their on line form. Received an auto acknowledgement.

I have spoken to them three times by phone. Dunb buggers know nothing. "It's being processed" is the best I can get out of them.
I have sent them four e-mails. I have had four auto replies stating they will be answered in due course.

I am about to tell them to stick their broadband.

Anyone else got any bright ideas?

You decided based on information you recieved from a person or persons unknown. So which provider are you going to next? I hesitate to give you advice as you may blame me for the lack of speed.

So whom recommended Orcon and you followed the advice given.
Having looked here http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=96885&highlight=JJJJJ

You may have taken advice from Safari or not.
How would I know? As I have mentioned previously I was with Orcon once but went back to Xtra.

You can of course go back to dialup on a 56K modem. The ISP you choose is over to you. If you want to tell your current ISP to stick the broadband then feel free to do it.

JJJJJ
05-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Not blameing anyone Sweep.
People give recomendations, based on their experience. They can't be blamed if others have different experiences.

Anyway I can't remember who mentioned Orcon.

Safari
05-02-2009, 09:27 PM
It wasn't me that suggested Orcon

It was suggested by someone though but only if JJJJ was in Auckland as Orcon have their own equipment in the exchanges and can supply a faster connection.

JJJJ is in Rororua so he should have picked up on that.

Sweep
05-02-2009, 09:36 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/404731735.png

Still with Xtra BTW. I remember some who would recommend Xnet.
I have no idea what you are doing but maybe using Flightsim on line. Just a guess here.

Time you and others looked at a flightsim server in NZ possibly.

Sweep
05-02-2009, 09:46 PM
It wasn't me that suggested Orcon

It was suggested by someone though but only if JJJJ was in Auckland as Orcon have their own equipment in the exchanges and can supply a faster connection.

JJJJ is in Rororua so he should have picked up on that.

Yep. Jack is in Rotorua and can pick whatever ISP he wants to pay for.
Jack does not remember what led him to go with Orcon and I personally have no idea why he did this. I have no idea why Jack made the decision he did. But the title of this thread indicates that he does not know.

Chilling_Silence
05-02-2009, 09:50 PM
I recommended Orcon, but I recommended contacting the ISPs to find out what the deal was with them wholesaling off Telecom first.

Did you do that?

I agree with Erayd, although their customer service was quite good for us, its their network you'd be signing up for ;)

JJJJJ
05-02-2009, 10:24 PM
I recommended Orcon, but I recommended contacting the ISPs to find out what the deal was with them wholesaling off Telecom first.

Did you do that?

I agree with Erayd, although their customer service was quite good for us, its their network you'd be signing up for ;)

I did that Chill. They have their own network. The sales chap I spoke to was very convincing. It sounded like I was on to a winner.
Of course their broadband may be excellant and normaly I don't worry about their help or support.
But they put me right off when they couldn't connect me in a week. And no indication of when they would.
So I'm still with xnet

stu161204
05-02-2009, 10:36 PM
JJJJJ Have you phoned Orcon??

If you have then maybe post on the Orcon Geekzone forum: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=82

Chilling_Silence
06-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Ah well, thats a bummer ...

>1 week connection time for new ISP vs <3500kbps downloads with existing ISP

Choice is yours ultimately ;)

pctek
06-02-2009, 10:34 AM

You just need to talk to the right people:
http://www.orcon.net.nz/about/staff/

Firdosh (Fred) Wadia
Head of Provisioning
Email Firdosh (Fred)

DDI: +64 9 550 1617

and Russell'll get someone to look after you personally:

Russell Sobotker
Operations Manager
Email Russell
DDI: +64 9 550 1600
Mobile: +64 21 244 2575

Tell Russell you know me and he'll be right onto it.

PM me..........

They have a lot of staff now and of course it varies but these 2 will be the ones to talk to. Fred for your new connection and Russell is overall Supervisor.

Then you get good service.
My son had an issue getting connected - turned out his wiring was a mess, so Orcon credited him $65 for the delay.......

