PDA

View Full Version : AVG Free Anti virus

bruciebear
12-01-2009, 08:01 AM
This has been working fine for ages and just to make sure actually uninstalled and installed a new one. But now as it did before for the past few weeks, it gets half way through a scan and it freezes and stops, as well as the mouse freezes. Any suggestions why or how can I get it to continue? Cheers

wratterus
12-01-2009, 08:03 AM
Dump AVG and install Avast (http://avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html). AVG's not very good anymore.

Driftwood
12-01-2009, 08:19 AM
I also prefer Avast but the AVG should still work.
Can you check the event viewer & see if there is a reference to the freeze.

bruciebear
12-01-2009, 08:27 AM
it just says the scan log is corrupted, thanks.

Driftwood
12-01-2009, 08:44 AM
That would be true, but it's the reason for that happining we are after.
Look for other errors at that time.

mzee
12-01-2009, 06:51 PM
I used AVG for years but it has developed update problems. I now use Avast and also Comodo on a laptop which is allergic to Avast. Both are very good.
Comodo also includes a very good fire wall. No problems. Can be a bit of a pain when it is learning, but soon settles down.

Digby
13-01-2009, 05:17 AM
I spent several months on AVG's forum trying to get to the bottom of those corrupt files.

"Their stock answer was to uninstall and then re-install. This will fix the corrupt file."

My answer to them was (like you) that is not a fix ! What causes the file to become corrupt, and why don't you make a utility to rebuild the file to save millions of people having to re-install.

The forum moderators never agreed with me.

So relecnatnly (and due to 2 other bugs/problems) I dumped AVG and installed AVast and have never been happier.

m3dic
13-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Dump AVG and install Avast (http://avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html). AVG's not very good anymore.

What about NOD32? I always found that to be good. Nor does it hog your resources like AVG does.

beeswax34
13-01-2009, 03:33 PM
What about NOD32? I always found that to be good. Nor does it hog your resources like AVG does.

Its not free.

m3dic
13-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Its not free.

Ahh right you are.