PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia drivers not installing! PLEASE HELP!

almightynugget
04-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Hi i just uninstalled my old 180.44 drivers with driver cleaner.NET and installed the new 181.22 drivers for my GeForce 9800GT. I installed them but it doesnt show. my Vista Aero isnt woring my games dont work.

I have an XFX 8800GTS 320mb installed as a dedicated physx card. But it didnt stop me from my last driver installation. So im guessing its not the problem.

Heres the error message i get when trying to run mirrors edge (these are the drivers for best performance 181.22):

"Failed to create DXT texture. This game requires DXT support. If you have manuall disabled it, please re-enable and try again."

Speedy Gonzales
04-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Is this game from a torrent??

almightynugget
04-02-2009, 02:58 PM
no lol i bought it online at gamesman.co.nz how come?

Speedy Gonzales
04-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Coz, some of the sites that say this error, have to do with the torrent versions.

Go to the control center wherever this is and tick Support for DXT Textures

almightynugget
04-02-2009, 03:04 PM
well i typed control centre in the search box in the start menu and i clicked it but nothing happened. Btw i have a NO CD patch for all my games. But i dont have any games downloaded.

And i stress NONE of my games work. its as if the driver wasnt even intalled.

almightynugget
04-02-2009, 03:16 PM
i am going to do a system restore from a few hours back and see how that goes... ill get back with the results

Deane F
04-02-2009, 05:12 PM
When you upgrade a Nvidia Forceware driver you need to clean out the old one properly. Basically, after using the Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and uninstalling Nvidia drivers - and after the restart - go to the Windows/System32/Drivers folder and delete any file starting with the letters "nv" - before you install the new Forceware driver.

wainuitech
04-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Another way of dumping the old Drivers is to use Drive Sweeper (http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)_d1655.html)- you can select to remove only the Graphic Drivers -

WARNING: Deane - dumping all drivers with nv - may also remove chipset or other nVidia drivers.

Then install the new drivers as per normal.

almightynugget
04-02-2009, 06:45 PM
ok fixed it. i did a system restore cleaned the drivers with driver cleaner again and uninstalled physx as well. Installed new drivers and the new physx drivers. ALL GOOD :)

Thanks for the quick replies and the help.

Trev
04-02-2009, 07:43 PM
WARNING: Deane - dumping all drivers with nv - may also remove chipset or other nVidia drivers.

Yes I wondered why my internet wouldn't work after uninstalling my old Nvidia graphics drivers on my Nvidia chipset based mother board. Uninstalled the ethernet drivers as well.
:)

DeSade
04-02-2009, 07:51 PM
I found the shadow support in 181.22 to be less than stellar, I think its best to stay with 180.44 for the moment.