JJJJJ
06-02-2009, 11:44 AM
You just need to talk to the right people:

Firdosh (Fred) Wadia
Head of Provisioning
Email Firdosh (Fred)

DDI: +64 9 550 1617

and Russell'll get someone to look after you personally:

Russell Sobotker
Operations Manager
Email Russell
DDI: +64 9 550 1600
Mobile: +64 21 244 2575

Tell Russell you know me and he'll be right onto it.

PM me..........

They have a lot of staff now and of course it varies but these 2 will be the ones to talk to. Fred for your new connection and Russell is overall Supervisor.

Then you get good service.
My son had an issue getting connected - turned out his wiring was a mess, so Orcon credited him $65 for the delay.......

OK I'll try again.
I've e-mailed Russell and asked for help.
Waiting, but not holding my breath

Just received this:

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<Russell@*REMOVED*.net.NZ>: host mail.orcon.net.NZ[219.88.242.10] said: 550 unknown
user (in reply to RCPT TO command)

zqwerty
06-02-2009, 12:55 PM
They have plenty of staff, I predict layoffs very soon, lol

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Orcon_Staff.jpg

Chilling_Silence
06-02-2009, 02:14 PM
It'll be russell@team.*REMOVED*.net.nz -- All staff email addy's end in @team.orcon.net.nz

pctek
06-02-2009, 02:49 PM
It'll be russell@team.*REMOVED*.net.nz -- All staff email addy's end in @team.orcon.net.nz

Its not. JJJJJ can see it at their website, I didn't post it here so as to avoid bots.

Chilling_Silence
06-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Its actually firstname.lastname@team.orcon.net.nz

Team list here, click on his picture to see his Email addy:
Attached file: Where_Is_Russell.jpg (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Where_Is_Russell.jpg) (117 KB)

Greven
06-02-2009, 11:34 PM

Clear seem to be pretty reliable, but prey you don't have to call them for any reason.

Chilling_Silence
07-02-2009, 01:44 AM
Who? TelstraClear?

Their network is fine in a few limited places where they have their own equipment, but uber-sucks when they wholesale off Telecom, not to mention their helpdesk / support blows :(

pctek
07-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Who? TelstraClear?
not to mention their helpdesk / support blows :(

Hmm. Perceptions.

You know I think a lot of it is who you get answering your call. Who-ever the ISP.

I've rung Telstra on behalf of customers a few times and always got great support.

JJJJJ
07-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Hmm. Perceptions.

You know I think a lot of it is who you get answering your call. Who-ever the ISP..

How true. On the rare occasions I have phoned for help,I invariably get someone who knows less than I do. But who claims to be an expert.

Ang why are ISP's allowed to keep customers waiting "forever" before getting to speak to someone?

And why is Telecom allowed to site their help desk in the middle of the African jungle and man it with gibberish speaking monkeys?

The answer. We put up with it.

JJJJJ
07-02-2009, 02:52 PM
PROGRESS AT LAST!

I e-mailed Russell this morning. Received an immediate apology from him for his incompetant staff. Five munutes later I got a phone call from their sales team leader.
All details are sorted and I will be an orcon customer as soon as telecom change a few plugs over.

So now I can just hope I get a better speed than xnet was giving me.

Chilling_Silence
07-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Perhaps, but Ive spoken with them many times, especially as they fluffed us around heaps trying to get us to change ISPs for a few months to Orcon to get better speeds, then back to them once Telecom had upgraded the Exchange in the Auckland CBD. Only once have I ever had a decent call to Telstra, and Ive dealt with them on several separate occasions...

Maybe I expect too much from Helpdesk staff after working in a helpdesk for 3 years myself :-/

pctek
07-02-2009, 05:04 PM
PROGRESS AT LAST!

I e-mailed Russell this morning. Received an immediate apology from him for his incompetant staff. Five munutes later I got a phone call from their sales team leader.

Great! Told you Russell was the one. He gets them moving.
Sometimes you just have to bump it up the ladder a bit......