PDA

View Full Version : Help with wireless network

springa886
03-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Hey all,

I hav'nt posted here for awhile, i guess ive had no problems and therefore no questions, lol, but im hoping someone can help me with this new problem I am having.
I recently went ahead and purchased a wireless setup:

1 x Acces Point DWL-2000AP+(speed 54Mbps)
1 x ADSL Modem DSL-320G
1 x 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch DES-1005D

(LOL as I was posting this I read the above and realised I may have just solved my problem!!!)

I have 2 computers, 1 PC and 1 Laptop. I hooked everything up, my PC via ethernet and my laptop has a "Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card" plugged into it.
Now, when i mouse over the "Local Area Connection" screens in my taskbar on my PC it says: "Speed 100 Mbps." When I mouse over the same screens on my laptop, it says: "Speed 54Mbps."
After reading thru what I have just typed, I realised that the wireless thingee I bought, says "speed 54 Mbps" AND the card plugged into the laptop ALSO says 54 Mbps!!
What I would like to know is, how do I get my laptop up to 100 Mbps like my PC????

Cheers guys and gals!!

stormdragon
03-02-2009, 06:04 PM
With your existing hardware if you want a 100Mbps you will have to plug the laptop in via ethernet

Are you using your network for file transfer so simply as an internet connection? If the latter don't worry about the speeds as its greater then your connection speed.

springa886
03-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Hey stormdragon, Its mainly just for the internet, but what do you mean "the speeds as its greater then your connection speed??" I have a 500GB external drive connected to my laptop and shared thru my network that has all of my media files on it. If I want to watch a movie or something on my PC/TV, I have to play it from the networked 500GB external drive connected to the laptop.
Does this mean that my connection to my laptop will be slower therefore making the whole movie watching process lag?????
LOL, I hope you can understand my rambling dude!!!

Speedy Gonzales
03-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Yup simple you cant. You may as well use ethernet. Or use wireless G+ or Wireless N

BUT, then the other pcs would have to support G+ or N as well

Thats the max that wireless can go 54 mbps. It wont go any higher

stormdragon
03-02-2009, 06:15 PM
54MBps is higher then an ADSL connection speed. But you say you share files so don't worry. Does it actually lag?

springa886
03-02-2009, 06:45 PM
LOL I hav'nt actually tried it out lol, I just seen 54Mbps and kinda skitzed out!!! Thought it should have said 100Mbps like the PC does!! But Speedy seems to have set me straight (again!!)
I gather that this is the highest speed you can get from a wireless connection, and as far as I have noticed, the laptop is still the same as before I changed to wireless... SLOW lol! (I need a new one!!)
BTW, what is "G+ or Wireless N??"
I have another card for my laptop and on it, it says: "D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G630 Wireless G notebook adapter." Is that any good?

Speedy Gonzales
03-02-2009, 07:05 PM
This is wireless-n (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless-N)

Faster than G but also more expensive.

G+ I think is 108 mbps (double G's speed)

Only thing is, if you get one of these, the other computers (including the laptop's wireless, will have to changed to G+ or Wireless N as well)

Since you wont get 108 mbps or N speed with normal wireless (54 mbps one)

MushHead
03-02-2009, 09:21 PM
I think using G+ mode (assuming you actually get 108Mbps - that's not a given, depending on interference, distance, etc) will probably require both AP & wireless NIC to be the same brand - the manufacturers seem to all do it slightly differently.

Mind you, depending on the encoding rate on the movies, you may still be good to go...