PDA

View Full Version : Update BIOS - why would you?

Bryan
21-01-2009, 06:07 PM
If the BIOS seems perfectly good, what are the reasons and/or advantages of updating the BIOS?

Isn't the flashing of the new BIOS dangerous and what should one do to make sure it all goes well?

qazwsxokmijn
21-01-2009, 06:21 PM
If the BIOS seems perfectly good, what are the reasons and/or advantages of updating the BIOS?

Isn't the flashing of the new BIOS dangerous and what should one do to make sure it all goes well?
I've updated the BIOS on my motherboard and video card a couple of times each. No problem at all.

Generally mobo BIOS is updated to support new CPUs/other hardware and/or to fix known problems with older BIOS that the new one would fix.

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2009, 06:24 PM

Depends, quite a few updates support newer CPU's.

If you dont update the BIOS, and get a new CPU (that the current BIOS doesnt support), the system wont boot till you update it

The previous system that I had, you HAD to update the BIOS, because the previous BIOS broke the LAN (if you didnt update, you wouldnt be able to get onto the net).

And another update for the same mobo (since the video was onboard, the update fixed the issue (you couldnt change the video memory to anything higher than 128 mb). If you didn't, it kept on resetting the BIOS to its default settings

Well it can be dangerous, if you flash the BIOS in windows (altho the mobo makers make programs for windows, why I dont know). If it freezes you'll probably kill the BIOS

Altho this depends on WHAT mobo you get.

Some mobos like the ASUS ones support crashfree BIOS 1,2 and 3. Altho, by the looks of it, this isnt always reliable and may not work.

BUT most of the more recent mobos support booting / updating with a USB flash drive (good for people who dont use floppies like myself).

BUT, IMO, if you do flash a BIOS, update it through DOS, with a floppy, or a USB flash drive (thats if it supports it)

Also, take NOTE of what the mobo site says. With some ASUS boards, it'll specifically tell you NOT to use EZ-flash if the onboard BIOS version is a certain version. Or you could also kill the BIOS, if youre not careful

kersonan
21-01-2009, 06:48 PM
I normally only BIOS flash if I need CPU support, or theres a known issue with the BIOS the board shipped with. Most of the time there's no real need.

qazwsxokmijn
21-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Never update it through Windows. Heard too many fail stories to risk it.

pctek
21-01-2009, 09:22 PM
If the BIOS seems perfectly good, what are the reasons of updating the BIOS?

Isn't the flashing of the new BIOS dangerous

Rule one:

Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

But if you need to for whatever reasons specified above by various others, then its not that dangerous.

Most decent brand boards have a BIOS backup feature in case of sudden power loss during the update, which is unlikely anyway.

razzarphenix
21-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Rule one:

Most decent brand boards have a BIOS backup feature in case of sudden power loss during the update, which is unlikely anyway.

Yes been a few years since I've had to boot a board with a working bios and "hotswap" the bios chip so you could flash the faulty/corrupt bios memory.