PDA

View Full Version : DISABLING RIGHT CLICK & TRANSPARENT GIFS

Princess
31-01-2009, 12:19 PM
:help:

Happy New Year everyone!

Can anybody help me with step-by-step instructions to either disable right click or to create transparent gifs? I'd like to do either, or both - to semi-protect my family photos on Bebo.

Yes, I know they won't be entirely safe from people taking them, and that you shouldn't put pics on the net if you don't want them taken etc. But making them a little more hassle-free to attain is better than nothing at all.

I have looked this up before, and notice that there's something to do with scripts etc (disable right-click), but I don't know how to actually do this - as in where is the 'script' part etc. Clear instructions would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance. :thanks

Princess
31-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Sorry - paragraph 2 correction: Should read: "But making them a little more of a hassle to attain is better than nothing at all".

bob_doe_nz
31-01-2009, 12:49 PM
I would not bother with disabling right clicks. It can be easily removed with script blocking utilities and even if you do get that working, it's still easy to retrieve the photos

feersumendjinn
31-01-2009, 01:04 PM
S'pose you already know you can make your profile private and/or make your photos viewable to friends only
http://www.bebo.com/Help.jsp
Should imagine you could only attach javascript to your photos if you had access to Bebo's server :p

Princess
31-01-2009, 04:26 PM
S'pose you already know you can make your profile private and/or make your photos viewable to friends only
http://www.bebo.com/Help.jsp
Should imagine you could only attach javascript to your photos if you had access to Bebo's server :p

Yip, have done that - but you can still right click and 'save as' the pictures. Some of my family have open profiles, and I'm not keen on that, especially when you can't stop them from saving your pictures to their own bebo page.

Cheers.

FoxyMX
31-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Embed your account name as a watermark on your photos. That might put people off taking them.

Princess
31-01-2009, 06:58 PM
How to disable right click or create transparent GIFs, Anyone??????????????

Renmoo
31-01-2009, 07:03 PM
I would not bother with disabling right clicks. It can be easily removed with script blocking utilities and even if you do get that working, it's still easy to retrieve the photos

How to disable right click or create transparent GIFs, Anyone??????????????
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright.htm - bear in mind bob_doe_nz's reminder.

Transparent GIFs? Start Adobe Photoshop > File > New > Background Contents set to "Transparent" > Save As .gif

I'm pretty sure that didn't answer your question for some reason.

Princess
01-02-2009, 04:24 PM
:thanks Cheers for the constructive feedback. Looks like I will have to buy photoshop now.

Happy days folks! The weather's a 'scorcher' here today:cool:

Blam
01-02-2009, 07:14 PM
I wouldn't bother buying PS JUST for this simple task, you can probably do the same in GIMP.

Google IT:D

Blam

Princess
01-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Cheers for that. Had been thinking about buying PS for a while for photos etc. I managed to find out 'where' the scripts are located - FINALLY. I had no idea where to find this on a webpage. Now I know, yippee. However, when I'm trying to cut n paste script in to disable right click etc, it doesn't save it. I click save etc, but when I go back into the webpage, it has reverted back to what the script originally was. I could be pasting it in the wrong place I guess, but I thought between <head> and put the copied script in here then end with </head>. There's that much other code in there that I can't make out whether I've put it in the right place, or whether I should've put a space, start a new paragraph???????

I got it to work, but only saved as a seperate web page. If I log into Bebo, under the normal log in - again it's back to how it was.

Getting frustrated now. The instructions seem clear enough, but even things like saving as a gif file and saving along with the original image and then putting another code somewhere (don't know where) to use the transparent gif instead of the original...oh no...sorry .....think I've busted a few brain cells....I'm waffling.

Cheers anyway if someone can come up with some guidance.

annie
01-02-2009, 10:56 PM
It's almost impossible to stop photo downloads, no matter what you do, anyone could google to bring up heaps of methods - and if all else fails, a screen capture would get it. Even print-screen will copy it to the clipboard.

If you have photos that really are sensitive, I'd avoid putting them up.