PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 - Why bother ?

Digby
11-01-2009, 06:27 AM
Steve Ballmer's keynote speech

"But Windows 7 aims to resolve many problems PC users had with Vista. For instance, Microsoft pledges to make it easier to install peripheral devices and to have the software pump out fewer annoying warnings and notifications."

That does not sound like a new OS to me !

Where are the new features ?

Is the kernel smaller ?

Sounds more like a Vista SP to me.

somebody
11-01-2009, 06:35 AM
Early indications suggest that it's much faster than Vista, and has had a lot of UI features added which wouldn't typically be in a SP.

SurferJoe46
11-01-2009, 06:58 AM
I disagree about more speed etc.

Preliminary results are that it is somewhat slower since it's also moribund with code like all it's predecessors. I think I posted an article on the speed - or LACK of speed problems - with it.

< edit > I found it:

-- Attempts to upgrade from XP were met by a warning that: "To upgrade to Windows 7, the computer needs to be running Vista with Service Pack 1 (SP1) or later. Upgrading from Windows XP to any edition of Windows 7 is not supported;"

-- On the same PC test bed, performance measured by Primate Labs' Geekbench 2.1 benchmarking software indicates that performance deteriorates slightly on the same PC from Windows XP to Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate;

-- Once Vista SP1 is installed and running, the upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate took an hour and 16 minutes. It is an extremely smooth upgrade -- something that could be a relief to a channel and a market that suffered extreme headaches in trying to go from XP to Vista. Compared to complaints from the market during previous OS upgrades, Vista-to-Windows 7 is a breeze, introduces subtle-but-nice interface changes and provides refreshingly strong support for several basic drivers and applications.

Our test bed was built with an AMD (NYSE:AMD) Phenom 9550 Quad-Core processor at 2.20GHz, 4 GB of RAM, an Nvidia (NSDQ:NVDA) 6100 nForce 4300 card. In our upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate, we included, among other applications, Firefox 3.0,Google (NSDQ: GOOG) Chrome and Safari browsers; Microsoft Office 2007; WordPerfect Office X4; Skype; the Digsby IM client; a FireFox plug-in, Ubiquity; and a new, free application made available this week, from Tech Smith, called "Jing," which provides for image and video desktop screen captures. Adobe Flash player was also on the Vista system.

somebody
11-01-2009, 07:06 AM
I disagree about more speed etc.

Preliminary results are that it is somewhat slower since it's also moribund with code like all it's predecessors. I think I posted an article on the speed - or LACK of speed problems - with it.

< edit > I found it:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3236&page=2

gary67
11-01-2009, 07:21 AM
I'll wait for the full release before deciding whether to upgrade from XP as all these betas aren't the full release how can you be 100% certain the final will be like the beta

Chilling_Silence
11-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Yup, sounds like SP2 was for XP, just a big patch with the security center and things, many fixes ...

Will be sticking with my XP / Linux wherever possible :)

somebody
11-01-2009, 09:10 AM
There are a lot of changes to the UI - tidying up stuff which was never "vista-fied" properly. The Control Panel and various aspects of system-related "stuff" has been made more consistent with the rest of the OS, and (in theory) made easier to use.

jwil1
11-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Have any of you Vista-haters used Vista or 7 as your main OS for more than a day?

Might be time for a second look :)

Twelvevolts
11-01-2009, 09:26 AM
No hurry - Vista is working just fine for me and we're even getting it at work shortly as well. Still have one old PC on XP but like the PC, it looks a bit old and tired these days. I'm sure I'll go out and get 7 when it comes out, never understood this desire to stay with the old, always want to try the new stuff myself.

gary67
11-01-2009, 09:39 AM
No I couldn't be bothered to upgrade from XP as it does everything I need it to do and why would I spend money just to upgrade when I don't need to. I have used Vista on other machines and yes it's nice to look at and use but it didn't offer me anything that I don't already have. I will check out 7 when I get the chance but it will need to be significantly better than XP to make me spend the money before XP is discontinued with support and then I might switch full time to Linux

wainuitech
11-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Some of the New media features dont work on any other OS apart from W7 or server 2008 ( even Vista is left in the cold) - it was mentioned in another post a while back by someone that the older OS's will be left behind as the new features are are not backwards compatible with them.

Most of the PC's here run one or another version of XP (do have a couple of Vista's) - But if a person wants to use new features then there may be no choice to move to the newer OS's.

Its fine if a person has an OS that does every thing they want, theres no need to change, and I'm all for that as well. :thumbs:

SurferJoe46
11-01-2009, 10:02 AM
I just heard Leo LePorte (KFI640.com) say that if you load the new "7" in from Vista, that you cannot go back to Vista.

Hmmmm! Sure sales that way methinks!

somebody
11-01-2009, 10:23 AM
I just heard Leo LePorte (KFI640.com) say that if you load the new "7" in from Vista, that you cannot go back to Vista.

Hmmmm! Sure sales that way methinks!

