PDA

View Full Version : Transfering data from Windows 98 to XP

dallas
20-01-2009, 09:25 AM
I have an old computer with Windows 98 second edition.
How do I transfer data from this computer to another with Windows XP using an ethernet cable?

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2009, 09:29 AM
You cant copy programs that have already been installed.

If this is what you want to do. It wont work. You'll have to reinstall them on XP

You can copy documents / install files tho

If theyre connected by ethernet now. Enable file sharing, then create a folder on both and share it

Then either make a shortcut to that folder, then copy whatever across.

Or open both of the shared folders, and copy and paste between the 2

pcuser42
20-01-2009, 09:43 AM
You could use XP's Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, and that will also transfer settings.

Renmoo
20-01-2009, 02:43 PM
From the sound of your post, it seems that you only have an ethernet cable and nothing else. You can try a crossover networking to transfer the files from the 98SE to the XP computer.

Please refer to my signature for more details.

Cheers :)

pctek
20-01-2009, 02:48 PM
I'd take the hard drive out and connect it to the new one.
Transfer your stuff directly, way easier and less hassle.

Bantu
20-01-2009, 05:03 PM
x2 for pctek's method.

ronyville
20-01-2009, 05:15 PM
x2 for pctek's method.

Depends on how much he knows about computers and if he has ever taken a HDD out before. File sharing would be an easy way to go or if you only have small files than you could use a flash drive to move the data across but windows 98 might need the drivers for that.

Nomad
21-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Yep, if you take the HDD out and pop in other and copy that would be much faster. Last night I copied something network took, well it said 70 mins, by reattaching it via the motherboard it was 15mins.

** In my experience copying a win98 to a winxp is easier. Ie., the winxp windows is using it's own hdd. I found that if you take the windows xp hdd and attach it to a foreign computer going via my documents you may be denied access even when you login has admin rights. I dealt with this by copying those files outside of documents and settings folder ie .. makea folder like backup on C: alone or onto D:. There might be a workaround tho but I dunno.

Other:
Yes, network cable, sometimes it might not work and need a router in my experience.
You can use USB as well, and probably serial or parallel cale too but slower.
You can use DVD writers, memory cards with USB readers, flash drives, floppy disk etc.

You can backup files, but not programs, they need to be reinstalled.

Nomad
21-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Network just use a crossover cable or a router in between, both computer share a drive for eg and make sure you have the right network protocols installed .. .right click my network places and hit properties. I think you need to add ipx/spx protocol, if I had just file sharing for ms networks that didn't work.

robinp
18-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Hi,
I also have a similar problem. I only need to transfer "My Documents" from my old IBM ThinkPad laptop with Windows 98 to my new laptop with XP. I bought a USB flash drive thinking this would do the job. However, after going into My Computer, Microsoft tells me that it can't locate a "driver". My old laptop only has a floppy disk drive & has never been connected to the internet, so I can't download anything on to it. I then noticed on the flash drive packet that it was for Windows 2000 up. Can I buy one that will take care of Windows 98 without needing a "driver". If not, what do I do about remedying this problem. I am pretty naive on these things so please forgive my ignorance. However, I have read on a search about connecting a "null modem serial cable" between the 2 laptops, is this what I need to do the job? Any advice will be most appreciated.
Thanks.
robinp

pctek
18-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Take the drive out.

Thomas01
18-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Take the drive out.

When I have done any upgrades the last decade I have used the old hard drive as a second (backup) drive on the new computer.
The result is now my backup hard drive has heaps of room on it.
It does make me feel happier about my first line of backups as they are done automatically every morning at 11:00am.
I do have the work done by a pretty good technician - not me.
And of course I am talking desktops - not laptops.

A method not mentioned so far by anybody is to drop all the files down onto a 3.5 floppy. Ha yes but then the modern computer does not have a floppy drive.
But some laggards still have them (I'm one of them) and as they will also have a CD or DVD writer can transfer the files over for you.

zqwerty
18-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Burn everything that you intend to transfer to DVD or CD then put the disk/s into the other computer and transfer them where you wish, the advantage being that you will also have hard back up of the folders/files/.exe's.