PDA

View Full Version : Improve PC Music

BC1950
01-02-2009, 12:57 AM
PC's are being used as the primary home music system. So,why does my PC music sound like crap? It's not an mp3 issue because I have tested CD's.

I have a high power system, Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty sound card , and Logitech's Z-5500 Digital speaker system.

I had my front speakers connected to a pair of Bose speakers, but someone advised that they might not be power compatible with the Z-5500 sound system. Either way, the sound was not that impressive. I've considered running through an amplifier, but I'm resisting that step because of cost and clutter.

Thx,

BC

Agent_24
01-02-2009, 01:52 AM
What do you mean by "sound like crap"?

BC1950
01-02-2009, 02:40 AM
Agreed, I thought the "crap" statement harsh and non-descriptive. I'm just not impressed with the quality of the sound. "Tinny" or "Cheap" would be the best description. I'm just assuming that the sound should be much more "rich" approaching a medium quality stereo with decent quality speakers. Hmm.... this is like trying to describe how bread tastes :-)

Maybe I should be asking how others have their PC to Speakers set up and their opinion of the sound quality?

Thx
BC

acheron4778
01-02-2009, 04:13 AM
Tried changing equalizer settings?

pctek
01-02-2009, 06:49 AM
why does my PC music sound like crap? I
I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty sound card , and Logitech's Z-5500 Digital speaker system.

Because you play it through hardware designed for gaming.
You want real audio then play it through a proper sound system and not your computer.

Sweep
01-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Open the Creative audio control and set it to Entertainment mode.

the_bogan
01-02-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm using the X-230 (2.1 sound system) with on board audio, and the sound is definately not tinny, unless you've covered the sub woofer, or maybe your speakers aren't in very good alignment?

Agent_24
01-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Because you play it through hardware designed for gaming.
You want real audio then play it through a proper sound system and not your computer.

Or just get a proper sound card designed for good audio. Like something built on the C-media Oxygen (if you can find one!)

I think a post from tomshardware forums pretty much sums up what I think of Creative: "they're over priced and underperform and there [sic] driver support is crap."

At least Realtek release new drivers seemingly every 5 minutes.

Trev
01-02-2009, 09:58 AM
I have some Klipsch 2.1 PC speakers with subwoofer useing a Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card and they sound great.
:)

Sweep
01-02-2009, 10:07 AM
I run a Soundblaster X-Fi with 5.1 creative speakers. No problems with the quality of sound here. Then again I am no audiophile. I just know what I like.

memphis
01-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Open the Creative audio control and set it to Entertainment mode.

+1

And also what media player are you using?

Also play about with the settings of your media player will make a big difference too.-(equalizer,rock,bass,trebal,etc.)

Some good media players are:
Winamp
Mediamonkey
Gom Media Player
Foobar 2000
VLC

So yeah play about with different media players and their sound settings and I think your sound should be good since you have a good sound card and speakers.:):thumbs:

BC1950
03-02-2009, 11:09 AM
I just use Window MP11.

I did remove the Bose speakers and went back to the original Logitech speakers up front. I read online that the speakers are balanced. I can hear more base now, which has improved the quality. I just need to realize that the PC will never sound like a McIntosh Amp with $4000 speakers.

BC

utopian201
03-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Which version of the z5500 did you get, the one where the satellites connect via RCA cables or 2 wires? Mine uses 2 wires, so the following applies to that:

Have you wired it up correctly? It sounds strange (like some frequencies are missing) if you have the red and black wire reversed.
Also are the 3.5mm plugs inserted fully? There are still sounds coming from both speakers, but it wont quite sound stereo if they are only inserted half way through.

If you're connecting the Bose speakers up to the Logitech sub, I'd recommend against that. The sub is designed to power only the satellites that came with it. It is possible to ruin speakers by connecting them up to sources that aren't designed for them. I'm not sure if it is possible for the Bose to have damaged your sub (because that is where the power supply is) by drawing too much/too little power, which is possibly why the satellites now may not sound quite right...

I have the same speakers using cmedia onboard sound, can't complain. And dont knock quality onboard. Onboard + $400 speakers sounds better than $200 sound card + $200 speakers.

And no, your $600 speakers will not sound like $4000 speakers. I've read that the Z5500 have boomy, loose bass and a weak midrange since they lack a dedicated high and mid range driver; my only complaints is the bass is a bit loose, but I'm not sure if I just think that because it is what I have read.

But surround sound with a decoder for $600 cant be wrong

CYaBro
03-02-2009, 12:01 PM
The other problem is that you are using a speaker system, Z-5500, which is designed for 5.1 audio for watching movies with surround sound.
They were never designed to give great sound when listening to a CD/MP3.

I have a set of these at home and they are great for watching movies and OK for listening to music but my Image Bookshelf loudspeakers connected to the Sonos give much better quality.

You could try using the SPDIF coax or optical inputs if your PC has one of those and see if the sound improves.

RusEvo
04-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Whafledale speakers plus Yamaha 8inch ported 170w sub.......sounds fine to me.

gary67
04-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Mission M75 floor standing connected to Denon amp sounds brilliant