PDA

View Full Version : Belkin router installed?

sarel
02-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Hi all

I've got friends who's got the following setup : PC : Xtra modem to router to main PC by cable, Vista, more than enough RAM
Second PC : Wireless USB, Vista, more than enough RAM
Laptop : Wireless, Vista, more than enough RAM

Yesterday I tried to check if they've secured their wireless router, only to find that I can't see the router anywhere - Belkin Wireless G. Trying to get to the router command page (168.152.2.1) takes me to Google with a lot of items. No Belkin item on the Start -- Programs menu, no Belkin in the Programs folder. I just wondered if it was even installed.

Question : If I run the installation disk for the Belkin again, won't it b*gger up the current BB settings? Their BB is working fine - even with the above "problem". Where else would Belkin install to?

Thanks in advance

sarel

Erayd
02-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Are you sure you've got the IP right? 168.152.2.1 is a public IP, the one you probably want is 192.168.2.1. If this isn't it, fire up a command-line (start>>run>>cmd) and type 'ipconfig'. The IP it gives you for the 'gateway' is the IP of the belkin, unless you have a very strange network setup.

Note also that you don't 'install' routers per se - while you may choose to install some optional support software for it, this is almost never needed. If they can get on the net, chances are it's set up correctly.

sarel
02-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Sorry, you're right, that's the one I tried Erayd (.192.168.2.1). I just wrote the wrong IP from my piece of paper. And trying to get to the router gateway did not help, not with the command line or with the IP into iether IE or FF.

sarel

Safari
02-02-2009, 09:00 AM
If wireless is not working you won't get the gateway. You will need to connect by ethernet cable and do it that way.

sarel
02-02-2009, 09:36 AM
PC : Xtra modem to router to main PC by cable, Vista, more than enough RAM
= Ethernet..

sarel

sarel
02-02-2009, 10:34 AM
All things being equal, I SHOULD be able to see the router or get access to it but no. Will do the Ipconfig bit tonight after work. Where else can I check?

sarel

Erayd
02-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Can you ping it?

Myth
02-02-2009, 07:01 PM
In Vista, if you go to Network, under properties for the router it should give you the IP.
Try and ping that IP.
If nothing, ping localhost
And check the device is installed in device manager

sarel
04-02-2009, 07:37 AM
I'm a stupid *rs*h*l*. Luckily I know I'm one. Went yesterday back to my friend's router. Opened up the webpage to try and get to the command screen to the router again, and saw that I've been using the Google bar for inputs. Noticed this very small bar on top of the Google bar, did my 192...... stuff and lo and behold - success. Needless to say everything is now secure.

It bothers me that I could not see the obvious frickin Google bar and I think it has now been proven, beyond any reasonable doubt, that I've lost more than a few of my marbles.

Btw, Ipconfig showed everything, including the router - and that's when I started checking again. *Blush*

Anybody else had blond moments like mine?

sarel

Safari
04-02-2009, 07:49 AM
You are not the first to do that although it does have Google on it.
Drag the Google bar to the right so it is as small as possible and there is no mistaking which one to use.