PDA

View Full Version : Broadband speed

JJJJJ
28-01-2009, 07:47 AM
Is there any difference in download speed between Xtra and other ISP's in the same location.
If I change to xtra will I get a faster speed?

I'm not overly worried about cost , I want speed

Erayd
28-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Yes - speed (particularly international speed) varies between ISPs depending on how much backhaul capacity they have available once they get off Telecom's network.

If your primary concern is speed, go with Orcon's ADSL2+ plan if you're in Auckland, or TelstraClear's cable network if you're in Wellington or Christchurch.

FoxyMX
28-01-2009, 08:25 AM
JJJJJ is in Rotorua.

Chilling_Silence
28-01-2009, 08:29 AM
You would basically need to call a few different ISPs such as Orcon / Ihug / TelstraClear and confirm that they're *NOT* wholesaling off Telecom. If you can find an ISP in your area that isnt a Telecom wholesaler, then you might have better odds with them :)

You'd be surprised, a quick call to most Helpdesks, perhaps ask them to double-check with their Team Leader, and they're more than happy to tell you if they wholesale or not :)

Gobe1
28-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Yeah its a pity you cant get 1 month trial to see if they are going to be faster (wouldnt take that long?)
Telstra rang once claiming the would speed up my connection for the same price (im with xtra), so i said "You can guarantee faster broadband?", they claimed they could. They never rang back?? I would have switched.

Pity you cant keep your email address like cell phone numbers now, maybe one day

linw
28-01-2009, 09:52 AM
snip
Pity you cant keep your email address like cell phone numbers now, maybe one day

You can. It's called Gmail (or some other ISP independent provider).

Chilling_Silence
28-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Also, you can keep your email address. Most ISPs offer something like $2.50 for an email-only account. If you're with Telecom, then it'll prolly cost more though ... :-/

decibel
28-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Also, if your line speed (between your modem and the local exchange DSLAM) is low, then a new ISP is not going to make it go faster.

JJJJJ
29-01-2009, 11:00 AM
As I said in another post. I had been downloading at over 4000kbps for the past year. With xnet.
Then overnight my conection dropped to under 3kbps. It has not been above 2800 since.
Connections all checked and re-checked. Tried a new router.

Xnet tell me I am getting full speed. All my lines can handle. And that anything over 2.5 is satisfactory. They say they have checked with Telecom and that nothing is wrong there.
I am convinced my download speed has been capped, probably by Xnet.

That is why I ask is there any ISP that supplies what they say they will.

I emailed Telstra and asked if they could supply what I want. Got a comp. generated reply saying I would get an answer within 48 hours. Ten days later I am still waiting.

Sweep
29-01-2009, 12:31 PM
My connection with Xtra:-
http://www.speedtest.net/result/399735842.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

In the same town I set up a new Xnet connection for a friend and noted that he was getting 2812 / 142. This was not a capped speed as he had not downloaded or uploaded anything until I set the connection.

I am approx the same distance from the exchange as he is. I commented that I felt the speed was low and I will see what I can do about it this coming weekend.

sam m
29-01-2009, 12:54 PM
I must have just had cabinet installed and adsl2+ enabled as previously I was getting about 1.5Mbps as I am about 5km from Te Rapa exchange.

I now get...:banana (http://www.speedtest.net/result/399076540.png)

I am with xtra.

Chilling_Silence
29-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Yeah Jack the problem is they're just wholesaling off Telecom. IF Telecom havent got enough bandwidth going to their local exchange, then you'll need to find another ISP which *doesnt* wholesale off Telecom.

Do you know anybody in your area who's with either Ihug / Vodafone, TelstraClear or Orcon?
Also, I know its a bit of a hassle, but I strongly suggest ringing the Helpdesks for each of those ISPs and finding out if they DO wholesale or have their own equipment in the exchange :)

Safari
29-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Yeah Jack the problem is they're just wholesaling off Telecom. IF Telecom havent got enough bandwidth going to their local exchange, then you'll need to find another ISP which *doesnt* wholesale off Telecom.

Do you know anybody in your area who's with either Ihug / Vodafone, TelstraClear or Orcon?
Also, I know its a bit of a hassle, but I strongly suggest ringing the Helpdesks for each of those ISPs and finding out if they DO wholesale or have their own equipment in the exchange :)

It is not always a problem with the Telecom exchange.
It is quite possible you will get faster speeds with a different ISP as you will be using their bandwidth and they may have more available then your existing ISP

Very few ISPs can afford to put their own equipment in telecom exchanges so you are wasting your time asking if this has happened in Rotorua.
Only Vodafone and Orcon have done this so far and only in Auckland.

Sweep
29-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Is there any difference in download speed between Xtra and other ISP's in the same location.
If I change to xtra will I get a faster speed?

I'm not overly worried about cost , I want speed

OK Jack.

