PDA

View Full Version : Partition editor problems

samnorr
17-01-2009, 05:31 PM
I am going to install the Windows 7 beta (to dual boot with XP), but I am having some problems creating another hard drive partition.

I first tried using the GParted boot CD, but it keeps saying that my drive "has at least 2 bad sectors", and will not resize the partition.

I then downloaded EASUES Partition Manager and used that (in XP) to resize the current partition and create a new one in the unallocated space. When I click on "apply" I get a message saying a reboot is required, so I accept and the computer restarts. The EASUES boot screen comes up and I then get an error message saying "Failed to quarantine system partition" (Message 4101) and I have to reboot. I have tried this many times, (including one where I quit all the other programs first, as was suggested on the EASUES website) with the same result.

Can someone please help? :confused:

Blam
17-01-2009, 05:37 PM
try running chkdsk

Blam
17-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Also, have you tried the inbuillt XP partitoner?

Run>diskmgmt.msc

johnd
17-01-2009, 08:00 PM

Run>diskmgmt.msc

Quote from original post - "and will not resize the partition". XP Disk Management will not resize.

Greven
17-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Download seatools & check your hard drive. If it has bad sectors, replace it.

Sweep
17-01-2009, 10:14 PM

Run>diskmgmt.msc

No worries there. Just so long as no data needs to be kept on hidden partitions etc for people that do not have a CD or DVD for the operating system(s) they are using.

But you know all this anyway maybe.

Misty
18-01-2009, 10:49 AM
I do a defrag first before I resize. Also as others have suggested running chkdsk seems a good idea in your situation.
Misty :2cents:

Blam
18-01-2009, 12:24 PM
You can try this:

http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/pdrxsuite_download_home.cfm

I've had successes with it before like when there's 20gb of free space and the maxiumum size partition that can be made is 12gb, might help:thumbs:

Greven
18-01-2009, 01:28 PM
If your partitioning software is telling you there is a problem with your hard drive, it is not a good idea to ignore it.

samnorr
18-01-2009, 02:09 PM
I have ran "chkdsk /f /r" on the recovery console at least three times now, and every time it tells me it has "found and fixed one or more errors on the drive", but doesn't fix any of the problems.

And at the moment I seem to have lots of problems. I used msconfig yesterday to set the startup mode to diagnostic (in an attempt to get EASEUS to work), but after setting it back, it seems to have somehow screwed a lot of things up. I now cannot get the Avast resident protection scanners to work, Zonealarm's tray icon has vanished and it's main window will not open, and the internet has suddenly stopped working in Windows (it still works fine in Ubuntu, which I am running from the live CD and using to write this). And even more bizarre, all my restore points - including the ones that I had just made the other day - have vanished.

Seriously, if I didn't know better I would say that XP is intentionally trying to stop me from installing Windows 7. If I could just make a new partition I could install another OS and see if it's really my hard drive thats the problem, or Windows XP. Can anyone come up with any more suggestions (perhaps recommend another free partition editor)?

Speedy Gonzales
18-01-2009, 02:26 PM
It'd probably work, if you do a clean install, partition the hdd during the setup / install, install XP then install Win 7

Just remember to make both partitions big enough

And if that doesnt work, you probably need another hdd

samnorr
19-01-2009, 11:17 AM
It'd probably work, if you do a clean install, partition the hdd during the setup / install, install XP then install Win 7

Just remember to make both partitions big enough

And if that doesnt work, you probably need another hdd

Yeah, either of those probably would work, and would most likely fix all the problems that I am experiencing. The downside, of course, it that I would lose all of my settings, bookmarks, iTunes library, installed programs, etc. I would rather avoid that if I can.

If no one knows how to fix my partition manager problems, can someone perhaps recommend another program to try, besides GParted and EASEUS?

Greven
19-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Gparted will work fine if you get a drive that isn't faulty & clone your current drive to it. Windows is probably crashing because it is trying to write to the bad sector.

