PDA

View Full Version : Query.. games on Vista

Myth
14-01-2009, 06:48 AM
I was asked yesterday (via SWMBO) if a Vista machine could be downgraded (from Vista) for the reason of playing games designed for earlier OS's.

I haven't really looked at Vista yet, and not really into gaming.. but [first question] does Vista not have something like XP's compatibility wizard? Whereby games designed for earlier OS's can be played on Vista machines.

Anyway, when I get to talk with the person concerned, I will most likely recommend a virtual desktop application. [Second question] Recommendations please, any free apps, and whats the RAM usage of such an app? (for laptop)

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Yes, it has compatibility modes just like XP :)

Try VirtualBox. It'll use anything from 64MB <-> 1.5GB Ram, you basically pick how much memory you want to allocate to your client OS. Want to run XP with 128MB Ram? No problems. Install it then decide it needs 256? No problems, just increase it using the options provided ;)

Just bear in mind that 3D gaming isnt quite all that good via a Virtual PC

pcuser42
14-01-2009, 08:18 AM
I'm running 8-9 year old games on Vista without a problem and without the compatibility wizard, so no need to downgrade. :)

Driftwood
14-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Laptops are not much good for serious games. Unless you pay big dollars for one.

DeSade
14-01-2009, 09:07 AM
I agree with pcuserwinvista no problems at all
and when I do have a problem (contradictory statement I know) its because I run 64bit not cause its Vista.

Renmoo
14-01-2009, 09:11 AM
I haven't really looked at Vista yet, and not really into gaming.. but [first question] does Vista not have something like XP's compatibility wizard? Whereby games designed for earlier OS's can be played on Vista machines.
Yes it does. Here are the instructions -> http://jamus.dannz.net.nz/technology/programcomp.php

Cheers :)

pctek
14-01-2009, 09:18 AM
What games? Most windows games run happily on Vista.
DOS games run happily in DOSbox.

Blam
14-01-2009, 11:51 AM
+1 For virtualbox, I think its the only virtual os app that supports 3d gfx.