PDA

View Full Version : DOS CD-ROM driver

Mike
20-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to boot my PC into DOS using a DOS boot CD. I boot fine into DOS, but it won't accept any CD-ROM drivers I throw at it to give me access to the files I've stored on the CD (so all I have access to is the emulated floppy disk I booted from off the CD)

I've tried 6 different drivers and 3 different CD or DVD drives, and all the drivers report something like "no drives found".

I've changed the IDE cable and changed drive detection settings (Auto/CDROM) in the bios, but still the same result. Doesn't make sense to me. Other than this issue I have had no problems running DVD or CD drives on this computer, and it boots off the cd fine.

Any ideas what I might be missing, or something else I can try?

I've tried a bunch of generic drivers (oakcdrom.sys in the past has always worked on other machines, so I've tried that several times)

Thanks,
Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Get one of the boot files from Bootdisk (www.bootdisk.com)

Unzip it then burn it to cd. If you want to put anything on it, add them before you burn one of the above files to the cd

WHAT are you trying to do??

What are you using to emulate the floppy?

I did the same thing with Winimage last night (I dont use floppies either).

All I did was get a bootdisk file from the above site. Unzipped it , added the files in it to Winimage, and saved it as a floppy image.

Then readded the image to make the virtual floppy

Then used poweriso and added that image to make a bootable cd

Then added the files I needed to the cd, then burned it

If you still cant get it to work, let me know. And I'll make up an iso for you with whatever on it.. All you have to do is, use a burning program to burn it

Is that all you want? A cd that can boot into DOS, with cd drivers on it?

Mike
20-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi Speedy, thanks for your reply.

I've booted to DOS no problem, get the little A: prompt and can run commands from there. What I can't do is access the files on the CD proper, as I can't get one of the DOS cd drivers to load.

I've got in my config.sys file:

device = cdrom.sys /D:MSCD001
and in my autoexec.bat file:

mscdex.exe /D:MSCD001 /L:D

All this works as expected on one PC, but not on the one I want to use it on. I can boot from the floppy, but the CD drivers are not loading "no drives found" so can't get to the files on the CD.

I have tried some of the "universal" DOS CDROM drivers I've found on the net, including the one that's always worked for me (oakcdrom.sys) but none of them work on this PC.

The boot disk was created from a DOS 6.22 boot disk, and I've just added to it. It boots fine, just no cdrom support.

Methinks its something on the PC itself I need to set, just don't know what :)

Cheers,
Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2009, 09:51 AM
True, if it works on one, it should work on the other

I would try one of the bootdisk files from bootdisk.com

Bantu
20-01-2009, 10:20 AM
What is it you need to do once being able to access the CD-ROM?
What type of CD-Rom Drive?

If your HDD and CD-Rom are IDE set HDD to Master and CD-Rom to Slave with the jumpers on each item.
In BIOS they should auto detect depending on how old the Computer is.

I have a good boot disk here I can rar up if you need it, it just requires WinImage to create a Floppy Disk from it.

This Image is created from an old Win98 install with good cd-rom drivers and a few other utilities on it.

Mike
20-01-2009, 10:32 AM
OK I've tried a bootdisk.com image, with the same result. Boots fine, but get errors when loading cdrom driver in config.sys "no drives found" or similar.

I don't think the booting side of things is the problem. My problem is my dos cdrom drivers aren't seeing my cdrom drive. They work no problems at all on my other PC.

My HDD is Primary master, the CDROM is Secondary master. Both autodetect fine (doesn't matter which of the CDROM drives I've tried, they're all autodetecting fine, they're just not being seen by the cdrom driver in config.sys)

I've tried now a number of different boot disks from a number of sources (including some that I've made) and all have the same result. They boot fine but can't see any drives to load the cdrom drivers for.

The cdrom drivers I've tried are 2x oakcdrom drivers (different ones, but usually oakcdrom.sys works), mitsumi driver and a liteon driver (I think the last one was liteon). Usually either a oakcdrom or mitsumi work. I don't think its a driver problem or a drive problem - I think its a setting in my bios or somewhere that I need to set, I just can't figure out what it is.

Cheers,
Mike.

jwil1
20-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Try a Windows 98 Boot floppy.... boot from it, then copy and files you need from the CD to the HD - done.

Use something like physdiskwrite.exe to have a USB flash drive emulate a floppy if this pc doesn't have one.

CYaBro
20-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Have you tried swapping the CD-ROM drive from the machine that the DOS drivers do work on?

Also, if you have access to a Win98SE CD you can boot off that and it gives an option to boot to DOS with CD-ROM support.
It has a few different drivers it will load and hopefully one of them will work.