PDA

View Full Version : Installing Windows 7 Beta [Problem]

Netsukeninja
13-01-2009, 11:06 AM
I downloaded the Windows 7 Beta from M$, the md5 hash matches with the iso. I burned it onto a DVD+R at 4x speed with ImgBurn, installs fine on a virtual machine but when it comes to installing it onto an unalocated partition (I resized the WinXP partition with GParted), it gets to "Expanding Files (1%)..." and just sits there for about an hour. So its like 1%/hr.

I don't have these problems installing XP, as I did a clean install a few days ago, nor is my DVD drive broken, because I installed 3 DVD games yesterday and it went fine.

I've searched around but I cannot find a solution! I've burn't the disc twice, downloaded the iso twice! Still doesn't work!

If you need anymore info about my hardware, just ask.

Speedy Gonzales
13-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Probably didnt like the resized partition

Netsukeninja
13-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I've created a partition with GParted, deleted it, then just let Win7 partition it (leaving it unallocated), didn't work.

wainuitech
13-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Had a similar problem the other day, wasn't with W7 though, it was a drive that had XP on, I shrunk the partition, tried to install Vista on the second partition - didn't want to know about it until I formatted the second partition from XP as NTFS - then vista went straight in.

Netsukeninja
13-01-2009, 11:29 AM
So format the partition VIA Disk Managment? (In XP)

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Yup, that should work :)

Netsukeninja
13-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Well, I did that and it still doesn't work. I noticed that my DVD drive spins up a little then just stops.

CYaBro
13-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Perhaps the drive is having a problem reading the DVD you burnt?
Got another disc you can try?

I burnt my copy to a DVD+RW disc to install on the HTPC so I didn't waste a DVD for the Beta :thumbs:

Netsukeninja
13-01-2009, 12:37 PM
I've burn't the disc twice with ImgBurn at 4x speed on Sony (SONY-D21-00) DVD+R discs.

Speedy Gonzales
13-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Have you got any programs that can create a virtual cd??

Like poweriso, or daemon tools (If this can create a virtual cd)?

If you have 1, add the iso to it, then install it. Point it to whatever partition.

Thats what I did for the beta this morning. Since I havent got any blanks at the mo

It worked fine

Netsukeninja
13-01-2009, 12:54 PM
I do have daemon tools, can you give me a few steps on how to do that? thanks! But would the virtual cd be detected at start up? or is there another method to install win7?

Speedy Gonzales
13-01-2009, 01:02 PM
After it rebooted here with Poweriso, I thought it would stop, but it installed fine.

Its running on a pretty old system now (754 1.6 wirh 1.25 GB ram)

I wouldnt have a clue, never used daemontools. find the mount option in it, see if it brings up a cd image

If it does, add the iso to it, open it, then install it

It may pay to put the ISO on the other partition (the partition youre not installing Win7 on first), before adding the ISO to the virtual cd

Netsukeninja
13-01-2009, 01:23 PM
When I add the iso to PowerISO and reboot it doesn't see it or boot from it

Speedy Gonzales
13-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Is poweriso registered?? I dont know if you can do this, if it isnt registered

If it is, run it go to tools (you dont just open the iso in it), select virtual drives, set number of drives to 1. Then go to options change it to automount

Then go back to virtual drives, you'll see a mount to image <letter> option, select it then add the ISO

Then run it from my computer (there will be an extra CD icon) / go into the ISO image (from the cd icon in my computer, then run the install file).

You have to run the install file in the ISO first , then it'll reboot after a few mins of installing files

Let it reboot and it'll continue

Netsukeninja
13-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Looks like its working now, thanks Speedy!

Speedy Gonzales
13-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Cool!

Mr Deck
13-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Installing Windows 7 Beta is it better to install it over Vista? Or can I run it as a second system on my PC? I have another hard drive.

Take care All
Pat

Speedy Gonzales
13-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Unless you want to reinstall Vista after, (it'll run out), I would install Win 7 on a separate partition

Agent_24
13-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Depends on if you want to keep Vista or not I suppose.. I wouldn't wipe out Vista just yet (If you like it) - and besides, it's still a Beta.

Probably best you install it to a different drive and then you can try both out at the same time, see what you like, that sort of thing

Mr Deck
13-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Thank you guys I'll put it on the other hard drive test run it :)
Take care all
Pat