PDA

View Full Version : Misplaced my XP Disc - am I stuffed?

Chikara
08-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi all,

I was trying to fix a problem I had (Help & Support from Start menu wasn't working), and the solution required access to my original windows CD to reinstall some files.

Now, for the life of me I can't find it anywhere :mad:
I know I had one when I got the PC, and I wouldn't have thrown it away so it must be somewhere around... just can't find it though. Grrrr.

Anyway, I do have my original CD key which is on a sticker on the side of the case - does anyone know if it's possible to get a replacement Win XP Pro CD from Microsoft or elsewhere in situations like this? Obviously I don't want to buy a whole new one with another key.

I know I could probably borrow someone else's CD and use my key with it (that's legal isn't it?) but i don't want to keep on having to do that everytime I need access to the Windows CD.

This is legit, as I said I do have my legitimate CD key, and the original disc that I've misplaced was a genuine disc.

Thanks

CYaBro
08-01-2009, 02:43 PM
If you have the Product Key sticker on the case then you can use any OEM XP Pro CD.
Someone you know should have one you can take a copy of.
It is legal if you have your own key.

Greven
08-01-2009, 02:44 PM
You can just make a copy of someone else's CD as long as it is the correct version, or Microsoft will send you a new CD for a small charge.

Chikara
08-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Oh ok, cool.
Yep, CYaBro, i definitely still have my own product key.
Ill try and borrow someones disc that I can copy (I assume then there's no copy protection on the disc that would stop me making a copy?), otherwise I'll try Microsoft.
Thanks for the help.

pctek
08-01-2009, 03:23 PM
(I assume then there's no copy protection on the disc that would stop me making a copy?),

The protection is the sticker on your PC so any CDwriter software will copy it.

bob_doe_nz
08-01-2009, 03:50 PM
...Microsoft will send you a new CD for a small charge.

$50 ain't a small charge.

Chikara
08-01-2009, 08:23 PM
$50?? :eek:
Ouch!
Ok, I'll definitely go with plan 'A' then and try and borrow a disc to copy.

stormdragon
08-01-2009, 08:31 PM
While your at it you might as well use something like nlite and slipstream the latest updates before burning yourself a new disk.

Chikara
09-01-2009, 10:54 AM
While your at it you might as well use something like nlite and slipstream the latest updates before burning yourself a new disk.

I've looked at Nlite in the past, but never done it... I should really investigate that properly. I've got the discs still for Win XP SP2 and SP3, so once I get a copy of the original disc, should I be able to make just one disc that has all those updates included in the installation? What about security updates since SP3, do I need to re-download them, or can I use the files that must be somewhere on my PC already?
I read the NLite guide but it was a bit vague on that part.

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2009, 11:05 AM
I think you can use cab files for Nlite, but first you have to figure out WHICH cab files

It'll probably be better getting / redownloading the updates after SP3, then slipstreaming all of them

Greven
09-01-2009, 11:09 AM
I've looked at Nlite in the past, but never done it... I should really investigate that properly. I've got the discs still for Win XP SP2 and SP3, so once I get a copy of the original disc, should I be able to make just one disc that has all those updates included in the installation? What about security updates since SP3, do I need to re-download them, or can I use the files that must be somewhere on my PC already?
I read the NLite guide but it was a bit vague on that part.

you will need to re-download the patches to integrate them into your cd. Check out http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack-sp3.html - it is a single package of most the updates that came out after SP3. It is really easy to integrate using Nlite.

Media Player 11 & IE7 aren't included in the updates, but you can download them separately & integrate them with Nlite. You can use the official installer for IE7, but if you want WMP11, you will have to download it from the Nlite addons website.

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2009, 11:14 AM
You can use WMP 11 Slipstreamer, to slipstream WMP11. Its a separate program

All you have to do with this, is point it to the XP folder on the hdd, then add the hotfixes for it underneath.

Then once Nlite creates the ISO (remember to tick the option for the ISO), IE 7, WMP11 and XP SP3 / its updates will be in the ISO. All you have to do, is burn it to cd

You can also add the .net framework files (If you can find the right file that is). So you wont have to install them after you do a clean install