PDA

View Full Version : My new D drive is acting strangely

Digby
15-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi Guys

I recently installed a new D drive in my PC using XP.

I use it for storing files.

It is a 1 Terabyte Seagate.

When I try to copy files from my D drive to my C drive the copying dialogue goes half way, then it seems to stall and the file never finishes copying. So I have to crash out and reboot and the file name is there on the C drive but the data is not !

Yet I can copy from C: to D: with no probs.

Now I am trying to copy some files from my D drive to another PC on my network and a dialog pops up saying Access is denied. But I have shared the folders and it used to work fine with my previous D: drive a 500 meg Seagate.

Any thoughts ?

pctek
15-01-2009, 11:33 AM
What files? Really big ones? Whats it formatted in - FAt 32 or NTFS?

Digby
15-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks Pctek.

I have 2 physical hard drives in each machine and all 4 are Seagate and all are NTFS.

The files I am trying to copy from my D drive (1TB) to my C drive are large (video files)

The files I am trying to copy across the network are lots of small data files.

So I really have 2 problems. Which have only occurred since I installed my new larger D drive (1TB).

Blam
15-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Tried teracopy?

Install it and try copy it again

Agent_24
15-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Something weird with the BIOS or its settings perhaps? Maybe you need an update...

Digby
15-01-2009, 01:24 PM
What about Command Queuing ? in the Sata device manager ?

SolMiester
15-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Hi Guys

I recently installed a new D drive in my PC using XP.

I use it for storing files.

It is a 1 Terabyte Seagate.

When I try to copy files from my D drive to my C drive the copying dialogue goes half way, then it seems to stall and the file never finishes copying. So I have to crash out and reboot and the file name is there on the C drive but the data is not !

Yet I can copy from C: to D: with no probs.

Now I am trying to copy some files from my D drive to another PC on my network and a dialog pops up saying Access is denied. But I have shared the folders and it used to work fine with my previous D: drive a 500 meg Seagate.

Any thoughts ?

Sounds to me the C: is failing as you can write to d:, but not c:

Agent_24
15-01-2009, 01:35 PM
NCQ should disable if the drive or controller don't support it... but then I guess it's possible for that to fail if something is sufficiently incompatible (like the reason why you need to limit some SATA 3Gb/s drives to 1.5Gb/s for the controller to recognise them) perhaps resulting in a situation where one device is attempting to force the other to use NCQ - could end up in something like what you're describing.

Of course, all of that is just intense speculation, probably something simple like a faulty cable or something