PDA

View Full Version : Have I been ripped off?

johcar
27-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Or am I misunderstanding something?

Bought an Asus N50Vc before Christmas. Sticker beside the touchpad gives all the specs, including mention of 4GB RAM (it's running Vista Ultimate)

Just downloaded Belarc and run it and Belarc reports 3072MB RAM - apparently short by 1GB. (I also see this on the Performance tab of the Task Manager)

However the Belarc report also shows:

"Slot 'SODIMM0' has 2048 MB
Slot 'SODIMM1' has 2048 MB"

which suggest there IS 4GB RAM, but perhaps one stick has partially failed...

Any ideas??? Is it possible for one side of one stick to fail, but not affect the other side?

chiefnz
27-01-2009, 10:19 AM
No that's about right... assuming you're using a 32 bit OS. These can only address just over 3GB of RAM.... 3.3GB if I'm not mistaken.

You can physically install 4GB but Windows will not address/recognise the full 4GB. If you want 4GB+ you will need to use a 64 bit OS.

Your onboard graphics chip might also be allocated some of the RAM for use so that could also be the reson why your RAM is closer to 3GB rather than 3.3GB.

Cheers,

wratterus
27-01-2009, 10:33 AM
How much memory does the graphics card have? This is included in the total Windows can see (which ought to be 4GB).

As far as I know - and I'm sure I've read this off a microsoft website at some point, Windows XP and Vista 32 bit can only address 4GB total of memory. This is normal system RAM and also and memory on a graphics card, if theres one installed.

Example would be - PC with 2x 2GB RAM and a 512MB graphics card.

Windows would show 3.5GB (or thereabouts) available for use.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :p

johcar
27-01-2009, 10:54 AM
How much memory does the graphics card have? This is included in the total Windows can see (which ought to be 4GB).

As far as I know - and I'm sure I've read this off a microsoft website at some point, Windows XP and Vista 32 bit can only address 4GB total of memory. This is normal system RAM and also and memory on a graphics card, if theres one installed.

Example would be - PC with 2x 2GB RAM and a 512MB graphics card.

Windows would show 3.5GB (or thereabouts) available for use.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :p

The sticker (and specs) say 4GB RAM and a 512MB separate video card (GeForce 9300m GS).

It was my understanding that Ultimate was able to use, and in fact benefited from, 4GB RAM....

MAC_H8ER
27-01-2009, 10:56 AM
youve probably been partially ripped off - you have all the right hardware but only a 32 bit OS that can only see just over 3GB ram cause its cheaper

if you really REALLY NEED that extra 900mb ram then grab a copy of vista 64bit :thumbs:

johcar
27-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I saw one of the discs that came with the system appears to have 64bit drivers - so maybe the unit is 64bit-compatible, but I don't have a 64bit version of Vista (nor do I have a current 'need' to invest in that kind of upgrade)

razzarphenix
27-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Anyone know if the 3.3-3.5gb limit is also affected by dedicated RAM on a graphics card? What I mean is if you have 3gigs of ram + 512mb of ram for the dedicated graphics card does that mean potentially you loose say 300megs of system ram (so in this case 2724megs of System RAM available) because of the onboard graphics RAM?

CYaBro
27-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Anyone know if the 3.3-3.5gb limit is also affected by dedicated RAM on a graphics card? What I mean is if you have 3gigs of ram + 512mb of ram for the dedicated graphics card does that mean potentially you loose say 300megs of system ram (so in this case 2724megs of System RAM available) because of the onboard graphics RAM?

Pretty sure it is.
32-bit OSs can only address a total of 4GB of memory for all memory (RAM, Graphics card RAM, cache etc) in the computer.

razzarphenix
27-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm thinking it has to be counted as the graphics card RAM has to be addressable by the OS correct?

razzarphenix
27-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Pretty sure it is.
32-bit OSs can only address a total of 4GB of memory for all memory in the computer.

Thats what I thought :)

pctek
27-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Asus N50Vc Sticker4GB RAM

Belarc reports 3072MB RAM - apparently short by 1GB.

This is a new incredibly stupid thing laptop makers are doing. Stuffing 4GB in them and then installing a 32bit O/S.
You won't get the full 4GB unless you have a 64bit version of Windows. Regardless which flavour of Windows it is.

chiefnz
27-01-2009, 01:28 PM
If the graphics card has its own memory... i.e. it is not allocated from the installed RAM then it doesn't affect how much RAM the Windows OS sees. If the graphics card uses RAM as its memory source then yes it would affect how much RAM you see in the Windows OS.

So if you had 4GB of RAM and your graphics card uses say 256MB that would give you...

4096 - 256 = 3840MB

Windows will only see 3300MB so you would still "lose" about 540MB

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

The other scenario would be...

Windows only sees 3.3GB of RAM less your 256MB for the graphics card which will leave you with... approximately 3040MB of RAM.

Having said that... why in the world would you want 4GB of RAM for laptop?

SolMiester
27-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Actually, if you can get Vista Ultimate x64 media, you can you the same license key as the x86 version....MS doesnt care which code version you use...

Erayd
27-01-2009, 02:31 PM
If the graphics card has its own memory... i.e. it is not allocated from the installed RAM then it doesn't affect how much RAM the Windows OS sees. If the graphics card uses RAM as its memory source then yes it would affect how much RAM you see in the Windows OS.

So if you had 4GB of RAM and your graphics card uses say 256MB that would give you...

4096 - 256 = 3840MB

Windows will only see 3300MB so you would still "lose" about 540MB

Please correct me if I'm wrong...You're wrong sorry chief. There is a total 32bit address space of exactly 4GB. Windows uses this space to address the system main memory, the graphics memory, the bios, any mmap access to hardware, and any remapped memory holes that point to other things. The result is that 32bit windows will only see a little over 3GB of main memory (because all the other junk uses up the rest of the address space), unless you're using a pre-SP2 version of XP with the PAE boot switch.

kersonan
27-01-2009, 05:44 PM
You're wrong sorry chief. There is a total 32bit address space of exactly 4GB. Windows uses this space to address the system main memory, the graphics memory, the bios, any mmap access to hardware, and any remapped memory holes that point to other things. The result is that 32bit windows will only see a little over 3GB of main memory (because all the other junk uses up the rest of the address space), unless you're using a pre-SP2 version of XP with the PAE boot switch.

perfect answer, +1