PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Presario 5420AU

ianhnz
29-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Can someone please help me with a problem on my above computer?:badpc::badpc: If I have to do a "cold start" it does not see the two hard drives, just my CD, DVD and floppy drives. I tried changing the cables around and still would boot up. I have had this problem, before, and as long as I do a warm boot all is okay. I had using a Linux disk, for the last week, and yesterday I disconnected the master hard drive and it said it found the slave. So I then plugged in the master and it started up... I have used the Online chat line, with HP and they say the BIOS needs flashing. I tried that and it said I had version 1.1 and I reloaded (flashed) it with the same version. Any help greatly appreciated as I'm afraid to turn it off, now. Thanks, Ian.:clap

Blam
29-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Is it set to boot from hard drive in BIOS?

ianhnz
29-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Yes it is. I also accessed the BIOS and reset to default. :help:

wainuitech
29-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Are the drives IDE or SATA ?

Does it still have the original PSU - what wattage is it - it will be written on the side of the PSU.

Try disconnecting one of the Optical Drives, and One HDD - see if it boots OK when cold with whats left connected.

ianhnz
30-01-2009, 06:34 AM
Ide drives. Yes all original. I yes I'd tried disconnecting I and both optical and hard drives and set uo combination's. Nothing worked, at the time.