PDA

View Full Version : Is there a difference in quality of blank CDs; Whats the best $2-$3 CD-R

09-06-2001, 11:14 AM
Friends have said that they have had CD writing fail; they have blamed it on the CD and not used that brand again.

Could the quality of the CD Writer make a difference?
I have a HP 9140i and have burned about 10 CDs of different brands with 100% success rate so far.

Is there a big difference in quality of blank CDs? If so what are the best CD-Rs from $2-$3?
What are the best $5-$8 CD-RWs.

09-06-2001, 12:24 PM
Hello Lloyd

The different colours represent the quality, with Gold normally being the best then Blue or Green and Silver or Platinum the lowest, that does not mean to say that you will achieve better results with a Gold CDR over a Silver.
My advice to any new owner of a Cd Writer is to try a few different brands and when you find a brand that works well in your writer, stick with it.
A lot of the CD Writers around seem to be very media specific and media that works well in one writer will not work no where near as good in another.
To prove this point look at any discussion group talking about CDR media and you will see just about every brand you can think of, rated from 1 - 10 by different people.

Alan

09-06-2001, 03:04 PM
Thanks for your advice Allan, that should clear up my confusion.

09-06-2001, 08:56 PM
Hi. Reputable brands never fail. At the moment we are using Samsung Premium DD-R74 650 meg. They are good - no probs. The Wharehouse sell them at $9.99 for 10 - no jewel case, but great in the Fujitsu CD stacker.

10-06-2001, 10:36 AM
http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd.shtml