PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Home

ianhnz
02-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi and hoping someone can help:help:? My main hard drive has failed:badpc:. I had to reload a fresh copy onto my backup drive. Problem is itís only a 6.3 GB hard drive. Can someone tell me what I can delete without upsetting things? Windows keeps popping up and saying Iím getting out of space. All I have loaded is Comodo firewall/antivirus, Word and Firefox. I only have 241 MBís free. Have 531 MBís in Program Files, 2.25 GBís Documents and Windows folder is 2.46 GBís I have setup compression and archived all folders. This is just a temporary fix, until I can by a replacement:crying. Thanks, Ian.

Speedy Gonzales
02-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Not much you can do, besides use ccleaner and remove temp files etc

pcuser42
02-02-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm running XP on a 4GB SSD (my Eee), so I feel for you. :)

Since this is temporary, compress the hard drive - go into My Computer, right-click C: and select Properties. At the bottim of the window, check the box that says "Compress this drive to save disk space". My Eee now has ~1.3GB free, so it's a real space saver. :D

minster
02-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Have you thought of putting that 2.25 GB’s Documents on a DVD?

ianhnz
02-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the info. :thanksYes I have compressed, Turned off system restore and ran C Cleaner. Gone from 241 MBís free to 483 MB's, so not much differance. Re documents folder, mostly Emails, as I've deleted all the documents I had from the backup disk. I lest I did a back up, about a week back...

pctek
02-02-2009, 12:36 PM
You could go into ADD/Remove and take out some WIndows components you don't need to.
They can be added back in again later.

AvonBill
02-02-2009, 02:09 PM
You can clean up c:\windows\ quite a bit.
Make sure Windows Explorer can see hidden files.
Delete the contents of c:\windows\$hf_mig$\ - leave the folder.
Delete all c:\windows\$nt$uninstall*\ folders.
Delete the contents of C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\

This is all quite safe to do as long as you don't want to rollback any windows updates or service packs. Of course you won't get much back if you haven't done a lot of updating.

Agent_24
02-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Disable hibernation - that feature creates hiberfil.sys which will be the same size as your RAM.

So if you've got 1GB of RAM you'll be using 1GB of hard drive space for it

ianhnz
02-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks, guys. c:\windows\$hf_mig$\ was the only folder, there. Deleted and now have 1.04 GB's. I don't use hibernate, so no worries there. Thanks again.:clap