PDA

View Full Version : Quad core CPUs performance difference?

braindead
21-01-2009, 04:05 PM
I do mostly video and audio editing and wondered if would I get more bang for the buck with the Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz version instead of the Intel Core 2 Quad 2.33 GHz. Is there much difference?

Nomad
21-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi, I got the Q8200 2.33 Quad put together just last night when the RAM arrived :D

I use it for photography RAW files and just briefly with Adobe Lightroom which requires more juice than Photoshop CS2 but not sure with CS3 or CS4.

I am dealing with sizes of say 5MB and with editing that may be around 25MB, also it may need more ie .. editing more than one image and previewing all those thumbnails too with editing previews.

Personally with the limited experience I thought it should of been faster. I have noticed that photographers with high end or avg systems (i7 8 cores to the dual cores) is that they tend to use faster HDDs - 10,000rpms or a RAID 0 (2 drives). I think that multiple core is good for graphics because these softwares tend to support them, as do 64bit software with windows in 64bit.

Basically I think up the RAM, I have 4GB.
I think, the bottleneck is maybe the HDDs. Western Digital Raptors or the newer Velicioraptors or something like that. Runs on usual SATA. In future this is something I gonna think about. Have 1 or 2 small HDD of these and 1 or 2 big cheaper std SATA for data.

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2009, 05:05 PM
You wont really notice anything, unless the program you use supports either dual or quad core

memphis
21-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Have a look at benchmarks between them and see if it is much of a difference for you and decide on that.-(use Google).

Also the amount of ram and the speed of the ram will make a difference.

And the speed and the amount of cache of your harddrives as well.

And how good the motherboard is as well.

Nomad
21-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Check reviews out like tomshardware.com

I think if RAM is not limiting, my one just put together has 2.8GB free. I think maybe it's the HDD, what I find limiting in my current setup is that it takes a second or two before it kicks in, and when it does it's onto it. Could be that I havn't set up my 2nd HDD yet .. so the software is on 1st partition and pictures on the 2nd. I may update again in the w'end.

I tend to feel, latency in mine than a stressed out computer.

But yeah I have read that software that not support multi cores like a older version of Photoshop a cheaper higher Ghz dual core was quicker than a more expensive, slower Ghz Quad Core.

sroby
22-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Here you go , this may help

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-q3-2008/Premiere-Pro-CS3-HDTV,833.html