PDA

View Full Version : 6GB memory on Vista Ultimate 32bit?

acheron4778
29-01-2009, 01:50 AM
I've been reading about this for the past 30 mins and couldn't find anything conclusive. I will soon be getting an i7 on an Asus P6T Deluxe with 6GB (3x2) of DDR3-1600 memory, and I was planning on getting Vista Ultimate 32bit. Is that gonna work?

qazwsxokmijn
29-01-2009, 01:55 AM
Yeah, it will work but you'll only get anywhere between 3 - 3.75GB of the memory. So getting that memory would be a waste if you go for 32bit.

acheron4778
29-01-2009, 02:43 AM
I was afraid of that. Are the horror stories about driver issues and poor gaming performance on 64bit true or just fabrications by the anti-ms macwhore crowd?

Erayd
29-01-2009, 07:47 AM
I was afraid of that. Are the horror stories about driver issues and poor gaming performance on 64bit true or just fabrications by the anti-ms macwhore crowd?

Those were mainly XP64 horror stories, and true at the time. Vista 64bit is usually fine driver-wise, although there are a few missing.

Gobe1
29-01-2009, 08:01 AM
Yeah i was fearful of the driver issues with vista 64 but i have been using it for nearly 6 months now and it is great, so fast, and i am only running a Pentium D 3.2! with 2 Gb ram.
Would love to play with a i7 and x64, whew :drool

JJJJJ
29-01-2009, 08:06 AM
simple realy. If you want to use 6 mb ram, then get 64 bit o/s.
If you just want to fill the holes then 32 bit will do.

DeSade
29-01-2009, 08:18 AM
I use Vista 64bit, while some older games do not run (due to the 64bit not driver issues) the rest are fine.

Also I have never had a problem finding the right drivers for my hardware.
64bit is the way to go imo.

pctek
29-01-2009, 08:18 AM
That would be silly using 32bit.
Use 64bit.
Gaming is fine on it. Its Vista that gets the horror stories but you can tweak it.

SolMiester
29-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Vista x64 w\ more than 4Gb is way faster than Vista x86. Unless you have 16bit programs, you shouldn't have many issues at all, if fact most hardware review sites do all their testing of hardware with Vx64 because of the large memory on today graphics cards with SLI\Xfire etc.

Edit - if you can afford a new PC as spec'd above, then you shouldn't be using legacy peripherals which are the biggest problems. If new hardware doesn't have drivers for Vista x64, then I wouldn't be buying their products.

jwil1
29-01-2009, 08:59 AM
I have Vista and 7 64-bit. I haven't had any problems with it - but make sure you have drivers for every device.

I dual-boot with Windows XP 32 bit, in case a program doesn't work properly on 64 bit.

kersonan
29-01-2009, 09:33 AM
I'm running 64bit on a machine built to game, 8gb ram 2x260GTX's in SLI etc etc, I actually find Vista64 damn good to game on nowdays, driver support is good. Medal of Honor:airborne wouldnt install, had to install on XP machine and copy folder over, ran fine. thats about the only prob i've ever had.

Sweep
29-01-2009, 12:50 PM
I just reinstalled all my hardware under Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I had been dual booting WinXP32 and Vista 64.

I have only just got around to reinstalling my Logitech force feedback joystick and an older HP 7260 printer. Both of these worked under Windows 7 64 bit too.

Fired up MS FlightSim 2004 with no problems.

My opinion is to go to a 64 bit O/S if you want to install 6 Gig RAM.

There are some programs I had that do not work under my O/S but I found alternative applications that do the same job.

I believe my next O/S will be a 64 bit Win7.

Please note I am not a gamer in the accepted sense of the word.

Sweep
29-01-2009, 12:56 PM
I have Vista and 7 64-bit. I haven't had any problems with it - but make sure you have drivers for every device.

I dual-boot with Windows XP 32 bit, in case a program doesn't work properly on 64 bit.

You have three operating systems. Do you use all three? If so you triple boot I guess.

Removable hard drives in trays are great but may break a raid array etc.

