PDA

View Full Version : Modem Line To Record Phone?

SurferJoe46
19-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Can I use my telephone modem line - the one that XP-Pro uses for a FAX machine - as a telephone recorder?

What I want to do is record telephone conversations via my Audacity program.

I know I can get "LINE-IN" or any of a series of inputs through my Audacity & Sound Card options, but I want to be able to get the telephone recordings into the puter in real-time.

Since I am also on DSL, I can use the FAX/Voice Modem at the same time and still be on line, so this should be do-able - right?

BTW: It's legal here in California to do so if the caller says something along the line to the following: "We may save this conversation for quality control options and training later". That means they are recording and therefor by extension - so can you without any warning.

Sweep
19-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Can I use my telephone modem line - the one that XP-Pro uses for a FAX machine - as a telephone recorder?

What I want to do is record telephone conversations via my Audacity program.

I know I can get "LINE-IN" or any of a series of inputs through my Audacity & Sound Card options, but I want to be able to get the telephone recordings into the puter in real-time.

Since I am also on DSL, I can use the FAX/Voice Modem at the same time and still be on line, so this should be do-able - right?

BTW: It's legal here in California to do so if the caller says something along the line to the following: "We may save this conversation for quality control options and training later". That means they are recording and therefor by extension - so can you without any warning.

Another post that is confusing.
I am not up with the law in California but I would think that the caller may not save the conversation or may as the case maybe.

As you are on DSL you can use a fax modem or phone whilst using the Internet.

SurferJoe46
19-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Another post that is confusing.
I am not up with the law in California but I would think that the caller may not save the conversation or may as the case maybe.

As you are on DSL you can use a fax modem or phone whilst using the Internet.

Yeah. Any time the caller says that they MIGHT record the call for quality-control purposes, you can - by law - assume that you have the right to record anything that transpires from that point. The boilerplate law is that if THEY record you, then you are automatically licensed to record them without telling them.

That being so, I want to use my Audacity prgm to save the call on my hdd while I can still talk on a different phone at the same time.

I said that I have DSL as it does not interfere with using the phone or FAX at the same time.

jermsie
19-01-2009, 08:54 PM
I tried it a few times when I had dial-up. Used the line-in on my old mp3 player to record to mp3. Fiddly and well... I had no use for recorded calls lol.

wainuitech
19-01-2009, 09:51 PM
I got that function on the Old XP machine I just retired - I'll check tomorrow on the program - but it works a treat.

As they say " Stay Tuned"

Renmoo
19-01-2009, 10:00 PM
This seems like something that you are looking for, Joe?

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,7443-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html

wainuitech
20-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Ok Joe - found it - the program is not free - but it does work beautifully - all you do is connect your incoming phone line from the wall to the line plug on the 56K modem, the Phone into the Phone on the Modem, and when a call comes in you want to record, simply with the program open hit record - it records the complete conversation what you say and what they say, when finished click stop - couldn't be easier - Its called Ez Phone Recorder (http://www.ezphonerecorder.ezsofttek.com/). 15 day trial.

I tried several others including Audacity - but it was to much mucking about and to unreliable.
I used it because I had troubles with several people saying - you / that was never said at all.

When I record a conversation - I advice the person it is being recorded -- then carry on.

Got a good story about 1 particular call I recorded. :eek:

johcar
20-01-2009, 12:55 PM
<snip> Got a good story about 1 particular call I recorded. :eek:

OK. Spill.

wainuitech
20-01-2009, 02:30 PM
OK. Spill. :lol: Okay

Had this guy about 2 years ago -The persons boss advised to give an invoice to (lets call him Jim) and it would be paid right away, I posted in the Invoice the next day - He wouldn't pay the bill, saying I never actually gave them an invoice - Err only 4 times since he first started playing silly buggers.
Every time I had to call them this guy ( only 3 times ) always made up some excuse, the boss wasn't there and couldn't be reached to sign the cheque - the money had been sent etc.

Well I had had enough after about 5 months - I Had that phone recorder on - I rang back and had the recorder running - I told him I was recording the conversation so there was no question as to what was said and agreed to-

Welllll his reply - I dont give a F**** if you are F****ing recording this Crap or not - as far as I'm concerned you can stick the F***** recording up your A**** ( you get the idea) well after about 5 minutes of abuse, I said maybe I should come in and see your boss directly, Well the abuse started again - finally after about 10 minutes he said he would post out the cheque that day ( it was for around $1700) - then goes no F**** it I'll put it in directly into your account when you send the invoice --- I told him go to his computer and I would resend it AGAIN NOW while he was on the phone - he said it had arrived.

You guessed it 2 weeks later still no $$$ So I went into the business - CD in hand with the recording - His boss was very polite and asked why They had not received the invoice ( me) >> :mad: I explained I had talked several times to jim, and got all the excuses under the sun.

I handed him the voice recording - and said - here play this - so he did -- The poor guy almost had a heart attack. When it finished playing he was gob smacked - said wait here - he went out back and gave me $2000 cash - and said keep the rest and couldn't apologize enough.

When I left - he asked me if he could have the recording - no worries - next thing I know he was off looking for Jim --- I was told about a week later Jim Left on his own free will --- Hmmmmmmm:rolleyes: You think??

johcar
20-01-2009, 02:46 PM
ROTFLMAO!!! Classic!!

Poor Jim, not!

wainuitech
20-01-2009, 03:01 PM
When I was called back to that place to do some more work / upgrades - I found out that some other people had also not been paid and the Boss was told there had been no invoices from the persons concerned.

I think the voice recording may have sparked off a " Whats going on - please explain" - never did find out fully - not my business, but I dont think its to hard to figure out something "fishy" was happening.

SurferJoe46
20-01-2009, 03:52 PM
This seems like something that you are looking for, Joe?

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,7443-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html

Got it and it works great!

THANKS!