PDA

View Full Version : winantivirus

Driftwood
18-01-2009, 03:00 PM
This problem seems to pop up on here occationally.
I have delt with several versions of it in the last year or so.
I have had a look at the program & it seems very well put together.
Have I missed something or is there a genuine program with the same name that they have pinched the shell from or has it been made up from scratch.
I see you can even download a version of it from Brothersoft.

Speedy Gonzales
18-01-2009, 03:08 PM
If youre talking about Winantivirus 2006-2009, its fake, doesn't matter what version it is.

Its meant to look good, to make people think its real. And its meant to scare people, when it tells them they've vulnerable to attacks, spyware etc

So they have to pay to fix the probs, that dont exist

Driftwood
18-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Yes that's the one.
If it's been around that long, why havent the writers been caught & delt to if it's a fake.

Speedy Gonzales
18-01-2009, 03:32 PM
According to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winantivirus)

They were caught,and told to stop, but still do it, and are being fined $8000 a day for it

Down the bottom

Federal Trade Commission

On December 2, 2008, the Federal Trade Commission requested and received a temporary restraining order against Innovative Marketing, Inc., ByteHosting Internet Services, LLC, and individuals Daniel Sundin, Sam Jain, Marc D’Souza, Kristy Ross, and James Reno, the creators of WinFixer and its sister products.

The complaint alleges that the products' advertising, as well as the products themselves, violate United States consumer protection laws.

As of December 2008, this motion has attempted to halt the companies operations, and so halt the distribution of WinFixer and similar products offered by the same companies. However Innovative Marketing has flouted the court order and is currently being fined $8000 per day in civil contempt.

gary67
18-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Removal instructions are here (http://www.spywareremove.com/removeAntivirus2008.html)

Driftwood
18-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Hate to think what their daily takings are then.

Driftwood
18-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Ahh, thanks gary but have you got any instructions on how to remove the creators.

gary67
18-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Shotgun perhaps, what about firing them from a cannon? Wish i did and all the other virus writers as well then we could get the true potential from our comps instead of having to have anti virus and anti malware programs running and slowing them down