PDA

View Full Version : install windows on laptop with broken DVD drive?

chojin
09-01-2009, 02:51 PM
I have an old laptop which im trying to install windows on. the DVD drive doesn't work so i transferred the harddrive to another laptop and installed windows from there. Now when i have the drive back in the original laptop windows won't even load in safe mode. Im guessing this is because of differences in hardware between the two machines. Also the bios doesnt have the option to boot from usb so cant attack it from that direction. Is there anything i can do short of replacing the DVD drive?
Thanks for any help in advance!

pctek
09-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Yep sometimes that happens.

What I'd try is re-do it, but when Windows does it reboot bit after its first initial load - then put the drive back in the original and see if it will continue from there.

If it won't well then you'll need to get a new drive - you can get USB DVD drives you know..........

Renmoo
09-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Also the bios doesnt have the option to boot from usb so cant attack it from that direction
There are ways to overcome that limitation, though I can't seem to be able to rediscover that link from Google.

chojin
09-01-2009, 04:39 PM
yea i tried that but without the disc it didnt seem to do anything. does it still need the install disc after the reset during install? also since the bios doesnt have an option to boot from usb i couldnt use a usb dvd drive, or could I?

beama
09-01-2009, 05:29 PM
you ll have to reinstall but instead of install from another pc/lappy just format the drive then copy the contents of the I386 folder to the hard drive
then run this install from there on the system you want to install to.
you will need to boot from usb stick though goto bootdisk.com for instruction on how to make a bootable usb device

hueybot3000
09-01-2009, 06:02 PM
is it possible to access a dvd drive on another computer thru network before windows boots?

pheonix
09-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Just move the HDD to another computer and format using the "System" switch. Then copy the I386 folder to the drive and put the drive back into the original computer.
On booting up you will end up with a flashing cursor prompt. Change directory into the I386 folder. Then just enter the instruction WINNT
Or, providing the folder is called I386,
C:\I386\winnt

pcuser7895
09-01-2009, 07:35 PM
i don't think so, but if do manage to do that, i don't think u can install a whole OS when u can't even install simple webcam drivers

hueybot3000
09-01-2009, 08:02 PM
ahk makes sense, ive never tried it. installing from usb is the hardest thing ive done with installs

pcuser7895
09-01-2009, 08:23 PM
woudn't u have to boot into windows to install the USB Dvd drive?

wainuitech
09-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Done this once - worked perfectly- go to This site (http://www.syschat.com/install-windows-xp-without-floppy-cd-463.html) - follow the instructions to the letter and no reason it wont work - all you need is 1 working PC and a XP CD - oh and maybe an adaptor.

pcuser7895
09-01-2009, 08:32 PM
why not just plug in a working dvd drive? is the other machine u used to install xp use the same drive type?

hueybot3000
09-01-2009, 08:39 PM
woudn't u have to boot into windows to install the USB Dvd drive?

was that to me? if so i meant usb flashdisk

pcuser7895
09-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Also the bios doesnt have the option to boot from usb so cant attack it from that direction.

doesnt have the option to boot from usb

hueybot3000
09-01-2009, 10:46 PM
yeah id noticed that, sorta just hijacked the thread out of curiosity about the network thing :)

chojin
13-01-2009, 05:48 PM
ok iv managed to install windows by transferring the dvd drive from the other laptop. but theres a small problem, as soon as windows starts to load the screen backlight turns off.

iv tried installing the ati video driver but the install failed and suggested i install standard vga drivers first.. is this even a video driver issue? the keys to turn up the backlight dont work either im guessing the keyboard needs a special sony driver also.

any ideas how to fix this or do i need to track down the system recovery disc?

Renmoo
13-01-2009, 07:44 PM
ok iv managed to install windows by transferring the dvd drive from the other laptop. but theres a small problem, as soon as windows starts to load the screen backlight turns off.

iv tried installing the ati video driver but the install failed and suggested i install standard vga drivers first.. is this even a video driver issue? the keys to turn up the backlight dont work either im guessing the keyboard needs a special sony driver also.

any ideas how to fix this or do i need to track down the system recovery disc?
Try connecting an external display device to the display port, perhaps?

Cheers :)