You never could with any other OS upgrade. If you installed as a dual-boot however, that is a different story.

wainuitech
11-01-2009, 10:25 AM

Hmmmm! Sure sales that way methinks! thats actually not unexpected - and if any one who moans about it obviously didn't read the FAQ about the beta --- Quoted from the FAQ :
The Windows 7 Beta will stop working on August 1, 2009.

To continue using your PC, please be prepared to reinstall a prior version of Windows or a subsequent release of Windows 7 before the expiration date. See Installing the Windows 7 Beta.

pcuser7895
11-01-2009, 11:28 AM
so some ppl that upraded will have to buy another versionof vista b4 august?

robbyp
11-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Steve Ballmer's keynote speech

"But Windows 7 aims to resolve many problems PC users had with Vista. For instance, Microsoft pledges to make it easier to install peripheral devices and to have the software pump out fewer annoying warnings and notifications."

That does not sound like a new OS to me !

Where are the new features ?

Is the kernel smaller ?

Sounds more like a Vista SP to me.

From what I have heard, it is largely what Vista should have been, without all the annoyances, and an interface facelift to make it look different. People who upgrade from XP to 7 will have exactly the same compatibility problems they would if they went from xp to vista. However if you upgrade from vista to 7, you shouldn't encounter hardly any, as they backends are so similar. Vista was a huge upgrade from XP, 7 won't be so much. I wouldn't buy a new PC now until 7 comes outlater this year, as who wants vista, when you can have 7, which is a vista without the annoyances.

wainuitech
11-01-2009, 11:41 AM
NO ! simply reinstall Vista if thats the case - There wont be a problem unless the person had a recovery partition and deleted it,( No DVD) or lost the Vista DVD - its still the same hardware so there shouldn't even be a problem with activation.

Quite simply you shouldn't put beta software on a critical PC as a Main OS. Either VM it, or like many do Dual boot, or slap on another Spare HDD.

pcuser7895
11-01-2009, 11:45 AM
From what I have heard, it is largely what Vista should have been, without all the annoyances, and an interface facelift to make it look different. People who upgrade from XP to 7 will have exactly the same compatibility problems they would if they went from xp to vista. However if you upgrade from vista to 7, you shouldn't encounter hardly any, as they backends are so similar. Vista was a huge upgrade from XP, 7 won't be so much. I wouldn't buy a new PC now until 7 comes outlater this year, as who wants vista, when you can have 7, which is a vista without the annoyances.

i think that a shift from xp 7 will be better than a shift from xp to vista because
if u transfered to 7 , u won't have to moan so much

pcuser7895
11-01-2009, 11:49 AM
NO ! simply reinstall Vista if thats the case - There wont be a problem unless the person had a recovery partition and deleted it,( No DVD) or lost the Vista DVD - its still the same hardware so there shouldn't even be a problem with activation.

Quite simply you shouldn't put beta software on a critical PC as a Main OS. Either VM it, or like many do Dual boot, or slap on another Spare HDD.

but if u can't downgrade, u will have to reinstall and the number of installs on a
DVD is limited so i said SOME people meaning the people that had already used all their installs and had upgraded to 7 on their last install.

Speedy Gonzales
11-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Who said the amount of installs is limited? You brought it, you can install it as many times as you like

Just as long as you install it on the same system

pcuser7895
11-01-2009, 12:01 PM
really? so if u buy an install DVD it will let u install windows on it as many times as u like untill the DVD has broken

Speedy Gonzales
11-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Why not?

Thats if you want to reinstall it / do a clean install obviously.

Any other version of Windows, will let you install it numerous times (on the same system)

Why would Vista / Windows 7 be any different?

robbyp
11-01-2009, 12:16 PM
but if u can't downgrade, u will have to reinstall and the number of installs on a
DVD is limited so i said SOME people meaning the people that had already used all their installs and had upgraded to 7 on their last install.

What do you mean the number of installs is limited? You can reinstall an OS as many times as you want. From what I have heard the beta of 7 is very stable, but it should should never be installed on a PC you use every day as your main computer. Youshould only instal it on a secondary computer.

SolMiester
11-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Windows 7 is running fine as a VMWare VM for me. Not having much luck with fre a/v software however, not worried about viruses, as its not the main o\s.

I like it so far, no annoying pop up for user rights, very quick boot too!

Hitech
11-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Speedy are you running windows 7 yet?

For those that are worried about win7 expiring on aug 1st if you get a key that is not a MS key you can keep on running it past that date so my friend told me any way he did the same with vista when it first came out and he still ran the beta past the expiry date

Speedy Gonzales
11-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Nope, I didnt download Windows 7.

I've got no blank DVD's anyway. Besides running it in VirtualPC

pctek
11-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Have any of you Vista-haters used Vista or 7 as your main OS for more than a day?

Yes I have.
Both an "as is" install and again with Vlite.
Neither impressed me.
But then I like my O/Ss as minimal as possible.