PDA

View Full Version : Printing on envelopes

nickhillnz
20-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Can anyone recommend the best printer for printing addresses onto envelopes. Im looking for a printer that is cheap, fast, doesnt jam and has a big tray for envelopes as I have a serious number to print.
Have had good results from inkjets as opposed to laser but Im interested in hearing what people have to say on this..
Thanks!

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Any printer should print them. Well every printer I've owed has and did

Ofthesea
20-01-2009, 11:02 AM
For truly cheap and fast focus on B/W Laser printers

wratterus
20-01-2009, 11:09 AM
x2.

All mono laser, all under $150.

Samsung ML-1640.

Samsung ML-2010.

Canon Canon LBP-3100B.

nickhillnz
20-01-2009, 04:26 PM
thanks for your suggestions wratterus - Samsung ML-2010 looks ideal.
Q: have you actually used this printer for printing on large numbers of envelopes?
Im just asking as my research on the internet shows that whilst many printers claim to be able to print on envelopes few do it effectively without jamming up all of the time..

Digby
21-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Try to find one with a straight paper path.

If the envelope has to come out of the tray and round some rollers and come out the other way up, there is much more chance of jamming long term. I used to sell photo copiers and this is known in the trade as a "straight paper path".

But it usually means a dearer machine as it has to be a bit bigger ?

My Brother HL 2040 has a round paper path.

What about using labels, and then putting them on to the envelopes. That is what most people do.

wratterus
21-01-2009, 07:36 AM
thanks for your suggestions wratterus - Samsung ML-2010 looks ideal.
Q: have you actually used this printer for printing on large numbers of envelopes?
Im just asking as my research on the internet shows that whilst many printers claim to be able to print on envelopes few do it effectively without jamming up all of the time..

That is a good question - my parents have one (birthday pressie from yours truly). :D

I know they use it for printing envelopes and apparently its great, but I don't know what volume they've been doing. Will find out for you.

Jeff
21-01-2009, 09:46 AM
From my experience as a copier tech, make sure you use the right envelopes and/or labels.

Your stationary supplier should know which ones to use.

Using the wrong envelopes you can get creasing or glue/gum on rollers in your printer (which can cause jams and a big bill). With labels do a whole sheet at once.

nickhillnz
21-01-2009, 04:02 PM
printing labels is no problem - however no good if you need to print other stuff on the envelope (such as the NZ post mail permit, my logo, return address etc)

I looked at printers from pitney bowes but at $14k for a simple inkjet with a large envelope feeder it is a bit expensive(!)

Bantu
21-01-2009, 08:04 PM
I print about 80-90 per month for one client. All printed to either my Epson R800 or my Epson R1900. I use Croxley E13 Self Seal White which I buy in packs of 500 from Warehouse stationary.

I just have to keep feeding the stack at about 10 at a time and rarely have any jamb ups.

Paul.Cov
27-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Another issue: Inkjet print *might* run and smudge if it gets wet... which can easily happen between the time you post it and the time it gets into the recipients letterbox.

While it probably won't run to the point that it becomes illegible (and undeliverable), it will oook a tad unprofessional.

On the other hand though, laser printers are %#&^*@'s for getting fouled up by the slightest bit of envelope gum / sealant on the drums, and I fully endorse the recommendation earlier for a straight paper path, otherwise the envelopes will come out with twists and wrinkles.

Labels are a bit more work, in that you have to peel and stick them on, which in turn increases the likelihood of them being muddled up and out of order with the actual letters meant to be going into them, so if you don't watch out Mrs Jones gets the invoice for Mr Cook.

www.picosys.co.nz for a fantastic range of affordable labels, if this is the way you wish to tackle it.

An inkjet might smudge on the envelope unless you remember to set the thickness lever to the 'fat' setting.

The other worry, is that if your printer / system is fouling envelopes, it can get costly if you're having to toss out a heap of pre-paid envelopes that got mucked up. NZ Post comes out the only winner in that situation.

Personally, I think the safest option is window envelopes (although they aren't so enviro friendly if made with plastic), and the addressing printed on the letter that goes inside. The only way to make a foul-up is to seal the letter in upside down where the address can't be seen. The envelopes wouldn't have to go through the printer at all.

Last word of warning - a laser printers fuser will melt the plastic window if you run window envelopes through (yeah, d'oh! I've done it!)