Do any of the drive manufacturers still have their own bootable CD for partitioning drives? That is the only free possibility I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned.

samnorr
19-01-2009, 11:12 PM
I have just downloaded and ran Seatools in Windows - my drive failed the Short DST test, but passed the Short Generic. I then tried the DOS bootable disk, and the drive will pass the short test the first time, but then fail it on any subsequent tries (unless I reboot and restart the program). I have not yet tried any Long tests (in DOS or Windows) as the help file tells me they could take hours.

Does anyone know what this means? Is there a physical problem with the hard drive? My drive is Western Digital by the way, so perhaps Seatools can't work with it properly?

I just defragmented with Defraggler last night, which has seemed to have improved the drive performance and start-up speed slightly, but I still have no luck getting GParted or EASEUS to work.

Speedy Gonzales
19-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Can you use a seagate program on a WD hdd??

Or are you meant to?

Probably be better, if u use a WD diag program

If that fails, you probably have no choice, BUT to buy a new hdd. Then you'll have to do a clean install

samnorr
20-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Can you use a seagate program on a WD hdd??

Or are you meant to?

Probably be better, if u use a WD diag program

If that fails, you probably have no choice, BUT to buy a new hdd. Then you'll have to do a clean install

Is there a WD diagnostic program? And can I use Seatools for my drive?

Why are you asking me these questions? You're supposed to be the expert here...

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Not in hdd diag programs. I dont use them, or havent yet

gary67
20-01-2009, 06:43 PM
I have WD testing on my UBCD so it's out there somewhere not sure if it's available on it's own but just off to google it. One here (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/Western-Digital-Data-Lifeguard.shtml)

Greven
20-01-2009, 07:15 PM
You can use seatools on any drive. The short test tests random parts of the drive - that is why it sometimes passes & sometimes fails.

samnorr
20-01-2009, 10:23 PM
You can use seatools on any drive. The short test tests random parts of the drive - that is why it sometimes passes & sometimes fails.

So some random parts of my drive have failed?

gary67
21-01-2009, 05:38 AM
It would appear to be so

samnorr
22-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Hi everyone - good news! I have finally managed to create a new partition and install the Windows 7 beta, and everything is working well so far.

After being unsuccessful with heaps of different partition managers - including EASEUS Partition Manager, Paragon Partition Manager, Partition Logic, GParted, and QParted - I stumbled across this (http://crashrecovery.org/CrashRecoveryKit/iso/2.4.21/HOWTO.ntfs.html) tutorial, and as a last resort, I decided to give it a go (using the Ubuntu live CD). Despite being worried that I would type some command wrong and lose all my data, I followed through with it, using both the ntfsresize (I added the -b Bad Sectors option for ntfsresize) and fdisk commands, and to my pleasant surprise, I then had unallocated space on my disk.

I then used Gparted to create a new partition, and voilą, it actually worked! I have just installed Windows 7 on to the new partition last night, and it has been running great so far. XP is also working fine on the old partition.

Thank you very much to everyone who has offered me advice - even though I did still have to solve the problem on my own.

I guess there are some things you just gotta do yourself. :)

wainuitech
22-01-2009, 04:13 PM
bit late now but you could have used HDD Regenerator (http://store5.esellerate.net/store/ProductInfo.aspx?StoreIDC=STR793615240&SkuIDC=SKU9923428806&pc=) to sort out the bad Sectors - the free version does 1 sector at a time / per run.

I guess there are some things you just gotta do yourself :thumbs: Thats called life -- as long as you learnt something.

samnorr
22-01-2009, 09:59 PM
bit late now but you could have used HDD Regenerator (http://store5.esellerate.net/store/ProductInfo.aspx?StoreIDC=STR793615240&SkuIDC=SKU9923428806&pc=) to sort out the bad Sectors - the free version does 1 sector at a time / per run.

Thanks for the info, I will give it a try anyway. :thumbs: