PDA

View Full Version : CPU upgrade

lakewoodlady
28-01-2009, 09:03 PM
I would like some advice please. My son uses our PC for online gaming, (Battlefield 2142 and Battlefield Vietnam) and wants to upgrade the CPU.
It has an Intel Celeron D 2.66Ghz
Mobo ASUS P5S800-VM 533FSB.

What is the fastest CPU that it could take? And approx how expensive would it be to upgrade?

Cheers LL :)

memphis
28-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Have you looked on your motherboard makers website?:clap:clap:clap

Or used GOOGLE?:lol:

For prices have a look at www.pricespy.co.nz:)

Blam
28-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Your mobo doesn't support C2D natively so upgrading wouldn't be worth it IMO.

You could upgrade to a P4, that would prob provide sufficient performance.

Whats the current vid card, as that is the single most important part in gaming.

Blam

lakewoodlady
28-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Hi,
Yes I could try googling it but don't quite know what I'd be looking for for, so I was hoping someone on here could help. No I haven't looked on Mobo's site yet.

Thanks blam6, P4 it might be then. Son just got a new graphics card put in. ATI Raedon Sapphire 3800 512 RAM. It goes heaps better than the old GForceFX 5200 64 RAM, but still lags a bit when more than 6 people on the game server.

LL

Blam
28-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Not too bad, does he have 2gb of RAM?

lakewoodlady
28-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Not too bad, does he have 2gb of RAM?

1500 RAM, but looking to up that as well. Mobo only supports 2 GB max.

LL

memphis
28-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Cpu:LGA 775 800fsb

Ram:2 gig ddr 400 max

feersumendjinn
28-01-2009, 10:57 PM
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5S800-VM&product=1&os=17
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=146&model=374&modelmenu=1

Myth
29-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Before one goes spending too much money, I would look at a possible upgrade. The reason being that P4 are quite an old CPU now and spending money upgrading one old CPU to another old CPU to me is just a waste. Then adding older RAM etc etc. More money gone to waste

Why not look at upgrading to something a bit more modern... say an AMD x2 (two CPU cores)
A lot faster, and not an expensive upgrade (I did my own for just over $500 which required a new mobo, CPU, RAM, and SATA harddrive).
One of the techs here might be able to do you a deal, rather than buy from a local and spend heaps on their markups

lakewoodlady
29-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions guys! Will consider all options and get back on here and let you know how we get on.

Cheers LL :thanks

Nomad
29-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Just my 2c.

Another PC at home is a AMD 2500 Sempron - like your Celeron.
Since you already havd 1.5GB of RAM, that area is fine.

I have just built my new system, 2.33 Quad Core. 4GB RAM, windows takes about 3.3GB unless I get 64 bit windows. While using Adobe Lightroom even (photography) and all my other window stuff, virus scanner etc... I still have 2.5GB free. So RAM is not an issue in my view.

I suggest: (for games)
Give your PC a good clean using software, Wainuitech's signature has the 3 software.

And maybe if that is not enough, upgrade to a P4 CPU or a motherboard upgrade as well and get C2D if you like. In my view, I wolud just do the motherboard swap with CPU, maybe you can have this old PC and he has the new one, I mean a new motherboard and cpu will require different RAM as well, then it is just a handful of other stuff to a new PC - case and power supply, keyboard, mouse and a hard drive.

Just maybe a new video card may provide the leverage required without the above mass changes. What video card you have now?

lakewoodlady
29-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi,
Yes I could try googling it but don't quite know what I'd be looking for for, so I was hoping someone on here could help. No I haven't looked on Mobo's site yet.

Thanks blam6, P4 it might be then. Son just got a new graphics card put in. ATI Raedon Sapphire 3800 512 RAM. It goes heaps better than the old GForceFX 5200 64 RAM, but still lags a bit when more than 6 people on the game server.

LL

Details of card are in the quote.
I don't want to mess about with swapping cases, and bits and pieces. It would work out too expensive and I cannot afford that. Son can't either, he only wanted to know whether the CPU could be upgraded. Maybe a new custom PC in the future.
My PC is tight and clean, and yes I have Ccleaner, Superantispyware, Malwarebytes, Rogue remover, Advanced System Care, Avast, and Comodo. All are updated and run regularly.

Cheers LL

SolMiester
29-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Hi,

LL

The celeron is a budget cpu, with the L1 cache crippled at only 1/4 of the original P4. Cache is where the cpu holds code and data while processing, if the cache is too little the cpu has to pull info from the RAM then the Hard drive....

When online gaming, alot depends on the ping times or response speed through the internet unless your pc is acting as the game server.

As stated, your PC is depending on the cpu generation, at least 3 generations behind the ball game. For the price of a 2nd P4, you my find a later model motherboard and cpu.....