If you are not worried about cost and you want speed then I suggest you move to a location like Japan for example.

Personally I do not think any ISP can give you a 100% guarantee about anything concerning speed or even service. With any ISP there can be problems. I note that there were problems last weekend with Xtra that took some time to resolve for 10,000 customers. I was not affected except for on the weekend. I had the net but the mail server did not want to know.

Any server can go down and then we have to factor in how many people are connected at any point in time. Then of course some people sign up to a provider because they will give you a free modem and promise whatever. Memories of going to Auckland and setting up broadband there some time back. Big expense as the house needed rewiring.

It is not a perfect science unfortunately.

Then of course there are all these different plans that may want to supply telephone services and other added extras.

JJJJJ
29-01-2009, 03:52 PM
OK Jack.

If you are not worried about cost and you want speed then I suggest you move to a location like Japan for example.

Personally I do not think any ISP can give you a 100% guarantee about anything concerning speed or even service. With any ISP there can be problems. I note that there were problems last weekend with Xtra that took some time to resolve for 10,000 customers. I was not affected except for on the weekend. I had the net but the mail server did not want to know.

Any server can go down and then we have to factor in how many people are connected at any point in time. Then of course some people sign up to a provider because they will give you a free modem and promise whatever. Memories of going to Auckland and setting up broadband there some time back. Big expense as the house needed rewiring.

It is not a perfect science unfortunately.

Then of course there are all these different plans that may want to supply telephone services and other added extras.

I am not asking for 100% guarantee. Just an indication of what I can expect.
Anyway I've e-mailed Orcon so we'll see what they say

zcc
29-01-2009, 03:57 PM
btw... I got a 1000kbps increase off xnet... how?

I junked my old d-link g604t and got a belkin ADSL2+ (same features) and overnite up on sydney speedtest... am now 4700kbps.... YES!

I dont know why... but I got the improvment... not unless xnet have fixed something in the last 48hrs...

JJJJJ
29-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Just received this. Now I wonder what it means. Today, tomorrow, or next month.

"Your Ticket has been received and a member of our staff will review it and reply accordingly."

Sweep
29-01-2009, 04:21 PM
I am not asking for 100% guarantee. Just an indication of what I can expect.
Anyway I've e-mailed Orcon so we'll see what they say

I have used Orcon in the past and the goalpost shifted.

I signed up for "all you can eat lifetime no unexpected bills etc" at one time then they put the prices up from around $60 to near $100 FOR THE SAME PLAN.

Try Orcon if you like. I also had a problem getting off Orcon to go back to Xtra.

A copy of your Email to Orcon and their reply may be useful to other PressF1 members.

"That is why I ask is there any ISP that supplies what they say they will.

I emailed Telstra and asked if they could supply what I want. Got a comp. generated reply saying I would get an answer within 48 hours. Ten days later I am still waiting."

Your Email to Telstra copy thereof?

Any ISP may have problems as I have said.

Sweep
29-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Just received this. Now I wonder what it means. Today, tomorrow, or next month.

"Your Ticket has been received and a member of our staff will review it and reply accordingly."

Jack.

You know very well what it means do you not?

Try consumer magazine or citizens advice.

hueybot3000
29-01-2009, 04:37 PM
go with telstra if you can, not sure if they ahve cable up there but its quick and reliable. they take there freakin time switching it on thou...

supergran
29-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Ok, how do I load an attachment with a speedtest. Testing This is typical for me Xnet speed. Yes, I have contacted them, but they say everything is fine. On the river plan

This is average for me, used to be up over 3000 now can't even get to 1000

Chilling_Silence
29-01-2009, 10:46 PM
hueybot3000, cable isnt available in all areas
supergran, not being stink, but those speeds suck :(

Not sure what part of the country you're in, but if you're doing more than just a little bit of basic browsing / email occasionally, I'd be looking for another ISP personally ...

Driftwood
30-01-2009, 03:58 PM
I have been reading this with interest as my broadband speed has just been chopped.
I also think I have been shafted by my ISP.
I was quite happy with my download speed but noticed they were offering data banking.
Which carries the unused portion of your datablock over to the next billing period.
I couldn't see on the website how to get on to that, so called them up.
I was told, all I had to do was sign up for another 12 Months & no extra charge.
I agreed to that & the next thing you know my plan has been changed back to a starter package.
After several calls they admitted I may have been miss led.
Unfortunately I couldnt go back on to my previous plan as it had been phased out.
I was offered a faster plan for $10 more, had a higher cap & they gave me a $100 credit. I agreed to it on a Monthly basis & see how it went.
When it kicked in it was slower than my original plan.
I spoke to a ISP Tech today & he made me do a speed test on "speedtest.net" which was exellent. He then started blaiming my gear & the site I was downloading from. He wasn't interested when I said the only thing that had changed was at their end.
So I guess I'm stuck with it unless I change to another ISP.