PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS Graphics and Vista

waituke
10-01-2009, 05:05 PM
I have just installed a new Geforce 7600GS Graphics Card and when I try to run a DVD or watch a TV Channell on the internet monitor goes into sleep mode. To my knowledge i have downloaded and install the latest drivers. My OS is Vista Home Premium. Can any one help

hueybot3000
10-01-2009, 09:30 PM
how much video memory? i had a 7300gs running vista while my other graphics card was being repaired and that was fine so id think that yours is more than enough for vista

using this driver?

32bit os
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_181.20_whql.html

64bit os
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_181.20_whql.html

hueybot3000
10-01-2009, 09:32 PM
another thing worth checking would be the card temperature, do you play games? if yes and its stable id say the temps are fine but if not definitely worth a look

SolMiester
10-01-2009, 10:19 PM
I have just installed a new Geforce 7600GS Graphics Card and when I try to run a DVD or watch a TV Channell on the internet monitor goes into sleep mode. To my knowledge i have downloaded and install the latest drivers. My OS is Vista Home Premium. Can any one help

the monitor is going to sleep as the dvd program doesnt seem to be compatible completely with Vista, or there is a setting you are missing. Vista thinks that as the mouse isnt moving no one is using the pc...

it might help if you use the Vista DVD media player or perhaps tell us the DVD program so we can check for issues, updates or setting...

Nothing to do with the card you just installed...

hueybot3000
10-01-2009, 10:27 PM
it would only be if vista thinks the mouse isnt movin if it took however long he has it set to sleep once he started the dvd, it sounds like its instant which isnt normal

more likely dvd software thou, waituke are you using windows media player?

wainuitech
10-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Right click the screen / Screen saver ( from memory)or Personalize then screen saver - look for power management - select what ever one you have, open its settings and move the option to never - the default is to put the Monitor to sleep after about 15 minutes from memory.

waituke
11-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Many thanks to all your replies. To answer some questions.
I am using Vista Windows Media Centre.
I have 256 graphic memory
I have set the power management to never

I also think it may be a heat problem with the card as if the heat sink is turning monitor off after about 5 minutes
What do I do to fix this problem please

hueybot3000
11-01-2009, 12:34 PM
have you checked temps? if they are hot you can attempt to take off the heatsink and reapply the paste on the gpu (little chip under it) also if the fan is full of dust clean that out

waituke
11-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Should there be a fan on the video card because I feel heat is the problem

davidmmac
11-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Should there be a fan on the video card because I feel heat is the problem

I have a 7600GS that has no fan, just a heatsink. It plays fifa 09 on high, call of duty 4 demo on recommended settings (I didn't fiddle with these), v8 supercars 3 on high, and doesn't have problems playing dvd's. Try checking the temperature, maybe yours is faulty.

hueybot3000
11-01-2009, 01:27 PM
doesnt have to have a fan, but if coolin is an issue you can always put one in your case facing the card, id try resetting the geatsink if you think your up for it thou

you need thermal paste and about 2 minutes, take off heatsink, clean both surfaces (they'l be gunk stuff on it) be a bit careful cleanin the actual card otherwise your could damage it. put a small blob of paste on the chip and sit the heatsink back down firmly so it spreads evenly. also when you got the heatsink back on make sure its sittin flat on the card

waituke
11-01-2009, 02:31 PM
To probably silly questions but how do I check the temp. and what should it be
Many thanks for all the help

hueybot3000
11-01-2009, 03:26 PM
i use everest, not sure if theres a free version or not

try find a download and see if a trial version lets you check temps, if it does you find it under computer->sensor on the left menu, itl have something like gpu, gpu memory, gpu ambient there

http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en

couldnt tell you what its meant to be as i dont use the card and my card is cooled a bit differently