PDA

View Full Version : Trogan.....

NanaD
02-02-2009, 09:07 PM
I did an Avast scan on my Windows Vista Home edition and twice it popped up saying Win32 Trogan=gen Other on the result list. Tried all the necessary steps to Vault or Delete it but next run of the avast still came up. As for a Registry Cleaner it told me I had something like 700 odd whats-its. Plus to get anywhere on the net it takes for like EVER and I am about to find the hair dye bottle as I am slowly going WHITE - totally driving me nuts. I downloaded a Trojan delete or what ever one calls it and it came up with absolutely nothing to say there was a Trojan Virus/Worm.
My internet supplier is (yes I know what you are going to say) KOL and only have Dial Up but it has NEVER been this blardy slow. I am contemplating uninstalling Avast and perhaps reinstalling it. Has anyone got any ideas to any of the above? I would be truely grateful if anyone can help.:thanks It is going to take me another half hour to get back into this site - if you are there "Speedy" perhaps you could e-mail me dham@kol.co.nz. Many thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
02-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Disable system restore. Dont tell me how I dont use Vista

If you want get teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewer_Setup.exe), and I'll see if I can get into your system from here

To check it out

Install it, then PM the code to me

Blam
02-02-2009, 09:13 PM
The ads on this website are causing it to be real slow, especially since you're on dial up. try installing adblock pluc to get rid of 'em.

Download HijackThis: Direct Link here (http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=3155&file=10&evp=3304750663b552982a8baee6434cfc13)

and copy and paste a log here. Disable System Restore first. Then tick the stuff we tell you to tick then click fixed checked.

Do a scan with MalwareBytesAntiMalware and Spyware Terminator first.
Remember to update and do a FULL scan on each.

CHeers
Blam

Edit: Speedy-I don't think teamviewer would be a good idea considering he's on Dial up:p

Speedy Gonzales
02-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Teamviewer is prob faster than remote desktop :p

Soon find out

NanaD
02-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Thank you Speedy and blam6. I am presently downloading s l o w l y !! teamviewer. I have absolutely no idea how to disable restore. I got to the point where it is and all I could see of any assistance was "allow remote assistance" I will plod along and see how I go. I just have this idea that it is actually the "avast" that is telling me porkies. Will get back to you both if I can't get things to work or I just might take the sledge hammer to this darn computer. I would really much prefer to have my old computer back that had Windows 98 on it. Had none of these problems. Thanks anyway.

Blam
02-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Windows 98...the good 'ol days:p

To disable system restore-Right click my computer>Properties>System restore tab>Tick "turn off system restore on all drives"

Blam

curly
02-02-2009, 11:29 PM
[QUOTE=NanaD;751654]I did an Avast scan on my Windows Vista Home edition and twice it popped up saying Win32 Trogan=gen Other on the result list. Tried all the necessary steps to Vault or Delete it but next run of the avast still came up.
A coincidence, I too found the same trojan running vista and avast tonight.
And no matter what, could not get rid of it.

Could be wrong, but methinks vista and avast have stopped playing nice together.

computer is going just fine - so i'll ignor it.

Could not agree more, with regards to ads slowing pressf1 down, and I am on BB! Been here a long time, perhaps time to move on.

feersumendjinn
02-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Vista: Control Panel>System>System Protection (top left under Tasks)>System Properties(will open on System Protection tab)>uncheck any checked drives to turn off System Restore.
You need to do this because that is where your virus is probably hiding, and restoring itself from, when you reboot (it cant be seen by your antivirus in there).
Do this, then do a virus scan, it should be gone.

NanaD
03-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Good evening all ---- I feel like just smashing this computer. I uninstalled Avast (the old version I had) and installed the new Version which took 2 1/2 hours!!! Didn't ask for Registration key so don't know what happened there. Also now if I try to open the Avast it says "failed to start - ashBase.dll" and something about Splash Screen.
As for trying to get to this Forum - well it is murder taking forever to appear. If I can't get this thing going tonight I will jkust have to suck it in and ring the Repair Man. Thanks to you all for your wonderful help.