PDA

View Full Version : Cant LAN-play The Conquerors, and losing static IP on reboot

Chilling_Silence
20-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Hi all,

So it turns out that my PC is losing its static IP on reboot and I have no freaking idea why!
Ive gone and removed all the excess junk I could possibly see (Just a few apps, nothing that struck me as a culprit with the exception of a backup app I was trying). Still no joy.

Also something that appears to have happened around the same time (Not too sure - I rarely reboot) is I lost my ability to host games.
At first it was DotA that I couldnt host, then I could host it but people were dropped after 2 mins of gameplay.
Also, I now cant host / join any LAN game of The Conquerors (Old game I know but still...), yet it works fine on all other XP / Vista machines around the house.

Apparently now I CAN host LAN games of DotA (Fixed itself?) but Conquerors is still buggered.

Any ideas what may be causing it?
Ive run CCleaner & Winsock Fix, have Avast AntiVirus. Downloading SUPER AntiSpyware now.

Cheers

Chill.

Chilling_Silence
21-01-2009, 12:30 AM
SUPER just shows a few cookies, nothing special .. :-/

MushHead
21-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Have you tried to monitor the Registry activity in the area of your network settings? SysInternals' Process Monitor is supposed to be able to log at boot time - you should be able to set it up to watch changes to

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Param eters\Interfaces\{GUID goes here}

where the correct GUID can be found by using Regedit to take a quick look at the available ones & finding one with your IP address listed as the IPAddress or DhcpIPAddress.

BTW - I agree with your point about Conquerors - definitely an oldie but a goodie - I have a related question: are (OK, were) you playing LAN games between Vista & XP? I've never had any joy doing that. What's your secret?

I have one each of Win2k, XP & Vista machines in the house but have never been able to get the Vista machine to join in on the act. My latest attempt was to install Win2k via VirtualBox, but still no joy - there seems to be something about the Vista networking that doesn't compute. Bear in mind I have killed all firewalls, etc - there just seems to be some traffic that doesn't get through.

SolMiester
21-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Do you have another PCI NIC you could try.....?, I suspect hardware issues....

Chilling_Silence
21-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Yup, no issues with a mix of XP / Vista all playing it :)
Im tempted to install XP inside VirtualPC and see if I can play it within there :P

Ive got a PCI gigabit card which is set to use DHCP (So if I take my box to a LAN its ready to go - no need for gigabit at home), so I might try use that one and see how I go

Chilling_Silence
22-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Am running off the PCI Lan adapter now, still cant host / join in Conquerors regardless of IP being static or DHCP :(

Chilling_Silence
22-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Screenshots attached.

It even fails when running inside a Virtual Machine on this box :-/

I even load up dxdiag, hit the Network Tab, click Test DirectPlay and can establish a chat session just fine that way - No worries!

Really quite stumped :(

Chilling_Silence
26-01-2009, 09:15 PM
OK, so, narrowing things down here:
1) I reformatted, clean XP install, no joy :( Still the same error
2) I grabbed my fiances laptop and plugged it in to the LAN port on the Wireless AP (Turned off WiFi), suddenly things began to work!
3) I grabbed a spare Asus WL-520GU and put Tomato firmware on it. Configured the Wireless and connected the LAN port on the new Tomato Router to the LAN on the other DD-WRT AP, and the games still work :)

My theory:
DD-WRT was buggering up Age of Conquerors when going from LAN <-> Wireless, even though Wireless <-> Wireless or LAN <-> LAN was working just fine :)

Not sure what to put in a bug report .. or why its *only* Age of Conquerors thats affected ..?