Just to clarify what you are doing.

jwil1
29-01-2009, 01:48 PM
You have three operating systems. Do you use all three? If so you triple boot I guess.

Removable hard drives in trays are great but may break a raid array etc.

Just to clarify what you are doing.

I have a dual-boot with XP and Vista (permanently).

I have 7 installed on a second HD, with it's own bootloader. To boot from it, I set it as the primary HD in the BIOS and hey presto!

I do this so i can fiddle around with 7's disk/bootloader as much as I want without touching (and possibly screwing up) my XP/Vista setup.

MAC_H8ER
29-01-2009, 02:40 PM
go for 64 bit

the horror stoies have been told to get lost and things are pretty good on the dark side

im running vista 64bit and everything runs sweet and since you will be going to a Core i7 then there will most certainly be 64 bit drivers for new kit as people are starting to move to 64bit in mobs now it seems

think of 64 bit as exactly the same as 32bit but with the ability to use more ram and run a little bit faster as thats all the end user really sees :thumbs:

Sweep
29-01-2009, 02:56 PM
I have a dual-boot with XP and Vista (permanently).

I have 7 installed on a second HD, with it's own bootloader. To boot from it, I set it as the primary HD in the BIOS and hey presto!

I do this so i can fiddle around with 7's disk/bootloader as much as I want without touching (and possibly screwing up) my XP/Vista setup.

Now understood. Thanks for that.

robsonde
29-01-2009, 05:50 PM
To answer the 3.5GB limit question......

Remember that in the absence of the 64 bit support, the Windows memory manager is limited to a 4GB physical address space. Most of that address space is filled with RAM, but not all of it. Memory-mapped devices (such as your video card) will use some of that physical address space, as will the BIOS ROMs. After all the non-memory devices have had their say, there will be less than 4GB of address space available for RAM below the 4GB physical address boundary.

the motherboard assigned the ROMs and the hardware devices to the physical address space between 3.5GB and 4GB (occupying about 0.5GB of address space). When you start plugging in your memory chips, then, they are assigned physical addresses starting at the bottom, and then skip over the address space that has already been assigned to the hardware and ROM, then resume.

On this imaginary system, then, the 0.5GB of address space used for hardware and ROMs causes that much memory to get shoved upwards, and it ends up above the 4GB boundary. Without 64 bit support, the processor is capable only of addressing memory below the 4GB boundary, which means that the memory above that boundary is inaccessible. It's consuming electricity but isn't doing anything.

The solution is to go to 64-bit OS so that the processor can access the physical address space above the 4GB boundary.

So why don't we just map the ROMs and the hardware devices to space above 4GB??
then the CPU can't access the IO devices so you have system with 4GB of RAM and no video card......

any questions??

Blam
29-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Vista 64 will run like a dream with 6gb and an i7....getting Vista 32 would be a stupid idea...

Just my 2 cents

Blam

acheron4778
29-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Much appreciated, thanks guys.

I shall go forth into the unknown confidently.

Thebananamonkey
30-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Can someone please sticky a thread on the difference/myths behind 32/64bit OS's?

This question comes up so often it's silly.

Gobe1
30-01-2009, 09:14 AM
So i have lots of 32 bit machines with 4Gb Ram here at work but they all have varing amounts of available memory (ie 3.25, 3.0 , 3.3 etc)
Robsonde; so this would depend on other hardware attached? ie Quadro FX1700 has 512 ram?? but other machine may have FX 1500 with 256 ram so has more available memory

SolMiester
30-01-2009, 10:18 AM
So i have lots of 32 bit machines with 4Gb Ram here at work but they all have varing amounts of available memory (ie 3.25, 3.0 , 3.3 etc)
Robsonde; so this would depend on other hardware attached? ie Quadro FX1700 has 512 ram?? but other machine may have FX 1500 with 256 ram so has more available memory

Yes, but not just GPU memory, but ALL devices that are addressed by the operating system, NIC, Sound Card, SATA controllers, SCSI controllers...etc etc...