PDA

View Full Version : Isp's IE6' and routers

JJJJJ
08-01-2009, 09:34 AM
For about 12 months I had a theoretical download speed of 4300kbps and an upload speed of abt 690 kbps.
Then about two months ago my dl speed dropped to about 2,500 kbps. And it has not increased since.. At 5 am this morning I got 2755kbps.

I am on Xnet's Flood plan.

I have been chasing Xnet with e-mails and phone calls. They tried to tell me I am getting the maximum speed my line will take. Obviously a lie. They have had Telecom doing a line check for the past two weeks. But still no improvement.

I did a complete re-install of XP a couple of weeks ago. That made no difference. I have replaced the line splitter. No change.. All my connections have been checked and rechecked.

Should I change to IE 7
Should I buy a new router?
Should I look for a new ISP?

I don't realy want to do any of the above, but I want my 4000+ kbps back

Safari
08-01-2009, 09:42 AM
You replaced the line filter. Have you only got the one?
Do you not have other phones, faxes, sky digital etc connected to filters which could also be faulty.
Are you using any extension leads or double adapters.

I suppose you have rebooted your modem within the last 2 months.

jwil1
08-01-2009, 09:50 AM
You're still using IE!? http://getfirefox.com

pctek
08-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Should I look for a new ISP?

I don't realy want to do any of the above, but I want my 4000+ kbps back

Thats about the only thing that may make a difference.
Could be more traffic in your area too.

Trev
08-01-2009, 11:05 AM
I don't think you well get your speed back. I'm on Max D/L speed and i only get what you get.
:)

Chilling_Silence
08-01-2009, 11:36 AM
A lot can affect it, such as:
1) Router
2) Computer / Browser / RAM
3) Poor Line Filter
4) Other devices plugged in without a filter
5) Number of people on your exchange
6) Number of people on your exchange using the internet at the same time as you
7) ISPs pipe from the Exchange back to the main Intrawebz Pipe!

If there are other ISP's in your area who dont wholesale off Telecom (As Xnet do AFAIK), then it might be worth trying them. Orcon have made great progress in AK, but Im unsure of rotovegas sorry ...

JJJJJ
08-01-2009, 01:10 PM
You replaced the line filter. Have you only got the one?
Do you not have other phones, faxes, sky digital etc connected to filters which could also be faulty.
Are you using any extension leads or double adapters.

I suppose you have rebooted your modem within the last 2 months.

Nothing so basic
I have one phone outlet and nothing pluged in except splitter. Router gets booted at least six times a day

Greven
08-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Nothing so basic
I have one phone outlet and nothing pluged in except splitter. Router gets booted at least six times a day

You don't have a phone? If that is the case, try plugging the router directly into the phone jack. If you don't have a BT (NZ phone plug) to RJ12 (US phone plug) cable, ask a local tech & they will probably have a spare they can give you.

Safari
08-01-2009, 02:34 PM
You don't have a phone? If that is the case, try plugging the router directly into the phone jack. If you don't have a BT (NZ phone plug) to RJ12 (US phone plug) cable, ask a local tech & they will probably have a spare they can give you.

Why bother. He has already replaced the filter.
He may have his phone connected to the phone port of the filter.

Chilling_Silence
09-01-2009, 11:04 PM
No router should require rebooting 6x a day -- Get rid of it if you start having to reboot it anywhere even *near* daily! Thats horrible ...

decibel
11-01-2009, 08:40 PM
... Then about two months ago my dl speed dropped to about 2,500 kbps...

Is this the speed reported by your modem or from some download test site ?

pcuser7895
11-01-2009, 08:49 PM
2.500 KB/s
:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool

JJJJJ
12-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Is this the speed reported by your modem or from some download test site ?
It's taken from about four test sites.

But the actual figures are not the reason for my complaint.

I have been getting downloads at X speed for a year. Then overnight my speed dropped to not much more than 1/2 X.
Then xnet try to tell me I am getting "all the speed my line will take"

decibel
12-01-2009, 05:23 PM
It's taken from about four test sites.

But the actual figures are not the reason for my complaint.

I have been getting downloads at X speed for a year. Then overnight my speed dropped to not much more than 1/2 X.
Then xnet try to tell me I am getting "all the speed my line will take"

Then what is the speed your modem reports?
If it is consistently higher, then your problem is probably with your ISP and you shouldn't take any of that "all the speed my line will take" B*S

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Ive had HUGE fluxuations in speeds lately from a variety of sources. Ping times also suffer a bit when the speeds drop.

Basically Im putting it down to the local exchange when it does this for me, and it quite possibly is overloaded in your case too.

The question is, are there any ISPs in your area who *dont* wholesale off Telecom?

maccrazy
13-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Should I change to IE 7

For the sake of web designers (http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2009/01/09/sitepoint-podcast-6-what-to-do-about-internet-explorer-6/), please upgrade from IE6 - preferably to Firefox or Safari, but IE7 would still be a dramatic improvement. I doubt it will affect your download speeds, but modern browsers will render pages faster and more accurately (I, like many others, no longer check for IE6 compatibility when designing sites - it's just too older and not economical to spend so much time making adjustments).

JJJJJ
13-01-2009, 09:41 AM
For the sake of web designers (http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2009/01/09/sitepoint-podcast-6-what-to-do-about-internet-explorer-6/), please upgrade from IE6 - preferably to Firefox or Safari, but IE7 would still be a dramatic improvement. I doubt it will affect your download speeds, but modern browsers will render pages faster and more accurately (I, like many others, no longer check for IE6 compatibility when designing sites - it's just too older and not economical to spend so much time making adjustments).

I have changed to IE7 Made exactly no difference.
Xnet have just told me that Telecom report that if I get 3000 kbps that is satisfactory. But this morning at 6 am my max download speed was 1900 kbps. I am 3.5 kms from the exchange.
I am going out now to buy a new router and if that doesn't improve things I will be looking for a new ISP.

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Please dont buy D-Link! ;)

Greven
13-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Please dont buy D-Link! ;)

Dlink non-wireless stuff is quite good these days in my opinion. Don't buy dlink wireless gear.

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Havent really tried anything newer than the 502T / 504T, not a big fan of those, and despise the 302G's with a vengeance!