PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading a Computer

Dannysw
01-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Hey, my computer died so i decided to take what i thought were still the working parts and do an upgrade, this meant that i needed a mobo with a agp slot which was hard to find, and eventually found the Foxconnn661GX7MI-S, I then got A new CPU which was the Intel Celeron D Processor 1.8Ghz LGA775 512K Cache 800 FSB #430. However by not really paying attention i found that my motherboard only supports a FSB of 533MHz. when i put my computer together with just the Ram from my old computer and the motherboard and cpu it would not boot and just the fans would run. and no picture on the screen. This was what was happening to the computer before i decided to upgrade it, so would this be because of the non matching FSB's or could it be that both of my sticks of memory died at the same time, as those are the only devices that were present.

Speedy Gonzales
01-02-2009, 03:14 PM
I would say the main prob is the mobo doesnt support the CPU.

You'll have to replace the mobo, if you want the CPU

And if the ram was dead before you put in on this mobo well it'll be both

wainuitech
01-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Welcome to PF1 - could be faulty RAM - remove 1 and see if it boots, if not remove the RAM and try the other.

Was the power Supply changed or is it still the original ??? - If the PSU is faulty that can also cause the symptoms you mention.

Dannysw
01-02-2009, 03:34 PM
wow thanks for the fast reply.

Yeah i tried each of the ram on their own on both computers, so oringally didnt think it would have been them. Alright yeah i thought that would be the problem, so does anyone know of any 533MHZ socket 775 cpus around or a mother board that supports agp and a front side bus speed of 800MHz?

and yeah changed the power supply as it was my first thought as to what happened.

Speedy Gonzales
01-02-2009, 03:41 PM
You'll be lucky to find a 775 pin mobo now with agp

Most have PCI-E

So, you'll either have to get a mobo that supports 800 fsb and a PCI-E videocard

Or a cpu that supports 533 fsb and a PCI-E card

Dannysw
01-02-2009, 03:48 PM
=/ alright I guess its time to upgrade graphics aswell lol it was just ment to be a cheap media center connected upto my tv i guess a new graphics card would make it better anyway.

alright thanks, Danny.

pctek
01-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Hey, my computer died so i decided to take what i thought were still the working parts and do an upgrade
I then got A new CPU which was the Intel Celeron D Processor 1.8Ghz LGA775 512K Cache 800 FSB #430.

Processor: Support Socket T (LGA775) IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Prescott processors
Chipset: SiS 661GX + 964
Front Side Bus: 533 MHz
Memory: Support Max. 2GB Single Channel 400MHz / 333MHz / 266MHz

Nomad
01-02-2009, 05:40 PM
What I would do is put that CPU back onto trademe and get rid of it for what you can.

Get a low end, but new CPU and motherboard, maybe you could get a deal for $200 together or maybe even $150. The RAM you may well need to upgrade too cos they are not compatible. If not concerned with games and stuff, avoid it and get a motherboard with builtin graphics - again these tend to be lower end motherboarfds.

If you want it for media, yeah maybe a graphics card then.

You know the power supply is fine? If the shop supports maybe refund the PSU. Some shops have good policies on that.

Nomad
01-02-2009, 05:43 PM
By the way, does the old system ok for media? I mean do you need a tv out? Or does the screen you have use another way?

If you don't need tv out, maybe you could forgo that.
Generally I have found that a Freeview or Sky deck is better without the computer. DVD HD decks are quite cheap now.....

If you really wanna go cheap and you know the parts works. Go back onto trademe and look for a CPU that specifically supported by that motherboard. Under $100 solution - done.

Dannysw
02-02-2009, 07:38 PM
yeah the old one was sweet, just have a low res tv and run through the s-video port and my 5.1 speakers, looks fine yeah found a cpu that is compatable with it on trademe so hopfully all thats running fine, and probably either sell the cpu on trade me or just use it as an excuse to build another box that i can mess around with linux on again.

LynX
03-02-2009, 09:32 AM
If I were you (and rich) I'd start everything from scratch.

Dannysw
05-02-2009, 08:30 AM
heh yeah i would have done that too but im planning on building a new comp at the end of the year and im not rich.
In hindsite i should have just got a new mobo with pcie new cpu and new graphics card would have been cheaper too.