PDA

View Full Version : Trend Micro Internet startup

Mr Blonde
07-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Hi there

I have Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 and RegCure.

Both these little beasties want to access my internet (which is dial-up) every time I start up my computer - a Dell X1710.

I have Googled this problem and found a program called "IEClose" which the maker claims will stop any program using IE without my permission. I much prefer Firefox but there's just no convincing some people....

So my question is: Is there a way to tell Trend Micro and Regcure NOT to access the Internet automatically? Actually, the truth is I'm seriously considering going to Kaspersky anyway and I don't know what possessed me to go to RegCure as I had RegistryFix and that worked fine for me so I'll probably re-install that.

And my bonus - for 20 points and a brown paper bag - has anyone heard of/used "IE Close" and if so is it any good?

Thanks
Mr Blonde - Ear Removals A Speciality

wainuitech
07-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Welcome toPF1 - Half the time those reg fix programs cause more damage than the actually fix. Personally I have had to repair MANY registries on customers PC's after using regcure.

Dont use trend Micro - its crap / unstable - usually slows down the PC to much and IT wants to tell you what it IS going to do instead of the operator telling the software.

Someplace in the settings should be the option to turn off auto updates.

Regarding IE - if you set FF to be your default browser then any Internet access will be Via FF. The Main one that needs IE most of the time is windows updates, there is a way around that as well.

Mr Blonde
07-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I have turned off auto-update options - for both TM and RC. One of the first things I did when I installed them.

Would it shock you to know that it makes no difference?

Think some uninstalling of TM and RC and a new anti-virus and registry program is called for.

Mr Blonde

wainuitech
07-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Wouldn't shock me at all that they still do auto updates if it's told not to - as mentioned some programs tell the owner what ITS GOING to do weather they like it or not. :groan:

As for Reg programs - if you download Ccleaner from my sig, install - on the left is a reg cleanup option - many people here use it and it usually works fine.

As for AV's - If you want free - Avast - or Paid Nod32 will do the job nicely.

davidmmac
07-01-2009, 03:33 PM
We used to use trend micro 2008, but it slowed the computer down, blocked legit programs that it usually accepted, and updating took ages. We've since moved onto avast, which is excellent :)

gary67
07-01-2009, 03:45 PM
X2 for Avast and ccleaner both just do there job no hassles

wratterus
07-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Just today on a laptop I removed trend micro and installed Eset Smart Security (the full security suite version of NOD32) and straight away it picked up two threats running in memory, and the boot time of the laptop (XP with 1.5GB RAM and dual core processor) halved.

Highly recommend dumping Trend Micro and getting an Eset product, or if you can't justify spending more $$$ on AV use Avast Home. Thats still much nicer than trend micro's software.

Also dump reg cure, like Waiuni I've seen cause all kinds of problems. CCleaner is great as a cleanup program, and works without causing problems. I run it many times a day on all kinds of PCs, never had one issue.

:thumbs:

SolMiester
08-01-2009, 09:57 AM
I have Trend 2009 suite running quite happily on 2 x Vista PC's...havent had any problems so far after 1 month...will let you know if it becomes an issue...

Dont forget, most PC issues are from user input, not the installed software..