PDA

View Full Version : Network/Internet usage/monitoring

forumusernz
11-01-2009, 06:40 PM
We have a limited internet cap (1G) and occasionally we breach the limit, but I am not sure why. Our system contains two Laptops (XP & Vista), Wi-Fi router connected to our broadband router.

What I would like to know is what the usage of the different activities (web surfing, downloads, automatic updates, etc), I am not interested monitoring exactly which websites we visit.

Our doesn't show enough detailed information (just how much used each day). Is there a way to get windows to monitor the traffic or is there any recommended programs i can use?

And yes before you ask I have googled such programs but would prefer not to have to install 5 of them before finding the correct one.

Thanks in advance,

Ross

pcuser7895
11-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Welcome to PF1

are you trying to monitor what websites or activities are wasting your usage?

Speedy Gonzales
11-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Is the wi-fi secure / encrypted?? If youre using it?

What ISP are you with?

Have you scanned them for malware / viruses?

pcuser7895
11-01-2009, 06:57 PM
I think telstra, my friend has telstra and can monitor usage but i'm with sling shot and i don't think i can

pctek
11-01-2009, 06:58 PM
We have a limited internet cap (1G) and occasionally we breach the limit, but I am not sure why.

Speedy has the main idea. The wifi and malware.

And depending who your ISP is you should be able to log in there and see your monthly and daily usage.

And what are you downloading? Because downloads can chew through data........

gary67
11-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Who has the BB monitor in their sig I can't remember but will need installing on both machines. How many emails with pics do you get a week, how much you tube watching or other video watching do you do? Don't forget all those software and windows updates all these add to you usuage

beeswax34
11-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Who has the BB monitor in their sig I can't remember but will need installing on both machines. How many emails with pics do you get a week, how much you tube watching or other video watching do you do? Don't forget all those software and windows updates all these add to you usuage

That would be me but it won't show the different types of usage. The best way to be able to do that would be to install Tomato or DD-WRT firmware on the router.

forumusernz
12-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I will try and respond to each one.

PCUSER: Not worried to much about which websites, although it could be handy. Just want to know something like how much each activity take up, ie not worried where but how much.

Speedy: My Wi-Fi is as secure as my router will allow (hidden ID, top encryption level, 6+digit alphanumeric, f2 fixed mac addresses). Ad I think it is probably not outside influences, as we regularly get up to 0.8 gb each month. For better or worse I have McAfee running and it has not detected anything (but then it wouldn't detect windows update as malware :D. I am with Orcon, as I said in my post they tell me how much I use each day but I want to know more detail.

PCteck: Yes one could easy chew through 1GB in downloads in a couple of days. I try and hold back any urgent downloads until the end of the month or do them at work.

Gary: not sure how much ytube etc that is what I would like to measure.

Beeswax: I didn't know you could do that... (I have a netgear wgr614 would need more investigation to know if it world work). BTW I typed tomato into goggle and expected a whole load of stuff but it was second on the list after wikipedia entry. I will have to look into it further.

Hope that covered everyone...apologies if I missed someone.

Ross

Chilling_Silence
12-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Try putting this on each of the devices, will show you at least *who* is using it:
http://www.desksoft.com/BWMeter.htm

You'd be surprised if you keep an eye on it, it'll tell you just how much Internet usage you can do in a few minutes of surfing...

BWMeter is great because it separates LAN from Internet traffic :)

Blam
12-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Are any of you running P2P sharing programs?

+1 for Tomato and DD-WRT firmware:thumbs: you can pick up a compatible router(Asus WL-520GC) for 60 bucks these days