PDA

View Full Version : Telecom Security Suite,FREE

timmy5953
11-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Has anyone got a view about the Telecom Security Suite free package i stumbled across in
http://www.telecom.co.nz/broadband/security
It appears to provide McAfee security products to cover the broad spectrum of malware, at no charge where ISP is Xtra. That looks pretty good. But also - "Eligible Telecom Internet account holders will also get free Security Suite upgrades with this licence for as long as they remain an account holder."

I have XP, & presently use Avast, A-squared,Spybot,Windows Defender and CCleaner for my security. Browser is Firefox (I.E. for windows update only)
The idea of a broad spectrum coverage from a single provider, with free ongoing updates, has some appeal. Unless there are some hidden fish-hooks?

Speedy Gonzales
11-01-2009, 09:04 PM
I wouldnt worry about it Avast, or NOD would be better

I would remove windows defender, its crap

gary67
11-01-2009, 09:05 PM
There was a thread about it a while ago, I don't think many people would recommend McAfee here

jwil1
11-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Stick with what youve got. McAfee is as bad as Nortons (which is crap).

Greven
11-01-2009, 09:24 PM
I just can't refrain from commenting on your sig Jwil1 - you complain that Apple only do ridiculously expensive, yet you have a 1.5TB hard drive...

Back on topic - Don't touch the McAfee security suite - it is slow & useless.

timmy5953
11-01-2009, 09:52 PM

and replace it with?? which costs??

Speedy Gonzales
11-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Nothing wrong with Avast Home its free.

You should only have 1 AV program installed

Spybot, A-squared, ccleaner wont stop you from getting hacked. Theyre not firewalls or AV programs

Digby
12-01-2009, 06:35 AM
I would not trust any offer from Telecom.

There is always a catch to it. Their marketing is often very misleading.

Any Timmy, you should think about getting Zonealarm which is a free firewall, as Speedy says, those other programs you are using are not firewalls.

And it is Norton which is crap, not Nortons just like it is John Key, not John Keys. Nortons were good motor bikes (?)

timmy5953
12-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Speedy.thanks for yr help. With the exception of W Defender as my firewall, i am going to stick with what ive got, including Avast as my AV pgm.

Spybot, A-squared, ccleaner wont stop you from getting hacked. Theyre not firewalls or AV programs
i know theyre not firewalls or av pgms. My last thread asked what firewall you wd recommend given -

Digby recommends Zone Alarm as an effective, free, firewall. how do you rate ZoneAlarm?

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Nah I used to use ZA, but it kept on turning its proxy service off, it got annoying. So, I biffed it

The last firewall I had was Comodo firewall, its free as well. BUT, this can annoy some people with it for asking all the time.

At the mo I'm not using any firewall, just the router's firewall

smurf
12-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Try Kerio (now known as Sunbelt Personal Firewall. It's free.

http://shop.sunbelt-software.com/?ref=262VSN-SPF

robbyp
12-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Speedy.thanks for yr help. With the exception of W Defender as my firewall, i am going to stick with what ive got, including Avast as my AV pgm.

i know theyre not firewalls or av pgms. My last thread asked what firewall you wd recommend given -

Digby recommends Zone Alarm as an effective, free, firewall. how do you rate ZoneAlarm?

I installed it on my parents computer for them, and it is fine. It is not bloated like nortons, and doesn't slow down the computer with those annoying popup/updating messages like AVG does.

notechyet
12-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Try Kerio (now known as Sunbelt Personal Firewall. It's free.

http://shop.sunbelt-software.com/?ref=262VSN-SPF

See Kerio download page in my sig.
I have been using it for some time. It is low on resources usage and reasonably easy to modify.