PDA

View Full Version : Sent email timing out.

bazmeister
25-01-2009, 01:06 PM
On the rare occasion when I try to send a larger email out, they are failing and the following message of doom appears :

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: timeout (#4.4.4.) Please check the message and try again.

This is followed by another message stating that the server may be down or not responding etc. This isn't the case as a smaller message can be sent immediately.

I am running the latest version of Thunderbird thru Xtra. The video clip I am trying the send was sent to me via Xtra, and while it is a bit long it's nothing out of the ordinary.

I can't find any "timeout" type settings in Thunderbird options...any ideas.

Speedy Gonzales
25-01-2009, 01:08 PM
How big is the video??

If you've got a virus scanner, disable its option for outgoing email

bazmeister
25-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks Speedy, you live up to your name.

The attachment is 6.22MB, which is admittedly fairly big, but within limits?

I am using Avast, can you suggest where to look there to see if the problem could be as you suggest ?

Speedy Gonzales
25-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Right mouse on the a in the taskbar / on-access.

Click on the internet mail option / customise / smtp tab. Untick the option here

Safari
25-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Timeout setting in Thunderbird - go to Preferences/ Advanced/Network & Disk Space

bazmeister
25-01-2009, 01:55 PM
That brings up the Avast on action scanner...?

Under the heading of Resident Protection, I see the Internet options including SMTP. Is it your suggestion that I use the "pause" option to send the email then return it to active again.....?

Speedy Gonzales
25-01-2009, 02:06 PM
It brings up the on-access protection control settings

No like I said click on internet mail / customise / the smtp tab. Untick scan outbound email

bazmeister
25-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks folks, looks like we've got a result. Cheers.